ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gog (1954)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sir, this fine company got finer still when you returned. Cool

As for Gog and Magog — I think the difference is that Magog is a male and Gog is female.

That's why Magog of holding the door open for the lady, and the three images of Gog shows it serving food and hanging out with her BFF! Laughing

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Magog's name breaks down to Ma-Gog, so that confirms your male/female theory, only in reverse.

But what I had in mind is more visual. Gog, on our left, has a red loop antenna on top of its (his) head, while Magog's is yellow (which is to say she's blonde).

Incidentally, my Blu-ray external drive arrived today, and I have it hooked up and running. So I'm ready to rock with hi-def screen grabs! Very Happy

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said before, I fell in love with this movie! I first saw it on TV in B&W and was blown away with the story and those great robots! The fact that they were not anthropomorphic, but really a useful design reminiscent of the real "waldoes" used in atomic sites really grabbed my interest.

I was enthralled by the underground atomic lab and drew copious amounts of blueprints etc of the lab! Not until the underground lab in THE ANDROMADA STRAIN was there another to grab the same excitement!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Incidentally, my Blu-ray external drive arrived today, and I have it hooked up and running. So I'm ready to rock with hi-def screen grabs! Very Happy

That's great news, Wayne! If you got it from Amazon, please send me the link.

If not, just tell me the make and model, as well as the source that provided it!

Is it perhaps this one, the #1 Best Seller at Amazon?
Very Happy

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one's a similar product, but I went for a slightly more expensive ($20 more) LG brand.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-External-Optical-WP50NB40/dp/B011327QXC

(The Amazon listing doesn't include Windows 10 in their list of compatible OSes, but it works fine on my laptop running Windows 10.)

The LG comes with the same software installation disc (Cyberlink Media Suite) as shown in your image. However, I found that when I tried grabbing frames from Gog there was a copyright protection that prevented the copying of frames from commercial Blu-ray movies. No matter which method I tried (provided software tool; keyboard PrintScreen; Windows Snipping Tool) the frame came out blank.

So I removed the Cyberlink files and installed the Blu-ray drivers from Aiseesoft.

https://www.aiseesoft.com/blu-ray-player/

These are free for a 30-day trial. They worked great, and the screen grabs were even quicker and easier to use than the process I had been going through with the PrtScr and Snipping Tool grabs I was using for all the DVD frames previously. The trial software displays text over the movie images, but the screen grabs don't include the text.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed that none of those screen grab methods worked! The folks who designed the copy protection thought of everything. I'was tempted to get one, but I don't have the skills you used to get around them.

I'm impressed! Very Happy

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aiseesoft software doesn't have copy protection, so screen grabs are a slam dunk.

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then I started to notice certain similarities between the Gog/Magog robots and the Daleks.

WayneO
-----------
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after several hours of squinting and and SWAGging I'm ready to submit my drawing of Gog.

If you are so inclined, the full size drawing can be downloaded (free) from my gallery at Deviant Art:
https://www.deviantart.com/orzel-w/art/Gog-Dwg-980605868

WayneO
-----------
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier I mentioned the "froo-froo" detailing on these robots. It gave the impression that a lot of modifications had been made on the fly in the lab as afterthoughts. My thinking, seeing that the movie was filmed in 3D, is that this over-the-top detailing was done to enhance the stereoscopic experience. Let's face it: Gort would come across comparatively bland in 3D.

A couple other things crossed my mind while studying the hell out of the screen images. First, the hoses providing the flammable gas for the torch were extra long. This was no doubt necessary to allow for rotating of the center body with respect to the transport body, as the gas supply canister was affixed to the transport body.

Secondly, the caterpillar treads seemed an odd design choice given the story's context. All the floors in the facility were flat and smooth, with no stairs. Even if there had been stairs, the tread design would not have been able to negotiate them. The treads, although exposed all the way up the front of the transport body, were recessed within the sheet metal in front. The sheet metal body would prevent the treads from contacting any stair steps. Strictly for visual interest, I fear.

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful rendering Orzel !

I remember sketching the robots way back in the early 60's. Never could get it right, but this was in the B&W non freeze frame days. I tried sketching the vast underground facility which fascinated me! I felt the same with the lab structure in THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN!

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. It was a real labor of pain. Even with the Blu-ray edition, there just weren't enough good shots of the details to eliminate some guesswork. And the nice clear publicity stills were shot without the gas distribution system installed.

If you (or anybody else) ever come up with some better reference material that corrects something I drew wrong, I'm open to revisions.

Gord Green wrote:
I remember sketching the robots way back in the early 60's. Never could get it right, but this was in the B&W non freeze frame days.

That's what it was like with the Nautilus from the 1954 Disney movie as well. It was a long time (about 20 years) before reliable definition of the sub was available.

WayneO
-----------
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick note for anybody who may have downloaded the full size version of the drawing from Deviant Art before around 5:00 pm Pacific Time today: I've been doing some minor tweaking ever since I posted it originally, so you may want to re-download to get the latest edition.

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: