ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mars Needs Moms (2011)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Mars Needs Moms (2011) Reply with quote

To make a successful CGI fantasy/sci-fi adventure, all you need is a skilled writer/director — such as Simon Wells (who did the remake of "The Time Machine", which I like — so there. Sad ), a dynamic producer — such as Robert Zemeckis ("Back to the Future", which everybody likes), a studio with so many talented people they trip over each other at the company picnic — such as Walt Disney Productions, and a reasonably large budget -- such as $150 million dollars.

Put all that together and you're guaranteed success. Right?

Well . . . no.

What Disney actually got was a movie the critics hated, the public snubbed, and the film industry considers a financial black eye bad enough to qualify for full disability. It did so poorly that Disney took the words "of Mars" out the "John Carter" title just to be on the safe side. (It didn't help of course. "John Carter" bombed, too. Sad )

I like "John Carter", but this time I agree with critics and the public about "Mars Needs Moms".

The movie is a visual treat from the studio logo to the closing credits, but sitting through it is like watching an Italian opera. All the outlandish characters, the pretty colors, and the nice music starts to get on your nerves because . . . well dammit, you just don't speak Italian!

If I had to sum up the main problem with the story, I'd say it unsuccessfully tries to combine something very down-to-Earth — like the undying love between a mother and child — with something downright wacky — like a race of needy Martians who want to drain a kidnapped woman's "momness" to help them raise their young.

Oh to be a fly on the wall during the initial story conferences. Whoever successfully pitched this idea to the studio money men could sell a toupee to Big Foot.

But I feel really sorry for Simon Wells. His remake of "The Time Machine" was good, but it's heavily criticized for all the wrong reasons, and then he poured his heart and soul into this project — which is on record as being the 5th largest box office bomb in history!

Hard to get happy after a smack like that . . .

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo . . . It is basically a remake of "Santa Claus Verses the Martians", but with Moms?

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. WITH Moms . . . but WITHOUT Santa Claus. lol:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: