ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Droning by Tom Yourk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Encounter in My Backyard! Reply with quote

This video is a test of concept. The objective here was to see if I could fly a model flying saucer (UFO) using a drone.

As can be seen from the video it is possible.

While the video is of poor quality, the idea was not to create a credible video but just to test the concept if the drone could even lift the model saucer, which it did! Mr. Green

_____________ UFO Encounter in My Backyard!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Caesar's ghost! Shocked

Until I saw this video I was a UFO skeptic! But seeing is believing, and now I know that "We are not alone!"

(At least not in your backyard, Tom . . . )

And unlike all the other UFO videos I've seen, this is the first one that included the sound of the saucer's propulsion system. This is a real breakthrough!

Tom, thank goodness you shared this remarkable video with us on All Sci-Fi, because any minute now your doorbell is going to ring, and these guys will be standing on your front porch!
Confused

~ The Space Children (1958)
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!

I believe we lost the edge on drone tech way back in the 50's!.

The 'hover jeep" idea was a precursor to what could have been a future of "hover cars" and more! Flying cars? They were there, and a possible way back in our past!

We blew it because of little minds with poor visions of their future! Hopefully we will do better!

But I doubt it.

The Piasecki VZ-8 Airgeep (company designation PA-59) was a prototype vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) aircraft developed by Piasecki Aircraft.

The Airgeep was developed to fulfill a U.S. Army Transportation Research Command contract for a flying jeep in 1957.

The flying jeep was envisioned to be smaller and easier to fly than a helicopter.

Design and development

To meet the US Army's requirement, Piasecki's design featured two tandem, three-blade ducted rotors, with the crew of two seated between the two rotors. Power was by two 180 hp (134.2 kW) Lycoming O-360-A2A piston engines, driving the rotors by a central gearbox. The first of two aircraft ordered by the Army, initially designated the Model 59K Skycar (and later renamed Airgeep) by Piasecki and designated VZ-8P by the Army, flew on 22 September 1958.

VZ-8P in 1959

It was re-engined with a single 425 hp (317 kW) Turbomeca Artouste IIB turboshaft replacing the two piston engines, flying in this form in June 1959.

After being loaned to the U.S. Navy for evaluation as the Model 59N where it was fitted with floats, it was returned to the Army and its engine replaced by a lighter and more powerful 550 hp (410.1 kW) Garrett AiResearch TPE331-6 engine.

The second prototype was completed to a modified design, designated Model 59H AirGeep II by Piasecki and VZ-8P (B) by the Army. It was powered by two Artouste engines, with ejection seats for the pilot and co-pilot/gunner and a further three seats for passengers. It was also fitted with a powered tricycle undercarriage to increase mobility on land.

The AirGeep II's first flight occurred on 15 February 1962, piloted by "Tommy" Atkins.

While the Airgeep would normally operate close to the ground, it was capable of flying to several thousand feet, proving to be stable in flight. Flying low allowed it to evade detection by radar.

Despite these qualities, and its superiority over the other two types evaluated by the US Army to meet the same requirement (the Chrysler VZ-6 and the Curtiss-Wright VZ- , the Army decided that the "Flying Jeep concept [was] unsuitable for the modern battlefield", and concentrated on the development of conventional helicopters instead.

I would drive one every day!

Roads? We don't need no stinkin' roads?

We can go wherever we want to!

Such is the future we were denied.

Last edited by Gord Green on Sun May 28, 2023 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, for such detailed knowledge you must have been involved in some aspects of development? Yes?
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating history, thank you for all the info & photos.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, Dude!

An awesome post, with great images!

Thanks. Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could have been involved! I was just 11 or 12 years old when I recieved the plastic model of it for Christmas. I loved the whole idea and envisioned the day you would find one in every driveway.

Thankfully, there is some information available on line from a few sources including Wikapedia.

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video shows a test of flying the drone without direct line of sight, using goggles typically referred to as FPV or first-person video.

I was able to fly the drone from the backyard to the front yard without any direct visual contact except through the goggles.

I have used goggles before but only as a way to obtain direction of the drone when it was far off. This is the first time I completely controlled the drone using only goggles.

_____ Operating a Drone Entirely Through Goggles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: