ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wrecking Crew (1969)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: The Wrecking Crew (1969) Reply with quote

Dean Martin's last outing as Matt Helm -- a horny, alcoholic photographer who occasionally moonlights as a spy. This was America's jokey answer to the suave and handsome James Bond. "The Wrecking Crew" is perhaps the least jokey of the series, but this one has a few good gags.

The Helm series ran hot and cold as far as the girls it offered male viewers to ogle, and this one offered a slightly over-the-hill Elke Sommer, a fresh-from-"Gilligan's Island" Tina Louise, a China-doll-cute Nancy Kwan, and a very lovely Sharon Tate as Dean's klutzy-but-gorgeous sidekick).

_

_

Nigel Green (Hercules from "Jason and the Argonauts") is the villain who steals a trainload of gold. Directed by William Karlson.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:37 pm; edited 5 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wrecking Crew (1969) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The Helm series ran hot and cold as far as the girls it offered male viewers to ogle, and this one offered a slightly over-the-hill Elke Sommer, a fresh-from-"Gilligan's Island" Tina Louise, a China-doll-cute Nancy Kwan, and a very lovely Sharon Tate as Dean's klutzy-but-gorgeous sidekick).

Exqueeze me, but Elke Sommer "slightly over-the-hill"? She was well shy of 30 when she made this picture.

Does this woman look over-the-hill to you?
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wrecking Crew (1969) Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:

To quote Curly: "Anng-anng-anng-anng..."

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wrecking Crew (1969) Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:

Okay, "over-the-hill" was a bad call, and she looks very nice in that elegant outfit.

But she's a bit . . . well, static when compared to Sharon Tate, especially when Miss Tate put on that little white dress and caused small brush fires in adjacent areas just by shaking her delicious derriere across the hotel room to the beat of a jazzy piece of music.

Allow me to illustrate.

I present the following photo essay purely in the interest of the performing arts -- specifically modern dance.

Fellow supporters of art and culture may view the actual performance at the link below.

Behold . . .

______ Sharon Tate - The Wrecking Crew Scene 3

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:47 pm; edited 6 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ Bruce Lee was the martial arts adviser for this film. He also was brought in to train and teach Sharon Tate with her martial arts scenes.

Note from me: I'm sure Bruce was amused by Miss Tate's efforts to emulate true martial arts move.

~ Film debut (as an extra) of Chuck Norris

Note from me: I'm sure Bruce and Chuck interacted behind the scenes. I'd be surprised if Bruce didn't teach Chuck a thing or two between takes! Very Happy

~ Dean Martin was so distraught over the murder of his The Wrecking Crew (1968) co-star and friend Sharon Tate in August 1969, six months after the movie was released, then still playing in theatres in the US and opening internationally, that he abandoned the next already announced "Matt Helm" motion picture series installment (to be titled "The Ravagers") and never played the character again.

This is contrary to the widely held opinion that the series ended due to poor reviews and box office.

Note from me: I admire Dean for his loyalty to his lovely friend and his sympathy for her horrible murderer. Sad

~ Karate champion Mike Stone was Dean Martin's fight double. Stone was Priscilla Presley's boyfriend after she left Elvis.

Note from me: Naturally audiences knew that the aging Mr. Martin was not doing those fight scenes, and it was a mistake to even include such unconvincing shots in the movie. It would have been better to have Dean's character perform some clever and humorous maneuver to defeat an attacker quickly, rather than show him supposedly fight the bad guy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: