ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lone Ranger (1949 –1957)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
However, the closing scene in practically every episode is obviously designed to have the last line delivered by a character who was in the story, and that character always includes the title of the series.

"Who was that masked man?"

"Why, EVERYBODY knows him! He's . . . The Lone Ranger!"

Don't forget the lines in-between...

"Who was that masked man?"

"I don't know, but he left this silver bullet."

"A silver bullet? Why, that was The Lone Ranger!"

And while we're discussing authentic western garb vs (super)hero costumes, consider the Cisco Kid...

Prior to the mid-1950s TV Westerns were aimed at kids, so conventions derived from comic books were the norm. Then in the mid-'50s we began hearing the term "adult Westerns" as the target audience shifted to the grown-ups.

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh Cisco....."
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Ooooh, Poncho!"
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have been a hoot & a holler to have seen a Lone Ranger & Tonto crossover with Cisco & Poncho. Perhaps in a feature film. I'd have loved to have seen the Lone Ranger & Tonto team up in one of Roy Rogers' movies.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that all the main characters needed sidekicks to converse with (whether in Westerns or other genres) because there is no convention in audio-visual media equivalent to the "overarching omniscient perspective" that is available in literature to convey information to the audience. This was/is accomplished in audio-visual media, as well as some literature, by conversations between the main character and his sidekick...

The Lone Ranger and Tonto
The Cisco Kid and Pancho
The Green Hornet and Kato
Batman and Robin
Green Arrow and Speedy
Captain America and Bucky
Red Ryder and Little Beaver
Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson
Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and Gabby Hayes
Gene Autry and Pat Buttram or Smiley Burnette
Sky King and Penny
Gilgamesh and Enkidu
Achilles and Patroclus
Moses and Aaron
Don Quixote and Sancho Panza
Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee
Wild Bill Hickok and Jingles
Captain Kirk and Mr Spock (and Dr McCoy)
Ralph Hinkley and Bill Maxwell
Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo
Quick Draw McGraw and Baba Looey
Ren and Stimpy
3-D Danny and Bazark
Big Jon and Sparkie

...and many more...

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Beany and Cecil the seasick sea serpent!

The Shadow and Margo Lane (Lois's sister?)

Great point Orzel!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The character of Artemus Gordon (Ross Martin) was created in order to have Secret Service Agent James West as someone to talk to regarding the plot of an episode and its developments along the way. As the show went on, the part of Arty grew because Martin was such a fine actor and could bring comedy to the show that a serious Jim West could not.

From Wikipedia & Television Cartoon Shows by Hal Erickson.

The Lone Ranger was created by George W. Trendle & Fran Striker for Trendle's WXYZ Detroit radio station in 1933.

TLR proved to be immensely popular and would be seen in movie serials, live action television series and comic books.

The Lone Ranger & Tonto animated TV series premiere on CBS on Saturday, September 10, 1966 and ran until September 6, 1969 for a total of 26 half-hour episodes featuring three brief adventures per episode.

For variety some of the episodes would have the Ranger & Tonto operating together while other episodes would see the Ranger or Tonto have a solo adventure.

Character animation was rudimentary, but the background art by Walt Peregoy---utilizing black marking-pencil borders and torn colored paper---was eye catching and highly innovational.

One could call the story material innovational too. TLR was similar in tone and nature to CBS's The Wild, Wild West TV series. Both shows dealt with science fiction & steampunk technology elements. The show had robots, death rays, weather machines, mole machines, and larger than life villains.

TLR even had a recurring arch villain named Tiny Tom who was a little person and Tom's giant henchman Goliath. They were clearly analogous to TWWW's Dr. Miguelito Loveless & Voltaire.

Vic Schoen composed the distinct atmospheric music for the series.

The show was designed and made by Halas & Batchelor Cartoon Film studios in London, England, and Artransa Park Studios in Australia.

Sidebar: I found this to be a fun and entertaining show with terrific animation designs to it that were not like any other animated TV shows at that time. If you recall the marvelous opening animated credits to TWWW then you would see a similar style for TLR cartoon show.

Some folks might dislike taking the Ranger & Tonto into the SF genre arena. I was not one of them. It made the show colorful and exciting to view. Plus, being a huge TWWW fan helped.

The voice actors were all excellent and included such guest stars as Agnes Moorehead, Hans Conried, and William Conrad.

I was only sorry that 26 episodes were produced and not more.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, this makes me regret more than ever that I had to get rid of my Roku, because I disliked the fact that the audio connection couldn't be hooked up separately to my elderly-but-beloved stereo system, which uses the old RCA left/right plugs.

Without being able to do that, I couldn't listen to the shows and movies on my comfortable-and-effective Sony stereo headphones.

So, I ditched the Roku . . . with regrets. Sad
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now, please allow me to clarify that for you, me old bucko! It all has to do with the fact that the Roku actually would hook up to my TV . . . but it would NOT hook up to what I needed it for! Shocked

To put it simply, Tim me lad, the sound system in my living room uses a Marantz Quadraphonic receiver, and this massive unit powers two large Nivico speakers at the front the room (a name whch stands for the Victor Company of Nippon — aka Japan.)

At the back of the living room are two equally large Yamaha speakers, along with two humble little Sony speakers on each side . All four of those speakers, of course, are from Japan too. Wink

Those two small speakers aren't shown in this older photo.

Unfortunately, none of these six speakers are ever played very loud — simply because the elderly ladies who live on either side of my comfortable townhome would bang their gnarled fists against the walls if I ever cranked the stereo up too loud! Shocked

And that, Tim, is why I wear those nifty Sony headphones.! Cool

They provide me with complete stereophonic separation at full volume . . . while allowing me to enjoy peace on Earth and good will towards my neighbors. Cool

So, Roku didn't jave a wau to send the audio to the ancient sound system, even though it can send it to the TV. Fortunately the DISH box has RCA jacks that connect it with the amp.

As for the speakers inside my TV . . . well heck, why would I need those wimpy little things? The television's volume has been dialed down to zero since the day bought it! Sad

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Hart was a block of wood. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: