ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contagion (2011)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Contagion (2011) Reply with quote

Please forgive me for doing a copy-and-paste review of this movie, but I haven't seen it and I wanted to get a discussion going.

That said, here's this from Wikipedia:

Contagion is a 2011 medical thriller disaster film. Directed by Steven Soderbergh, the film features an ensemble cast that includes Marion Cotillard, Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, and Jennifer Ehle.

The plot of Contagion documents the spread of a virus transmitted by fomites, attempts by medical researchers and public health officials to identify and contain the disease, the loss of social order in a pandemic, and finally the introduction of a vaccine to halt its spread. Contagion makes use of a "hyperlink narrative" style popularized in several of Soderbergh's other films to follow several interacting plot lines.

Soderbergh and screenwriter Scott Z. Burns had collaborated on The Informant! (2009).

Following the release of that film, the two considered creating a biopic covering the life of Leni Riefenstahl before Burns brought up the idea of producing a medical thriller film depicting the rapid spread of a virus, which was inspired by various pandemics such as the 2003 SARS epidemic and the 2009 flu pandemic.

To devise an accurate perception of a pandemic event, Burns consulted with representatives from the World Health Organization, as well as renowned medical personnel such as W. Ian Lipkin and Lawrence "Larry" Brilliant. Principal photography started in Hong Kong in September, and continued in Chicago, Atlanta, London, Geneva, and San Francisco until February 2011.

(My take on this movie)

The film was similar to Outbreak, which I enjoyed very much. I admired the accuracy of the science used in the plot. I recommend it.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bongopete
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about seeing a movie and then being hyper aware of things I was touching for days afterwards!!!!!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the trailer from YouTube.

MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in with Bongo. For weeks after seeing it, I wouldn't leave the house without a bottle of hand sanitizer.
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when the movie came out, I read an article that discussed the movie with Doctors. They said that the disease depicted in the movie would be the best kind to have. It had such a short incubation rate, that it would burn itself out before it could spread that widely. Their nightmare is a disease that takes about a week to incubate, it could spread around the world before they knew it existed.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but that sounds exactly like Covid 19. Life imitates art, eh? Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: