ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 8-12-23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 8-12-23 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at Brucecook1@yahoo.com.

A strange TOS episode about aliens in glass spheres (three of them) who desperately need cable TV so they can watch ESPN.

TOS episode #46 - The Gamesters of Triskelion

_

This is certainly not the worst episode or even among the worst, but it hovers in that nebulous region when one reaches the bottom quarter of all the episodes, as I see them in terms of quality.

This is the point at which I regard an episode as definitely below average. And it says something for the show that even in these I find moments worth watching again, if just for some agreeable cheese.

Which brings us to The Gamesters of Triskelion.

__
__

This episode is one of the more familiar ones on TOS — visually, stylistically and thematically — but contributing to an impression of cheesiness afflicting the series.

One could argue that there’s nothing very wrong with cheese at times, but many fans prefer that TOS should be known for its ideas and philosophy.

For this episode, it's time to set aside philosophy and kick some behind with your weapon of choice; this was gladiatorial combat, 23rd century-style. In the plot, Kirk and two key officers, Chekov & Uhura, are shanghaied from the good ship Enterprise just as they are about to beam down to a planet. They are whisked a dozen light years away to another planet ruled by so-called Providers, who turn out to be disembodied primary brains, and their only means of diversion is to kidnap various aliens for their amusement as space-age gladiators.

__

Gladiatorial combat in an arena had already been depicted in the episode Bread and Circuses and much more effectively, in my view. The circumstances were much more dire and severe in that other episode, and such bloodsports for an audience offered a biting commentary on the dark side of human nature.

Here, the concept is hamstrung by an almost tongue-in-cheek style. Others have raised the notion that these ruling brains represent the limited thinking of network executives, the ones who usually dumb down such stories as these for the masses.

Another famous scene is Kirk’s response to the question on what is beautiful. Rather than offering some poetic insight, common to many of the better-written episodes, Kirk presents the female with a reflection of herself and she stares at it like a deer in the headlights. There’s no poignancy here, just an opportunity for another eye-roll (and asking oneself what happened to the writing).

__

This could have been a serious indictment of slavery, represented by those intense, brutal collars-of-obedience. But despite Kirk's seething display of resentment as he finally rips his off near the end, this episode is best known for its cheese factor rather than any deep commentary on such a serious issue.

If anything, much of the episode reminded me of a typical, action-oriented episode of the Lost in Space TV show — cheesy and somewhat laughable.

________

It's best remembered now for the gladiatrix Shahna, outfitted provocatively. She was played by actress Angelique Pettyjohn, who went on to adult-film roles, gaining this episode some measure of notoriety. It's typical of the episode that Kirk spends a lot of time seducing Shahna — his . . .uh . . . drill thrall — in almost touching scenes, but he ends up clocking her.

Chekov, meanwhile, makes the acquaintance of a large female gladiator named Tamoon, while Uhura is almost raped by another rough-looking fighter (Steve Sandor). Some of this also reminds me of those exploitation prison-thrillers of the seventies — such as the ‘women-in-chains’ sub-genre — just that this takes place on another planet.

__

There are a lot of different aliens on display in this one, accompanied by the usual limitations of the make-up FX back then. To get a truly distinctive alien in the sixties they would cast a giant actor— Mickey Morton as Kloot for example. Joe Ruskin as Galt, however, manages to come across as truly alien in a creepy fashion, his movements suggesting that he is gliding rather than just walking.

__

Overall, though, it's sub-average escapist fare, with the usual silly dialog, Shatner over-emoting ("You're Killing Herrrrrr...!"), and not much thought put into such issues as what these all-powerful brains do with their version of money, "quatloos". I assumed, hearing their betting frenzies, it's their version of monopoly money.

This boils down to a final combat where Kirk breaks all the rules and wins anyway. Despite the cheesy entertainment, for my quatloo the best scene is on the Enterprise with Spock, McCoy, and Scotty. There, Spock shows he's ready to be a full time commander when McCoy & Scotty try to team up against him. This scene was also overdone, like most of the episode, depicting the two officers as somewhat petulant and juvenile.

BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

__

Extra Trek Trivia: Provider One is the red brain; Provider Two is green; and Provider Three is orange. What will you do with this fantastic information? Well, you can tell which Provider bought the three Starfleet officers by the color of their collars. One of the Providers states that their cave is located over 1000 meters below the surface. (Deep!)

Dick Crockett, a stuntman/choreographer on several Trek episodes, plays the Andorian thrall in this one. This is one of the episodes where Sulu’s part was taken over by Chekov because actor George Takei was stuck elsewhere, filming The Green Berets with John Wayne.

______

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely one of Bogmeister's best written reviews!

He nails the pros and cons of this usual episode with the skill of fine doctor diagnosing an ailment. Very Happy

I miss Bogmeister (Andrew Bogdan), who passed away in 2015. He was a great asset to the "old All Sci-Fi" before it crashed in 2014, and when we had to recreate this current version, we lost thousands posts by Bogmeister. Sad

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely one of Bogmeister's best written reviews!

He nails the pros and cons of this usual episode with the skill of fine doctor diagnosing an ailment. Very Happy

I miss Bogmeister (Andrew Bogdan), who passed away in 2015. He was a great asset to the "old All Sci-Fi" before it crashed in 2014, and when we had to recreate this current version, we lost thousands posts by Bogmeister. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: