ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are your favorite kinds of science fiction stories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of science fiction do you prefer?
A ~ Optimistic stories which present a bright future
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
B ~ Inspiring tales in which the characters face a challenge
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
C ~ Dystopian futures which depict apocalyptic societies
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D ~ Both A and B
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
E ~ A, B, and C
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: What are your favorite kinds of science fiction stories? Reply with quote

We all have our favorite science fiction movies, novels, and short stories. And of course, people have widely varied tastes.

Some folks prefer stories about an optimistic future, with noble characters who represent the best in mankind,

At the other end of the spectrum are the dark, dystopian, apocalyptic tales about a world in which civilization has gone to hell and life really sucks!

Many folks enjoy a wide range of science fiction. They like the optimistic type of stories (like Forbidden Planet and The Martian), as well as the less optimistic ones (like Blade Runner and Metropolis).

The poll at the top of this thread includes choices which allow you to express your personal preference.

After voting, tell us a bit about your choice, along with examples of your favorite sci-fi stories which fall into the category you chose. Site a few examples of stories you like in the category you chose, and tell us why they appeal to you.

Bear in mind that your examples can be movies, TV series, novels, or short stories. You can also name some of the stories you like which are different from the choice you made above.

The "exceptions to the rule" are well worth discussing! Very Happy

Please Note: Feel free to make a brief post or a elaborate one. Either kind will be greatly appreciate by member of All Sci-Fi.

Here's my initial contribution this discussion.

Like most folks, a great story can impress me despite the fact that my preference is stories that depict a bright future, and stories about noble characters who face a challenge.

The Classic movies from the 1950s that best represent my main preference are Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Space Children, This Island Earth, The Time Machine, and The Thing from Another World.

In the field of literature, I enjoy Larry Niven's work because he describes a future in which mankind has developed advanced technology.

However, I also enjoy some of the darker movies, like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Colossus of New York, Rocketship X-M, and War of the Worlds,

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank the two members who voted in the poll. I hope they'll post something as well. Cool

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Bud.

It's a interesting question, and one that's very hard to answer.

For me, I'm a TOS Star Trek lover. That's an optimistic future.

TNG is SUPER optimistic, but sometimes it just gets way too sappy. It has some great episodes, but overall it falls far short of TOS.

DS9 is superior in almost every level to TNG, and it is a darker trek than any other.

I do love Pal's War of the Worlds, despite its religious overtones. Forbidden Planet is 50's Sci fi perfection.

More modern, The Martian is close to cinematic perfection, Even though the book is better.

But . . . Blade Runner is cinematic perfection and better than the book.

And what about 2001 ASO? Is it dystopian? Optimistic? Neither?

For books, I'm a solid Larry Niven lover. Arthur C Clarke, Asimov, Herbert, and Campbell are up there as well.

New authors I also love are Wier and Scalzi. That's a mixed bag.

I guess its more about the quality in the end.

That's why I voted E
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, your reply is better than anything we expected! Very Happy

You've expanded the question in exactly the way I refrained from doing so, simply because I didn't want to make too complex for a friendly discussion on All Sci-Fi.

However, I hope All Sci-Fi's members will rise to the challenge and build on what you've said.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: