ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
! sort of wish I hadn't found this out. Ever since learning about the doubles, I always think about it when I see those shots. It "takes me out of the movie" for a moment. Sad

I don't see why it should. The use of doubles to stand in for principal actors in second-unit footage has been standard filmmaking practice for decades.

Yeah, I understand, Scot. Very Happy

All I'm saying is that the moment I see those brief scenes in Washington, I remember for a moment that I'm not really seeing Klaatu and Bobby (naturally) — and I'm not even sseing Michael Rennie and Billy Gray!

I'm seeing Double Number 1 and Double Number 2. Rolling Eyes

It's a just a quick thought that runs through my mind for a moment, sort of like the way we have to accept the fact that Gort carries two mannequins up the ramp instead of Klaatu and Helen.

And those "doubles" aren't even real people! Shocked

By the way, I love those two gifs you posted.
Mr. Green
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, it would have to be the army (or Marines, but the Army was probably closer) that showed up, as Washington D.C. is a Federal district where none of the surrounding states have jurisdiction.

Movies have been completed with Star's doubles due to accident, illness, incapacitation or death of an actor. Two examples are "The Crow" which was completed with Brandon Lee's double after his death. In "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad. Mad World", where the chase scene at the end was done with Spencer Tracy's body double due to his frail physical condition. Mr. Tracy only appeared in the close scenes.

They even do it in TV shows as well as movies. It is more economical to use the Star's doubles where it would cost more to use the Stars for long distance scenes at a location that would keep them from being available for the main scenes. Both are usually filmed at the same time to save time and costs.

In the "Battlestar Galactica" miniseries the location scenes in Egypt were all body doubles. The body double for Jane Seymour was actually a man, because women were not allowed where they filmed. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well Honey, you said you wanted to see Earth. Okay, so this is Earth. Now, can we please go home . . . before they shoot our chauffeur?"

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:06 am; edited 2 times in total
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hoot-and-a-half, Bud.
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to side track the thread, but While on vacation last week in Ierland I found out what happened to Gort after the events of the movie.

Apparently he was very impressed with Earth, but Washington was just a bit too busy for him. So he settled in the middle of Ierland to the quiet life of a local land owner. He became so loved/feared that they named the town after him!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: