ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where Have All the People Gone? (1974 TV movie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Where Have All the People Gone? (1974 TV movie) Reply with quote

John Moxey directed this made-for-TV movie about a family on a cave-exploring-camping-trip who are among the few who survive when a solar flare deals a death blow to mankind.

Peter Graves ("Killers from Space", "Beginning of the End") is the head of the lucky family who happen to be underground when the Earth is blanketed by radiation.

Expect no special effects, strange sets, bizarre mutants, or rampaging motorcycle gangs. Just piles of ashes where the unprotected people used to be. The solar flare somehow infused the bodies with heat which caused them to quickly turn to gray powder shortly after the wave of radiation washed over the earth.

Not a very scientifically accurate treatment of the concept. And the poster gets the science even more wrong by showing the sun as a red giant.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:46 pm; edited 7 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this one, but it sounds as if 1984's Night of the Comet was a better version of basically the same concept. At least it gave us some sardonic humor and a couple of cute Valley Girls.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube has the movie, but the picture is so fuzzy I didn't bother including the link on my post, they way I've done with so many others. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, I bought a DVD (a copy of an off-the-air VHS recording) of WHATPG from ioffer.com, and it's quite a bit better than the youtube offering.

Yes, NIGHT OF THE COMET is a better movie, but WHATPG is certainly worth watching, and it is several notches above one of the other Graves movies Bud mentioned- KILLERS FROM SPACE.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? You're kidding! It's BETTER than Killers from Space?

Wow, that's hard to believe. After all, Killers from Space is the only movie to inspired a popular emoticon, right?

I mean . . . I've always just assumed . . .

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best download of the movie that I've found has considerably better picture quality than the Youtube videos- it is a torrent download from Pirate Bay.
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/8429593/Where_Have_All_The_People_Gone_
The image is 512 pixels wide x 384 high.

Unfortunately, the sound isn't very good. It starts out pretty mushy. After a few minutes, it gets better, but it's never great.

The very best version of WHATPG that I have found is on a DVD that I bought at iOffer.com (the one I made reference to above). Best picture and best sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: