ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-6-23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-6-23 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at Brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Imagine a new kind of policeman — a cop who pounds a beat with boundaries that start in the “now” and reach back into the past. He hunts bad guys who threaten the present by changing history, a crime which is punishable by death.

This is not a movie about a cop who writes speeding tickets to guys driving DeLoreans . . . Shocked

Timecop (1994)

For me, this is inferior to the best time travel films (THE TIME MACHINE, TIME AFTER TIME, etc.).

As a Van Damme vehicle, it's typical. So we end up with a rather generic action sci-fi piece, from my standpoint, some of it copying the tone of TERMINATOR 2 (1991), which probably influenced many sci-fi action films in the nineties. It's not bad; it just doesn't rise above the mediocre.

_______

I think the complexity which someone else may gleam from this is that it switches to different time periods. It starts with a short scene during the Civil War — a dreary one with gunfire. Then there are some scenes in 1994, when Van Damme's character loses his wife to paid assassins. Then we switch to a scene in 1929 — the start of the Depression.

And finally, to the future of 2004 (now, the past), when time travel is a reality to be regulated (by TEC, a new government agency — the Time Enforcement Commission).

I was amused by the efforts here to show futuristic automobiles — 2004 is now over a decade in the past; according to this film, we should all be driving tank-like vehicles now. I'd forgotten that this was based on a comic book; it shows — much of this is very simplistic.

___

One example of this simplicity is a statement made, offhand, near the beginning — a bureaucrat states that time travel to the future is not possible, because that hasn't happened yet. So, we're left with time travel to the past. We just have to accept this limitation and be done with it.

Then there's the warning that two identical objects cannot occupy the same space; i.e., two versions of the same person better not touch each other. However, a person who is 10 years older is not identical to his past self, is he? Also, even if a person physically touches another, aren't they still separated by molecule-sized space? Whatever.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: