ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 8-8-23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 8-8-23 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at Brucecook1@yahoo.com.

The first time I saw this episode I was shocked by the closing line, which was delivered by Mr. Spock. He looks at Kirk and says, "I have little to say about it, Captain. Except that for the first time in my life, I was happy."

TOS episode #25 - This Side of Paradise

An episode sometimes overlooked, maybe because it lacks a splashy villain or some huge outer space threat.

But, the threat is there — just a bit more subtle. This begins as a mystery (as in SHORE LEAVE above) or a "puzzle" as Kirk calls it.

The Enterprise arrives at a planet with a small agricultural colony, but the crew expect to find everyone dead due to what are known as 'Berthold Rays' — a lethal form of radiation bathing the planet.

Yet, all the members of the colony are quite alive and thriving. How? Why?

The answers lie with some funky-looking plants which shoot spores into human beings, indoctrinating them into a future version of the 'happiness pill' society. All worries melt away and humans can relax in their new paradise.

It sounds great and, for awhile, there seems to be no reason to escape something so benevolent. What probably stunned audiences way back when this first aired was the effect these spores have on Spock. Now, it was spelled out that Spock does have emotions, he just continually suppresses them in his 'normal' life.

The episode has a beguiling quality and moments of incredible poignancy, mostly in scenes with Spock and his new lady love (guest star Jill Ireland). One can imagine, also, Kirk's stunned reaction when he first witnesses Spock behaving like any other human. It's still an eye-opener after all these years and an opportunity for actor Nimoy to act 'outside the box' for this episode.

Of course, things don't stay semi-amusing for long; eventually the entire crew is seduced by these spores. They calmly mutiny and the ship empties. One can think, "Why not? As long as everyone's OK,"

But it falls to Kirk to determine that mankind thrives on purpose & pain, hard as that may be sometimes. It's also eerie to see Kirk alone on his ship at one point — the last man.

There follows his unforgettable confrontation with Spock, where he heaps insult upon insult and all those hints of Vulcan strength are now depicted.

McCoy also gets in the best line when he confronts the colony's leader (Frank Overton) towards the end ("You'd better make me a mechanic.") — priceless. We all have our self-imposed purgatories, this story seems to say, but for now they are necessary to our goals & achievements.

One cold dash of reality comin' up!

BoG's Score: 9.5 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: