ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mysterious Island (1961)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne, you're a genius! I forgot to add dogs to the list of giant animals which Nemo created! Very Happy

Why, you may ask, would he make giant dogs? Why, to herd the giant sheep, of course! Laughing

(I forgot to add sheep to the list, too!)

However, the giant undomesticated K-9s would naturally prey on the giant sheep — as well as the giant birds and all the other oversized food animals. In fact, they might proliferate and become the apex predators of the island!

But just imagine a stop motion battle between a pack of wild dogs and one of the giant birds! Shocked

Just to refresh your memory, here's the theory I proposed in a previous post, concerning how Nemo enlarged the animals in the movie.

I wrote this back on page 4 of this thread. wrote:
We don't know what sort of procedures Nemo used to alter the biology of the giant creatures, but it would have to be something fairly easy to apply — perhaps a genetically altered virus that modified DNA to make the animals and insects exceed their normal size at maturity.

If Nemo's "virus" got out of his lab and spread to the indigenous life forms on the island, then a year or two after Nemo died during the volcanic eruption we'd see the appearance of giant creatures other than his "food animals".

And THAT, folks, explains the giant bees! Very Happy

Gentlemen, this is a revelation! It means we can populate the Mysterious Island with giant, mutated versions of any kind of creature that might be found on the islands in the Pacific!

The San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance has a list of the flora and fauna of the South Sea islands. I picked 11 insects and animals that might have proliferated on the Mysterious Island after the volcanic eruption which caused the earthquakes that damaged Nemo's lab.

The damage to Nemo's lab released not only the virus but also the creatures he had already treated to stimulate their growth.

Imagine what Ray Harryhausen could do with some of the creatures shown below. The Mysterious Island would be portrayed as a new Skull Island, populated with dinosaur-sized creatures from our current ecology!

Here's our cast of characters. Very Happy

Spiders

Beetles

Dragonflies

Bats

Scorpions

Lizards

chameleons

Iguana

Boas

Crocodiles

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:11 pm; edited 5 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All marvelous selections Bud. My fav is the scorpion because it is such a fierce looking and frightening critter. The scorpion has been done via stop-motion in The Black Scorpion, Clash of the Titans, and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. But I'd still enjoy seeing a scorpion (or 2 or 3) done again for a feature film.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, live Iguanas already have on-screen experience doubling for dinosaurs in any number of "lost world" movies.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed, but with any of the animals shown above, I'd want Ray's version to be noticeably mutated as well as enlarged. Mr. Harryhausen's ability to design original creatures is a big part of what makes his work such a joy to watch.

As for the plot of this sequel, here's what I've come up with so far.

When the castaways return to America, newsman Gideon Spilitt writes a series of articles about their experience, and they're picked up by newspapers in America and around the world.

The news that Captain Nemo and the Nautilus have been discovered causes tremendous excitement, and various countries announce their plans to send well-equipped expeditions to the island. They all hope to be the one to rescue Nemo (not knowing that he's dead) and to lay claim to the Nautilus. They also want to recover the secret of his ability to enlarge animals.

As a result, the wealthy owner of a chain of major newspapers tells Mr. Spilitt that he'll fully-fund an American expedition. Spilitt convinces the millionaire that the former castaways should be part of the expedition because they know the island well, and while they were there they established a close relationship with Nemo.

Spilitt's thinking that if Nemo somehow survived the volcanic eruption, he might trust the castaways more than any of the people from the other expeditions — and beside, they know where the cave is located which contains the Nautilus .

In addition to the original castaways, several leading zoologist will accompany the expedition, along with several big game hunters who will attempt to capture some of the enlarged animals.

A few other newsmen will also be part of the group, to document this epic adventure.

Unfortunately, none of these people realize that Nemo's DNA-altering virus has turned the island into a land of strange, mutated creatures which were spawned by the virus.

So, some of the indigenous species shown above have been turned in monsters like the ones below.

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Mysterious Island Sequel ~ poster

Here's a "first draft" for the composition of the poster for the Mysterious Island sequel. D:

The image of the ship in the lower left-hand corner represents the manner in which the expedition travels across the Pacific to the island — as compared to the dramatic balloon journey from the original movie.

Naturally all the other "poster sfuff"— like the title and credits — will have to be worked in around this nice collage of images of exciting story elements.

(Good God, I would have been a GREAT filmmaker! Cool )

* Click on the image below to see my larger version . . . and visit the Mysterious Island!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, guys! The poster for the sequel! Very Happy

Click on the image to view the large version at 2,000 pixel wide, with great detail.

I wish I could go back in time, invest all my money in ways I knew (with hindsight) would make it grow, and then come back to the present iand cash everything in!

Then I'd take my billions back to the early 1960s, buy Columbia Studios, and keep Mr. Harryhausen busy making the sequels I've proposed. I could provide him with ample budgets, along with a team of young animators he could mentor and supervise during the creation of all the special effects required for the sequels I could think up!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question that has never once occurred to me in the last 60 years! Confused

Harryhausen said that he bought several live crabs, and they were cooked and eaten by crew, after which Ray used the shells to make the animation model.

But . . . how the hell did he get the steel endoskeleton — with the twelve tiny ball-and-socket joints required for the eight legs — inside those tiny limbs? :shock:TEXT

I mean, if the crab's shell had been artificial, something Ray made for the animation model, it could have been a foot-or-more across — in which case I could see how he'd be able to fit the endoskeleton inside it.

But an actual crab you get from a grocery store is less than eight inches across! (I looked it up.)

So . . . how did did he get that tiny steell endoskeleton inside the crab shell's legs. Shocked

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, you could invest $$$ into Microsoft, oil, land in California, Disney Company. That should net you a very handsome profit to finance those Charles Schneer/Ray Harryhausen movies with lavish budgets.

Spectacular poster design, Bruce! That'll get their keisters into the seats in the theaters.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Let's see, you could invest $$$ into Microsoft, oil, land in California, Disney Company. That should net you a very handsome profit to finance those Charles Schneer/Ray Harryhausen movies with lavish budgets.

Thanks, I'll pass that info on to my financial analyst! Very Happy

Now, as soon as I get my Delorean back from the shop, I'll be off to the past to make some investments . . . and then Back to the Future ( . . . I mean, the present) to collect my fortune!

Wish me luck!
[/size]

Hey, maybe I'll stop off in 2016 and put a few million on the Cubs to win the Series! Heck, they managed to win it just one year later than in Marty's timeline. I guess He must have changed something when he went to 2015!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: