ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you clean a Moonsuit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: How do you clean a Moonsuit? Reply with quote

Scientist have figured out how to clean a spacesuit on the Moon. The Lunar dust sticks to everything, and is very hard to remove. The Apollo Moon Suits got dust covered very rapidly. Moon dust is very abrasive and is not something you want in your lungs or Lunar base.

They have figured out that if they spray the Moon Suit with liquid nitrogen, it cuts the static cling and gets about 90+ percent of the Moon dust off of the suit.

SCIENCE MARCHES ON!

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating, Sir David!

When I read the title of your post, I immediately had several predictions concerning how a suit on the Moon should be cleaned. Mr. Green

First of all, I was certain it would need to be Dry Cleaned . . . because there's no liquid water on the Moon! Very Happy

Second, I knew a standard clothes dryer wouldn't' work even if there was liquid water, because there's no air for the dryer to heat up! Sad

As it turn out, I was right about the wrong way to do it . . . but I was wrong about the right way, too! Shocked

So, the only way left was the way that used a liquid that was NOT water!

That way also eliminated the need for a common clothes dryer, because the liquid nitrogen removes the static cling — something we have to use those Bounce sheets to get rid of on Earth.

But of course, on the Moon those suits won't need those . . . because things on the Moon just naturally Bounce! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: