ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why "Star Trek" is Paramount's Marvel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Why "Star Trek" is Paramount's Marvel Reply with quote

Why "Star Trek" is Paramount's Marvel and they don't even know it . . .
by Mark A. Altman, Trekmovie

Earlier this week , the fabulous genre website, io9.com, ran an article I wrote regarding how Paramount is missing out on a unique opportunity to develop Star Trek as a blockbuster multi-media property. After reading the article, your jocular webmaster Anthony Pascale, reached out to me and discussed expanding my article (or, as Charles Foster Kane might say, Declaration of Principals) for the Trek Movie audience with some additional and more Trek-specific thoughts to help facilitate a continued debate on the future of the Star Trek universe.

As such, I hope you'll find the revised, expanded, director's cut version of my article (ne: manifesto) thought-provoking and worthy of further discussion as what I'm sure will be the first of many opinion pieces on how the studio should be treating the franchise as we approach its 50th anniversary in 2016. Now onwards, first star to the right and straight on till morning.

....And while Paramount has the critically reviled, but box-office behemoth Transformers, they have another franchise that potentially can rule them all: Star Trek....

read the full article here
LINK:
http://trekmovie.com/2014/10/09/why-star-trek-is-paramounts-marvel-and-they-dont-even-know-it/

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what the article at the link above is saying, but I sure don't like they way it says it. The whole thing needs to be about one-fourth as long, and the writer needs to break up the love affair he's having with own fancy prose.

The gist of the article is that the Hollywood suits are like a group of brats at a day care center fighting over one toy they all want. What they need to do is take a step back from the Star Trek franchise, shut the hell up, and let somebody who really knows what's good for Star Trek take the helm and stop flying it around in circles.

Here's the paragraph in the article's sea of verbiage that makes the most sense.

So what does it mean to turn Star Trek into Marvel? The first thing Marvel decided to do when they chose to finance and produce their own properties was they hired someone who knew and loved Marvel, Kevin Feige. And Kevin put together a team of
writers and producers who functioned much as John Lasseter and his team did at Pixar, insuring quality control over the films and TV series.

There, was that so hard to say?

People claim that George Lucas led Star Wars way off course and nearly ruined the franchise, and now everybody is in love with the new movie and wants to rush over to JJ Abrams' house and do all his yard work for free to show their gratitude for his crowd-pleasing epic, Star Wars: The Finance Awakens.

But I still say the movie is just a genetically engineered cash cow. Disney Lego-locked all the popular pieces together from the first three movies and carefully avoided anything that hadn't already been road tested to death.

If the Star Trek franchise is, in fact, going to soar to new heights (creatively and financially) it needs to put a genuine creative genius in the captain's chair and then learn to say "Yes, sir" when he gives an order — instead of, "Are we sure that idea will be popular with the public?"

This isn't a road map to guaranteed success . . . but at least it isn't a well-worn path that leads straight back to where it started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: