ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Batman (1989)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Batman (1989) Reply with quote

You have to hand it to Tim Burton, he made a movie that looks deadly serious . . . but isn't meant to be taken the least bit seriously.

On paper this must have looked like a disaster in the making. A big budget movie about a superhero everybody chuckles at (thanks to the jokey TV series), played by a short actor with a weak chin, famous for his comedy roles. The villain is a guy who paints his face like a clown. And the director looks like a member of Kiss without the makeup.

And yet there's no denying that this movie is pure fun from start to finish. The music by Danny Elfman sets the tone perfectly, and Jack Nicholson's performance must have come straight from his own quirky nature, because no writer could put what he did on paper.

In fact, Nicholson's great portrayal of the stark raving mad Joker is a big factor in the movie's success. He convinces us that the Joker really is crazy enough to look and act the bizarre way he does.

Without that, we'd think this was just a big budget movie version of the old TV series.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed this movie from start to finish, and I mean from START to finish! The opening title sequence propels you along thru what looks like a nightmarish labyrinth while Danny Elfman's spirited Batman theme fills your ears; it really gets the juices flowing! Then it pulls back and you see that, SURPRISE, you were actually travelling along inside the Batman logo! Just genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9LU1RqKwo8

I have to confess I wasn't too excited when I heard that Michael Keaton was playing The Bat but he put on a great performance.

Kim Bassinger was just okay I thought but who cares? She looked GREAT!

Jack Nicholson as the Joker was tremendous, the best Joker ever I thought, right up until I saw Heath Ledger's Joker, although his portrayal of the master criminal was almost too disturbing to watch.

I must admit I loved the car best of all though; my second most favorite Batmobile after the Adam West 1966 TV version. Of course, I built the AMT model of it...

To see more pics go to the model subforum here:
http://www.allsci-fi.us/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=6418#6418
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't look at the TV Batmobile without thinking of the gorgeous Lincoln Futura -- a car I saw in the 1959 movie, "It Started with a Kiss". I bought the model --

-- and I've got pictures of that car on the wall in my living room (along with other "dream cars" from the 1950s and 1960s).

To me the TV Batmobile is just a gilded lily that pales next to the original. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: The original Batmobile comes up for sale again Reply with quote

Like a batarang, the original Batmobile comes up for sale again
Daniel Strohl, Hemmings Daily

Maybe he needed space for a new couch? After telling the world he planned to install the original Batmobile in his living room two years ago, Batman fan Rick Champagne has decided to put the car up for sale once again.

Champagne, founder of a logistics company based out of Phoenix, paid $4.62 million for the Batmobile in January 2013 at Barrett-Jackson's annual Scottsdale auction, buying it out of George Barris's personal collection. Barris — along with designer Herb Grasse and metalshaper Bill Cushenberry — transformed the former Lincoln Futura concept car into the Batmobile for the producers of the Batman television show and had already convinced Lincoln to sell the car to him for $1.

The final selling price Champagne paid for the car — $4.2 million plus a 10 percent buyer's premium — was widely acknowledged as the world record selling price for car specifically built for television or film, barely nudging aside the ??2,912,000 paid for the James Bond Aston Martin DB5 in 2010. Other cars that weren't specifically built to appear on film but still had parts in the making of certain movies, including the 1968 Ford GT40 used for the production of Steve McQueen's Le Mans, have sold for more than the Batmobile's 2013 selling price.

Currently for sale in Barrett-Jackson's showroom, the Batmobile's asking price now sits at $5 million, though Champagne is accepting offers. For more information, visit Barrett-Jackson.com.

BDT: Is this the Lincoln Futura or one of many copies made? I need more than the word original.

more pictures at LINK:
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/06/29/like-a-batarang-the-original-batmobile-comes-up-for-sale-again/?refer=news
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the wording in this part of the article, I think it's the original.

Champagne . . . paid $4.62 million for the Batmobile . . . buying it out of George Barris's personal collection. Barris . . . transformed the former Lincoln Futura concept car into the Batmobile for the producers of the Batman television show and had already convinced Lincoln to sell the car to him for $1.

Add to this the very high selling price based on the collector's value the automobile, I'd have to say it's the original.

I must admit, despite my years of resentment at what they did to the beautiful Lincoln Future to make the Batmobile, it certainly looks well maintained. And the picture above compliments the design extremely well.

The Futura was in horrible shape by the time Barris and company took possession and began the conversion, so it wasn't as if they started with the Futura in her prime and spoiled her pristine beauty. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Futura had a prominent role in the 1959 movie, "It Started with a Kiss"...

From IMCDB (Internet Movie Cars Database):

This movie stars Glynn Ford as an Air Force Sergeant and Debbie Reynolds as his model wife who surprises him with a new car that he won in a an auto show raffle. The film explores how the Futura (it's original pearl color repainted red for the movie) changes their lives and causes a strain in their relationship. The car is a major part of the film and is seen and driven often. It was designed as a 1955 Ford Motor Company show car by Roy Brown, who then went on to design the Edsel. After Ford was finished with it, it was sold to the studio for use in the film.

See a short video clip from the movie. Debbie Reynolds looks great in her red dress:

Last edited by trekriffic on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 am; edited 5 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekriffic wrote:
The Futura had a prominent role in the 1959 movie, "It Started with a Kiss"...

Ah, yes indeed. That's exactly when my love affair with the Futura began. A drive-in theater, a warm summer evening, a passionate young man, and the most beautiful thing in the universe, right there with me, alone in the dark --

-- except for my mother, my father, and my little sister, who sat in the backseat and watched her brother fall in love with a machine that perfectly combined art and science into one bright red package with bucket seats and a plexiglass power roof.

The feature film that night in 1959 was the movie you mentioned, and the moment I saw it on screen, my heart belonged to that vision from a future age, the world of tomorrow, mankind's destiny.

The movie is available on DVD, and its the only Debbie Reynolds movie were she's the second prettiest thing on the screen.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Champagne has to be more like hard up for cash than in need of furniture space. If he's got a $5 mil price tag on it he's loosing about $366K from what he paid for the car in '13. He paid $4.63 mil, 10% fee and 5.6% Arizona auto sales tax. Sheesh. He'd have been better off picking up a top of the line '66 Batmobile replica from Fiberglass Freaks for a mere $220K. However, as a long time auction goer, it's never ceases to surprise me how people will get carried away in auctions. With crowded auctions, the buyer is often not so much the "winner" as the "sucker".
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a fan-made trailer for The Last Starfighter (1984) on the thread for that movie, and the trailer had this amusing message at the beginning.

I wondered just how true the claim at the bottom was, so I made a list of 1980s science fiction films that I thought were good, just to see if that decade really did produce a significant number of “the best” sci-fi movies.

This movie is on the list I made. I know what I like about thefilm (and a few things I don’t like), but I’d like to hear the pros and cons from the rest of you folks.

So, what do you think, guys? Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: