ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Let's Create a Remake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: The Day the Earth Stood Still - Let's Create a Remake Reply with quote

Let's Create a Remake!

~ A Question for the Members: Why did Klaatu say he'd traveled 250 million miles when he MUST have traveled many light years to reach Earth from the "other planets" he says have devised a way to completely eliminate aggression"?

~ Here's what I came up with.: I proposed an idea in the War of the Worlds thread that I'm rather proud of. The blue text below is copied from that post, followed by the black text which describes something I came up with yesterday that I think you guys are going to really enjoy. Cool

In this marvelous age of digital communications, computer generated images, binary data storage, and security cameras, we've come to rely on electronic eyes to do our seeing for us.

For example, when you really think about it, the only ACTUAL pictures we have of the planet Mars that are made through a ground-based telescope — rather than being transmitted from space — are the ones like this!

But just for fun, suppose Mars really looks like THIS. (Click on the image to get the bigger version so you can zoom in and see all the circular swimming pools the rich Martian folks have!)

And suppose there are fabulous Martian cities which look like THIS.

Now, hold on guys, I know what you're thinking!

"Bud, how can Mars look like THAT from space and have futuristic cities on the surface when we've seen pictures that clearly show it does NOT!?" Rolling Eyes

Yes, we HAVE seen pictures. They were pictures sent to us by radio transmissions from space. But were these transmissions really sent from sources like the Hubble telescope or the space probes which flew past the planet or the Martian rovers on the surface? Confused

Or . . . were they actually fake images, sent to us by the Martians? Shocked

If there actually are Martians who live on a beautiful terraformed planet and they have a highly advanced technology, they would be aware that their nearest neighbor in space is dangerously hostile — even to each other on Earth!

So, wouldn't these advanced aliens hide there existence from us?

Hell's bells, of course they would! Shocked

And how would they do that?

It's simple! Very Happy

They'd just block all the legitimate signals we think we're getting from space telescopes, spacecraft, and planetary rovers, and they'd replace them with clever CGI images of a dead world that could never pose a threat to Earth!

What I'm suggesting is that the only images of Mars we have that are real are the blurry ones from ground-based telescopes. All the rest are created by the Martians to make us think we're the only intelligent species in the solar system!

Think how easy it would be to simply destroy the approaching probes and start sending back bogus data that mimics what we expect to be getting. If a probe is supposed to take pictures of Mars from space, they just hijack the transmissions and substitute images of a dead world!

The same thing could be done with a Mars rover that's supposed to land and drive around on the surface. The Martian's simply create a computer program that acts like a video game in which the NASA controller on Earth drives a non-existent rover around on a non-existent dead world and takes pictures of the bogus desert landscape! Cool

Compare this to the way our own video games give their users the same ability today and you'll see how easy it would be for these Martian geniuses to trick us into think we have rovers on Mars! Rolling Eyes

Admit it folks, this is all totally possible for an advanced race who wants to fool the silly humans into thinking Mars is desolate and dull so we won't be terrified that Martians might invade us!

Still think this is impossible? Well then, consider this.

Out of the 47 spacecraft that have been sent to Mars by the U.S. and other nations, 28 of them have failed! Only 19 have "succeeded" — or so we THOUGHT!

What if some of these were just destroyed by the Martians to simplify the hoax they were committing by making us think ANY of them had succeeded?

As for space telescopes like the Hubble, an advanced race who has terraform Mars and built fantastic cities would have no trouble placing a few devices in Earth orbit (hidden amidst all our satellites and space junk) to monitor any real incoming data about Mars and replace it with the bogus stuff that keeps us ignorant about the super-race living right next door.
Wink

Therefore, I respectfully suggest that we've been duped. The real Mars bears no resemblance to anything we've seen in those bogus photos they've tricked us with.

Lastly, there's this to consider.

In The Day the Earth Stood Still, Klaatu said he'd traveled 250 million miles to reach Earth. We've always thought that was a goof up, because it would mean Klaatu came from some planet inside the Solar System. Oops . . . Embarassed

But wait! What if Klaatu came from that high-tech planet that's been hiding from us since the 1950s — Mars! (He took the long way around, leaving Mars when it was on the other side of the sun — you know, the scenic route).

Klaatu's race is worried about us developing atomic weapons and rockets because we're not that far away from them. After all, rockets and nukes wouldn't be a threat to a race in another star system. Right?

But they WOULD be a threat to a planet located right next door!
Shocked

Yesterday I suddenly realized that if a terraformed Mars which is inhabited by an advanced civilization has been hiding right under our noses for decades, what if they weren't the only advanced civilization in our solar system who wants to keep mankind ignorant of their existence! Shocked

With that in mind, I went to work "rethinking" the entire solar system and what might be out there cleverly disguising itself with hijacked data streams from our space telescopes and space probes.

Bear in mind, guys, that if an advanced civilization has replaced all the data we think we're getting from our own devices in space, then we've been cleverly fooled into believing a completely false version of everything we thought we knew about every planet in the solar system! Shocked

This is being done by the aliens because Earth is populated by a dangerous species who is rapidly developing more powerful weapons and more advanced spacecraft.

That's EXACTLY what Klaatu said "the other planets" were worried about!

And yet, all these years we've wondered why an interstellar society of advanced aliens was so concerned with Earth and our puny little missiles and atom bombs.

Guys, we completely missed the point!

If Klaatu only traveled 250 million miles to reach Earth, all the "other planets" he's talking about are right here in the solar system! Shocked

Gentlemen, if you're thinking — "Bud, that's just plain silly!" — I think you'll enjoy the following introduction to the REAL solar system . . . the one in which several advanced civilizations have conspired to hide their existence from us. Cool

VENUS

Venus’ cloud cover is completely artificial, a blanket of light-reflecting vapor which shields the surface of the planet from the rays of the sun and provides the Venusians with a pleasant “cloudy day” environment.

~ Venus, with-and-without its Protective Vapor Layer.

It was first generated thousands of years ago by the Venusians, and it's been carefully maintained to protect the planet's surface. The reason it was needed is because a giant asteroid collided with the moon which Venus once had, sending the fragments spiraling into the sun.

This also caused the planet's rotation to slow dramatically.

A day on Venus is now 243 Earth days. That means there are only 0.92 Venusian days in a Venusian year. Since a Venusian year is only 225 Earth days, this means a Venusian DAY is longer than a Venusian YEAR by 18 Earth days!

(I didn't make that part up. Those are actual facts about the length of Venus's "day" and "year". But I came up the stuff about the moon it used to have. Very Happy)

Without the cloud cover, the side of Venus which faced the sun would fry.

Naturally the Russian probe that allegedly landed on Venus and sent back pictures was destroyed by the Venusians, and fake images were sent to us.

MERCURY

Surprise! Mercury isn’t really a planet! Very Happy

It’s actually a spherical solar energy collector, created by the Venusians to transmit the energy to Venus. The solar panels on the "day side" collect the energy, while the power transmitters on the night side beam the energy to Venus.

Earth-based telescope can only observer the phases of Mercury, but not any details. I found this on Space.com

NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft was the first probe ever to orbit the planet Mercury. It arrived in orbit around the innermost planet in our solar system in 2011 and ended its mission in 2015 with a crash into the planet's surface. The probe snapped more than 200,000 photos of Mercury.

(Yep, those photos are all bogus, courtesy of the Venusians.) Rolling Eyes

Imagine what would have happened if we'd gotten images of Mercury . . . and it looked more like the Deathstar than a planet! Laughing

MARS

~ Mars before being terraformed.

As I mentioned earlier, Mars was terraformed thousands of years ago, when the Martians realized that the planet was in danger of loosing its atmosphere. Its magnetic field was also failing as the core rotation slowed down, which meant the planet would be vulnerable to cosmic rays.

The Martians solved all these problems using their advanced technology.

EUROPA – a moon of Jupiter

In the ocean below the frozen surface of Europa, a civilization was created by the aquatic life forms which evolved there. These life forms developed a high level of intelligence and an advanced technology.

Eventually they penetrated Europa’s icy shell and ventured out in spaceships which explored the solar system. They were delighted when they discovered other intelligent beings on both Mars and Venus!

Because their cities are aquatic and hidden by the frozen surface, images from space probes which fly paused Europa do not have to be replaced with fake pictures.

TITAN – the largest moon of Saturn

Titan is the second largest moon in our solar system. Only Jupiter's moon Ganymede is larger, by just 2 percent. Titan is bigger than Earth's moon, and even larger than the planet Mercury! Shocked

This mammoth moon is the only one in the solar system with a dense atmosphere, and it’s the only world besides Earth that has standing bodies of liquid — including rivers, lakes, and seas on its surface.

Like Earth, Titan’s atmosphere is primarily nitrogen, plus a small amount of methane. It is the only other place in the solar system known to have an earth-like cycle of liquids which rain down from its clouds. These liquids flow across the surface, fill the lakes and seas, and evaporate back into the sky — all of which is akin to Earth’s water cycle!

Titan is also thought to have a subsurface ocean of water!

Bingo! Very Happy

For this reason, the intelligent beings who evolved in the subterranean ocean of Jupiter's icy moon, Europa, decided to establish a colony on Titan. The Europans genetically engineered a version of their own species, adapting them to the conditions in Titan’s subsurface ocean of water.

With help from the “home planet” (in this case, a “home moon”), the inhabitants of the colony on Titan survived and flourished — eventually establishing their own advanced civilization which ventured out into the Solar System and interacted peacefully with the civilizations on Mars, Venus, and their own parent world, Europa! Very Happy

Like Europa, Titan's aquatic civilization is not visible from space, although several large well-hidden doorways open up to the spaceports below when their spacecraft travel to-and-from the the other three inhabited worlds.

Meanwhile, the new comer to the solar system — the evolved ape-like creatures on the third planet — were watched closely by the alien beings on Venus, Mars, Europa, and Titan as the savage creatures on Earth slowly developed their own civilization and technology.

The alarming way the Earth creatures waged war with each other over the centuries caused a growing concern among the peaceful and cooperative species of the solar system.

Collectively they were concerned that this new species on the third planet might become a danger to the races on Venus, Mars, Europa, and Titan.

To gather new data about this potential threat, these intelligent beings sent thousands of unmanned drones to the third planet to collect data about this troubling species.

All the UFOs’ which have puzzled mankind for decades were just autonomous drones which these various inhabited planets and moons sent here to monitor mankind’s progress and determine just how much of a threat we posed to the peace and security of the other civilizations in our solar system!

The great variety of UFOs spotted over the last seventy years is due in part to the fact that all four of the alien species were contributing their own drones to the tasks.

Finally, a meeting was held by the leaders of the four alien civilizations, and they decided to send an ambassador to the third planet.

The ambassador was a genetically engineered being created by the aliens on Europe who had developed skills in that area when they created the version of their own race which become the colonists on Titan.

The ambassador to Earth was engineered to resemble a human, and he would be accompanied by a robotic “body guard” which would protect the ambassador if he was endangered in any way.

The robot body guard was created by the engineers on Mars, who excelled in this area.

The ambassador’s mission was to deliver a warning to the leaders of Earth. The message stated that if they threatened the peace and security of the other civilizations in the solar system, Earth would be dealt with very severely.

Gentlemen, I’ve just described a remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still which explains the “other planets” Klaatu said he represented, as well as why these planets were worried about the threat which mankind’s newly developed rockets and atomic bombs posed to the solar system's interplanetary civilizations!

Please note that these alien civilizations are not spread out across several star systems, many light years from Earth. They're all right here in our own solar system.

That’s why Klaatu said he’d only traveled “250 million miles” to reach Earth! Shocked

I propose that this concept would make a truly intelligent remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still (unlike the witless 2008 version).

It addresses all the concepts which the movie proposed, and it even explains the mystery of UFOs in a manner which doesn't violate the laws of physic, because it eliminates any need for spaceships which travel faster than light.

Please note that I've deliberately omitted the idea that Gort was a member of the aliens' "police force" which patrolled the planets and "acted automatically at the first sign of aggression."

In this version, the aliens do not foolishly abdicate their right to govern their own behavior! I've never liked that aspect of The Day the Earth Stood Still, so in this version I put Gort in his proper place — a robot that follows orders! Very Happy

Guys, I'm really hoping you'll add your comments about this concept, including any dissenting opinions, alternate versions, or corrections to what I hope is the reasonably accurate science! Cool

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - Let's Create a Remake Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Guys, I'm really hoping you'll add your comments about this concept, including any dissenting opinions, alternate versions, or corrections to what I hope is the reasonably accurate science! Cool

On the thread for The Day the Earth Stood Still, where I originally posted the concept above, Pow discussed the idea and came up with some wonderful ideas!

I decided to combine the comments and present the discussion here in this thread in hopes of acquiring more great comments for other members of All Sci-Fi.

So, here's what Mike had to say on the subject.

Pow wrote:
Bruce, your disguised planets idea is a terrific one. I don't believe that I've ever seen a film or TV show employ this concept at all.

On the ST:TOS episode/pilot "Assignment: Earth" we see agent Gary Seven inform the Enterprise crew that he comes from a planet that will remain unknown to them even in their time.

Scotty: "It's impossible to hide a whole planet."

Seven: "Impossible for you, not for them."

On ST:TNG we had the episode "When the Bough Breaks" which had Captain Picard & his crew encounter the hidden planet of Aldea.

These instances were about futuristic technology capable of cloaking an entire world, whereas your's is about hiding the true surface of a planet with a false one. Cool!

I was thinking that any civilization that possessed such astonishing technology wouldn't even have to destroy any probes sent to it from planet Earth. I would think that they could figure out the landing locations for such probes and arrange for it to "appear" to land there just as planned by the human scientists. The probe is now enveloped inside a hologram of what the residents of the planet want humans to see as opposed to the reality of their culture.

Do your inhabitants of these other planets within our solar system look anything like us? Are we all somehow related in some manner? Were these planets ever at war with one another which resulted in their peace treaty and the "race of policemen" that patrol all these worlds?

In any event, Bruce, I love this premise!

Thanks, Mike! I was certain I was't the only one around here with intelligence and imagination!

In fact, you added a great post to the same thread, and I replied to it.
Very Happy

Pow wrote:
I was thinking that any civilization that possessed such astonishing technology wouldn't even have to destroy any probes sent to it from planet Earth.

I would think that they could figure out the landing locations for such probes and arrange for it to "appear" to land there just as planned by the human scientists. The probe is now enveloped inside a hologram of what the residents of the planet want humans to see as opposed to the reality of their culture.

Yes indeed, Mike! That would work like a charm!

By the way, I was really glad to see that you liked the idea. Very Happy

Personally, I lean towards the idea that the space probes and Mars rovers simply ceased to exists, after which all the commands sent to them are intercepted by the aliens on one of the four planets, who would then "reply" with whatever data the probes or rovers WOULD have transmitted back! Very Happy

In the case of video images from the probe-or-rover cameras, the aliens would simply create CGI images of the dead (and therefore harmless) planets the aliens want us to see.

This would include anything a moving rover would see as it traveled over the surface. NASA would never realize they were just taking a "virtual tour" of a nonexistent landscape! Laughing

Of course, the aliens would have to study the probes and rovers carefully before destroying them, so they could accurately duplicate all it's functions.

Pow wrote:
Do your inhabitants of these other planets within our solar system look anything like us? Are we all somehow related in some manner?

Oh, heck no! Where's the fun in that? I want full-on, truly wacky alien designs — aliens who all evolved independently on their home planets. Cool

Personally I don't subscribe to the idea some folks on All Sci-Fi have proposed, the one which claims that the human form is sort of "destined" to evolve as a species becomes more intelligent, just because our bodies are allegedly so perfectly adapted.

That seems a bit like claiming blue is the best color . . . because it's my favorite. Laughing

So, the Martians and Venusians might look like any of these creatures —

— and the aquatic aliens from Europa and Titan might look like one of these.

Remember that the ones on Titan are genetically modified versions of the Europans who established a colony on the moon of Saturn. So, both of them would look similar — but not identical. Very Happy

However, the closest I'd want for the Venusian or the Martians to appear humanoid would be this handsome fellow! For some reason, he looks kind of like a Venusian to me, although I wasn't thinking that when I drew him in the 1990s.
Very Happy

No — for two key reasons.

The first is that I want these four alien species to be much more noble than our own savage, intolerant, self-destructive race! Think of them as being four almost Krell-like aliens.

As you pointed out earlier, the viewer should understand that all the aliens are completely justified in fearing the war-mongering humans — and thus absolutely justified in going to great lengths to hide their own existence from the Earthlings.

We're the bad guys of the solar system! And we're extremely fortunate that the aliens on all four worlds haven't done what Klaatu said Gort would do!

Reduce our planet to a burned out cinder! Shocked

The second reason that I strongly object to the idea that the aliens of the four worlds have created a "police force" of robots like Gort is that this idea has always struck me as downright cowardly! Sad

Basically, Klaatu's interstellar coalition of planets just gave up trying to take responsibility for the evil acts of their multi-species members. So they created soulless robots who were programed to destroy anyone who violated their inflexible rules of conduct.

I'm sure that any good judge in an American court understands that situations are never black-and-white.

Here's a simple example. A wife who buys a gun and shoots her husband is guilty of murder in the eyes of the law.

But if the wife has endured violent abuse from her husband — as well the abuse he's inflicted on her young children — then her "act of murder" becomes an "act of self-defense".

So, here's my point.

If Gort really was capable of "reducing the Earth to a burned out cinder" just because one military policeman shot a fleeing man who was considered dangerous — then Klaatu's society has a deeply flawed system of justice! Shocked

And so, Mike, what I want is for the citizens of the Four Worlds of the Solar System to be as noble as the Krell!

Despite being as physically different as the drawings I displayed above, these alien species have banded together, and they're guarding themselves from mankind in a way that protects both US as well as them!

For me, the true beauty of this concept is that Earth has no idea it's surrounded by alien civilizations who have turned our solar system into a miniature version of Star Trek's Federation of Planets!

These aliens have interacted flawlessly, and they have cooperated admirably to solve monumental problems which have benefited their entire coalition! Very Happy

And yet they have no need for warp drives, powerful weapons, defensive shields, or even a Prime Directive!

The only "fly in the ointment" is Earth! We're the immature, barely evolved apes who spend all our own time and resources trying to kill each other! Sad

These wise and noble citizens of the Four Worlds of the Solar System have refrained from eradicating mankind — desperately hoping that in another thousand years mankind might become wise and mature enough to join the other species who have worked together for eons for the mutual benefit of all their citizens!

Mike, I really think I'm onto something with this idea. I wish there was a movie or TV studio who could appreciate what a great concept this is.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got to get some of the stuff you have to be smoking th come up with these ideas!!

Great idea, but the entire solar system being a false construction is a big stretch!

How about if the worlds you describe are in a multi-universe trans dimensional bubble universe adjacent to our reality.
When Klatuu mentions "230 light years" he is referring to the distance between wormholes that connect each universe to each other.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Great idea, but the entire solar system being a false construction is a big stretch!

How about if the worlds you describe are in a multi-universe trans dimensional bubble universe adjacent to our reality.

When Klatuu mentions "230 light years" he is referring to the distance between wormholes that connect each universe to each other.

Wow, Gord, I'm puzzled! Shocked

Forgive me for wondering if your serious or just yankin' my chain a bit. Laughing

Are you actually questioning my idea that four advanced civilizations our solar system could conspire to trick us dumb humans into thinking that all our primitive probes and space telescopes have been feeding us false data to protect themselves from the threat of the savage and war-like human race?

Do you seriously prefer the wacky idea that the other planets are all "in a multi-universe trans dimensional bubble universe adjacent to our reality?" Confused

Wow . . . that hysterical. Laughing

Gord, my idea explains why Klaatu said he traveled 250 million miles . . . without making him seem like a moron who didn't know the difference between miles and light years! Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, thinking like your premis is a "pitch" to a film producer I would have to think it's pretty much un - filmable. The amount of explanation trying to set it up is just too complex. It would need half of the movie to be a documentary on "How the Solar System REALLY works!".

But the concept of 250 million miles explained as the real distance between wormhole portals is as valid as Han Solo doing the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs!

As a movie....I don't think so...BUT as a novel....GENIUS!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
And so, Mike, what I want is for the citizens of the Four Worlds of the Solar System to be as noble as the Krell!

Noble...yes....BUT they still destroyed themselves. Nobility was NOT an avoidence of suicide : Even if not the intention.

The Krell may have had nobility, but they also had a fatal flaw which sealed their demise! Possibly it was the same sense of superiority that cursed and doomed Morbius.

tmlindsey
Mission Specialist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The second reason that I strongly object to the idea that the aliens of the four worlds have created a "police force" of robots like Gort is that this idea has always struck me as downright cowardly! Sad

Basically, Klaatu's interstellar coalition of planets just gave up trying to take responsibility for the evil acts of their multi-species members. So they created soulless robots who were programed to destroy anyone who violated their inflexible rules of conduct.

I think they reasoned that, as is almost always the case, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Human nature is what it is; greed usually wins out whether it's for money, power, whatever. Everyone will be tempted when it is dangled in front of them. Once you give in, or have it, you spend all of your energies trying to keep it.

One has merely to look at society and those in authority to see this every day; the laws don't apply to US, whether cops, politicians or CEOs. Those "above" the rest of us make the rules for us, not themselves. Keep the dregs in their places, etc.

Beings without the capacity for greed, jealousy and lust would be the only real solution LOGICALLY speaking.

I don't see Gort overreacting because an MP shoots Klaatu; Klaatu was on a mission of peace, which he clearly stated. Logically he should have been welcomed and accepted and he wasn't, which (presumably) would be contrary to Gort's programing of acceptable behavior and response. Killing Klaatu demonstrated not only Earth's unwillingness to listen to reason, but that we have a "violence first" policy, and the wrong-doers should be punished. Based on the government's actions in the film, if Gort had simply taken off with dead Klaatu, they would have likely launched an attack on the ship and Gort would have responded by eliminating the threat. Very logical. But Gort revived Klaatu so he could make a last attempt, or at least, give a warning to mankind before leaving.

Quote:
I'm sure that any good judge in an American court understands that situations are never black-and-white.

Well, a GOOD judge might...but we seem to have fewer of those these days.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmlindsey wrote:
. . . if Gort had simply taken off with dead Klaatu, they would have likely launched an attack on the ship and Gort would have responded by eliminating the threat. Very logical. But Gort revived Klaatu so he could make a last attempt, or at least, give a warning to mankind before leaving.

Hot damn! That's a great point!

I've never given Gort credit for doing that act as an actual "decision" on his part. I just assumed was a preprogrammed action, like "Rule #1013 - If the ambassador is killed, use the Atomic Resuscitator."

But it's an unwarranted assumption to think that an A.I "judge and jury" like Gort wouldn't be given enough intelligence to evaluate a complex situation like the one you described and take the most appropriate action.

Well done, Tim!
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Bud, thinking like your premis is a "pitch" to a film producer I would have to think it's pretty much un - filmable. The amount of explanation trying to set it up is just too complex. It would need half of the movie to be a documentary on "How the Solar System REALLY works!".

Yeah, Gord, you're probably right.

Equally complex premises have been used in movies like Interstallar, for example, and they did indeed prove tough to understand. Hell, I still haven't figure THAT one out yet! Shocked

But I don't agree that trying to make the "250 million miles" that Klaatu traveled to Earth supposedly be the distance between wormholes. (Who the hell knows what a wormhole really is?).

I still think it would be easier for the audience to understand the idea that he came from Mars and — Surprise! — the Martians tricked us into thinking it looks like the picture below by substituting fake data from our probes and space telescopes for the last 50 years.

Heck, everybody loves a story about a juicy conspiracy theory! But this conspiracy isn't about convincing people that Martians exists, even though they don't — it's about convincing people that Martians don't exists, even though they do! Very Happy

I wonder if the concept of The Four Words of the Solar System could be introduced with a trilogy of movies.

~ Earth makes the shocking discovery that Mars is not what we thought (Surprise!), and the movie ends with a teaser that reveals how Mars is in an alliance with other aliens. (Where do they come from? Gasp!)

~ The second movie tells the story about how the Martians and the Venusians both manage to hide their planets from Earth. It ends with one of more nations on Earth foolishly gearing up to "defend our planet" from these hideous alien invaders!

~ The third film involves mankind learning just how peaceful the Martians and Venusians are — and that aliens on Europa and Titan are part of the "Four Planets" as well.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Evolution of Intelligent Life on The Four Worlds of the Solar System

I know this starts out as a review of the ideas above, but it includes new stuff to go with it further down.

As I explained previously, thousands of years ago Venus and Mars evolved life which became both intelligent and technologically advance. The two alien species formed an alliance, which included the sharing of technology.

Eventually they both realized that mankind was rapidly developing advanced weapons of war, and they agreed that the most humane way to protect themselves from us was to "hide in plane sight".

For example, Mars accomplished this by taking advantage of the fact that Earth-based telescopes saw the Red Planet like this —

— so mankind expected Mars to look like this.

Therefore, when we started using space telescopes (like Hubble) and space probes (like Mariner), the Martians hide their existence by substituting fake data for all the transmitted data we would have received.

Remember, their technology is incredibly advanced. This meant we never saw the real images of Mars — which looks like this! Very Happy

The Venusians did the same thing with our space probes which sent back images of Venus and its surface. What we got was exactly what aliens wanted us to see.

Actually, however, the Venusians did create a "solar shield" of reflectent vapor around their planet to reduce the heat of the sun.

So, our telescopes on Earth do in fact see the vapor shield — but below the shield, the planet looks like this.

So, Venus and Mars are safe from Earth, but these alien civilizations desperately hope we don't advance to the point where we become a threat to them! Shocked

However, what about the two species which exist in the oceans below the ice on Europa and Titan?

So, here's the important question about the aliens on the two gas giant moons.

Could aquatic lifeforms actually develop technology as advanced as the ones we see in The Abyss?

Well, why not? In fact, maybe the beings in that movie were actually FROM Ganymede or Titan!

With that in mind, consider these questions about evolution in general.

~ If volcanic vents can nourish lifeforms in the deep ocean, then the oceans under the ice of Europa and Titan might be able to do the same thing.

~ If fish can evolve on Earth, then similar creatures can evolve on the moons of the gas giants.

~ If land creatures can evolve hands (even on their legs, like lemurs), then the aquatic creatures in the oceans of Europa and Titan can do so as well.

~ If deep sea creatures can evolve bioluminescence which light up the deep oceans, then the lifeforms in the oceans on Europa and Titan can devise a way to light their subsurface ecosystem.

~ If sailfish can use dramatic color changes to communicate with each other when they're racing through dense schools of fish, then intelligent alien aquatic creatures can do the same thing.

Watch the video below and imagine it as an example of how aquatic alien life forms might communicate on the inhabited moons of the gas giants. The technique is both effective and beautiful!
Shocked

Sailfish Are Master Hunters | Planet Earth | BBC Earth

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one point you have to keep in mind is that just intelligence is not enough in an aquatic environment.

Why???

Because in order to be a TECHNOLOGICAL species it must have the ability to affect that environment. Perhaps banging rocks together may do very primitive things, but being unable to make or use fire, basic chemistry isn't possible ! There could be no use of metals as well. Whales, dolphins and octopi may have a high degree of intelligence, but technology is beyond them.

For your premise... if it concentrated on explaing the situation with Mars and mentioning that the principle was also true on the other planets and moons it could work. You want the story to be about the action, not a two hour documentary followed by a ten minute movie!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, Gord, but you're applying the limitations of mankind's evolution from our primitive ape-like beginnings to what we are today — while I'm talking about beings who might possess abilities like telekinesis and other means to manipulate their environment.

Hopefully the development of sentient beings in the universe isn't restricted to what we had to do become the "dominate species" on this humble little planet!

Gord, think of all the billiions of different ecosystems throughout the cosmos, and all the varied kinds of life forms it might possess. Are you really saying that the only planets that can have intelligent life are . . . earth-like planets!
Shocked

Gord wrote:
You want the story to be about the action, not a two hour documentary followed by a ten minute movie!

Hmm . . . I guess that's why 2001: A Space Odyssey was such a flop. It needed more action and fewer interesting concepts.

Ditto for that boring movie called The Day the Earth Stood Still. Ninety minutes of talk . . . ending with a speech.

Gord, all I've done is describe an interesting new idea about how our solar system might include four worlds besides Earth which are inhabited by intelligent beings. Doesn't this original premise suggest dozens of different stories to you?

It does to me.

I can imagine a wealth of action scenes based on this premise. It isn't a documentary any more than the movie that started with "A Long Time Ago . . . in a Galaxy Far, Far Away".

Gord, you apparently don't see this concept as having the potential for new and original tales, packed with adventure, excitement, and wonderful characters.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life on earth and evolution, once there is the ability to replicate there is evolution.

Where did a basket starfish come from?

Where did we come from?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: