ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter Villain by John Scalzi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Published Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Starter Villain by John Scalzi Reply with quote

I read this book last month.

Sort of Science Fiction, but close in time Sci Fi.

It's an interesting plot, something new and different.
some interesting plot structure and characters, add in a few plot twists and it makes for a good read.

From good reads:

Charlie's life is going nowhere fast. A divorced substitute teacher living with his cat in a house his siblings want to sell, all he wants is to open a pub downtown, if only the bank will approve his loan.

Then his long-lost uncle Jake dies and leaves his supervillain business (complete with island volcano lair) to Charlie.

But becoming a supervillain isn't all giant laser death rays and lava pits. Jake had enemies, and now they're coming after Charlie. His uncle might have been a stand-up, old-fashioned kind of villain, but these are the real thing: rich, soulless predators backed by multinational corporations and venture capital.

I have to say this was fresh and interesting. I could not put the book down. Interesting new science fiction is hard to find.

After this I read Scalzi's older book "Red Shirts".
Another fine read with an off the wall plot.

His book "Old Mans War" is on my kindle

I might have found a new author to read!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a stellar book review! If John Scalzi's book is as well written as your post, I'm eager to read it. The premise is unique, and it sounds like a hoot-and-a-half!

It's a shoe-in for a big-budget sci-fi spoof in the Austin Powers mold!

Thanks, Mark! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Published Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: