ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMALL TOWN AMERICA . . . ON THE MOON!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: SMALL TOWN AMERICA . . . ON THE MOON! Reply with quote

After careful thought — and several beers — I’ve solved the problem of how manknd should colonize the Moon. First, we should consider an important lesson which history has taught us.

During World War II, Amerca was largely composed of small towns, populated by citizens who were proud to be part of compact community These small communities were the backbone of the nation, and these patriotic citizens were devoted to war effort.

Unlike the big cities of America, each citizen felt proud to be an essential part of these relatively small communities — unlike the citizens of the big cities who were like cogs in the wheels of huge machines, unknown to the general population, easily replaced when they were fired, injured, or died.

My point is that — in some ways — it’s a mistake to put people into large communities which swallow there identities and minimize their self images.

So, what does this have to do with lunar colonies? Shocked

I think we should make the colonies on the Moon a series of moderately-sized communities which are located near (but not too near) each other. There would include enclosed transportation links which would make it easy to travel between communities — but in many ways these communities, or lunar “towns”, would be self-sufficient.

One large town at the center of the lunar complex would serve as the "Capital City" for the surrounding lunar towns.

Branching out from this larger Moon city would be the "small town" communities.

However, even though each community would have its own power generator and water supple, these facilities would be interconnected so that if one community developed a problem, the adjacent community could share their power or water.

The point of all this is to give the people in each community the feeling that they were part a “small town” — not just a faceless individual among the population of large city.

Even the names of these lunar “towns” would reflect spirit of the small communities that once existed across America before super-highways brought them closer together. None of that stuff like “Lunar 12B” or “Moon Base Alpha”.

They’d have names like Lincolnville, Jefferson City, and Brewsterville (with a nice statue . . .) Cool

Some of these lunar towns could be built inside the large lavaubes below the surface of the Moon. This would provide a measure of protection from meteorite strikes. These sheltered underground communities could include large storehouse filled with vital materiasl for the lunar colony — such as food, water, and materials to make major repairs.

Another advantage to having these small, separate communities would be the fact that if a viral outbreak occurred in one lunar town, it could be quarantined. The infected individuals living in other towns could quickly be sent there for treaatment until they’re cured — thus minimizing the exposure of the uninfected people in the towns from which they came.

Here’s another interesting thought. The international implications of this idea would have a strong effect on global politics.

Eventually the people of other nations will want to establish their own “towns” and connect them to the lunar complex. Interaction between the citizens of this multinational complex would promote world peace (and thus make a lot of beauty pageant contestants very happy). Very Happy

Gentlemen, I’m addressing the psychological demands that colonies on the Moon and other planets would obviously make on their citizens. And I think the idea of designing a lunar complex which was composed of relative small communities that would prevent their residence from feeling overwhelmed by the fact that (a) they’re many miles from Earth and (b) they’re unimportant in the grand scheme of things because the colony is so large it resembles a big American city.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, my fellow citizens of All Sci-Fi!
Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: