ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreamboat (1952)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Dreamboat (1952) Reply with quote

___

On November 16, 1961, NBC showed this movie on Saturday Night at the Movies and I got my second look at Anne Francis. The first time was in 1956 when I saw Forbidden Planet at a downtown theater in Atlanta.

Anne was 22 years old, but she looks 15 -- the wallflower daughter of a college professor played by Clifton Webb. And Jeffrey Hunter is her romantic interest -- the guy who almost starred in Star Trek when he played Captain Christopher Pike in the first pilot for the famous series.

Clifton Webb has never been better in this wonderful comedy, which also stars Elsa Lanchester as his college associate who swoons in Clifton's presence when she finds out he was a silent screen idol twenty-five years earlier.

Watch for a wonderful courtroom scene in which Ray Collins, who played Lt. Tragg in Perry Mason, plays the defense attorney!

Ginger Rogers is stunning, and in one scene she wears a dress that Marilyn Monroe liked so much she wore it briefly in Gentleman Prefer Blonds.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:04 pm; edited 11 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun movie with a terrific cast.

Fell in love with Anne watching her Honey West TV show.

Jeff had a nice career. He did what many consider one of the greatest westerns ever made: The Searchers.

Other films I've liked of his are King of Kings, Sgt. Rutledge, No Man Is An Island, The True Story of Jesse James.

And of course, the first pilot for Star Trek "The Cage."

Clifton Webb was always a fine actor to watch in anything.

Cheaper By The Dozen & Mr. Scout Master are 2 of my favs of his.

Last edited by Pow on Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these old films were understandable (and still are) without the need for turning on the captions.

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was a fun movie to watch. I liked the clips from the silent movies that our lead character had made - particularly the "Zorro" rip-off called "El Toro," complete with him slashing a "T" sign onto the wall!

Someone I know managed to find the five-episode old tv series "Zorro and Son" in the wilds of the internet, but sadly the picture quality is pretty low... I mean, it would be nice to see the features on characters' faces, right? YouTube can only manage a 52-second video of the show's opening credits.

Hmm, YouTube seem to have some episodes of Honey West available, starting here...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I downloaded the first seven episodes of Honey West season 1 in five minutes flat. Can't wait to watch them. ]

Thanks

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Krel.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Wow! I downloaded the first seven episodes of Honey West season 1 in five minutes flat. Can't wait to watch them.

Thanks

Watch the guest actors fearing for their lives while interacting with the 'tame pet' Ocelot. It is hilarious, and I sincerely doubt that they could get away with it in modern times. Laughing

David.
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a pygmy ocelot, his biggest reaction was at night he would walk the fences and sneer at the dogs. Made it easy to know where he was by the barking dogs. His favorite game was playing tag with the squirrel up the tree in the front yard, they could carry on for hours.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Watch the guest actors fearing for their lives while interacting with the 'tame pet' Ocelot. It is hilarious, and I sincerely doubt that they could get away with it in modern times. Laughing David.

One thing odd I did notice after seeing the first half-dozen episodes is the way Miss Francis never cuddles up with her alleged pet, the way affectionate pet owners do with their cats and dogs.

Bruce the ocelot just sits on the couch and poses for the camera, while the sound man dubs in an occasional growl.

Even this publicity shot looks odd! Okay, so here's Miss Francis, posing with Bruce — with a firm grip on his neck so she can throttle the little bastard if he makes one false move!

And the cat knows it! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne was a dog person. The smell of her dog made Bruce nervous so he had to be either held or kept on a leash. Pygmy ocelots are very territorial and possessive. It took me almost a year to make friends with Pye-rate's pet, Merlin.

Merlin was a rare solid black in color.

Krel.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Even this publicity shot looks odd! Okay, so here's Miss Francis, posing with Bruce — with a firm grip on his neck so she can throttle the little bastard if he makes one false move!

I don't ever remember Bruce looking that mellow in the show. So I'm will to bet that they drugged ol' Bruce to the gills, and Ms. Francis is holding him up. They did that to the cat in Gigi. The cat was fine if nobody touched it, but if they did, then it turned into a vicious animal. For the scene where Gigi sings, while holding the cat, it was heavily drugged, and it's head had to be supported by Leslie Caron, so it wouldn't look like it was dead. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot damn, here's a fine copy of this very entertaining movie which co-stars starring Anne Francis — who looks so young she should going to the senior prom, not making movies yet!

___ Dreamboat Clifton Webb, Ginger Rogers 1952

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: