ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

District 9 (2009)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: District 9 (2009) Reply with quote

I guess I just didn't get this movie. The basic premise didn't appeal to me, and I didn't follow the story well.

That whole shaky-camera thing has never appealed to me. It's supposed to make the story seem more realistic, but it just makes it look shaky, you know?

However, if anybody wants to point out some of the film's merits I missed, I'd love to hear about them.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the movie okay, but I felt they missed a better story. There is a scene in the beginning, where they cut into the ship, and find the Aliens in horrible shape. That scene haunted me throughout the film.

I felt the better film would have had them cutting into the ship, finding it to be a pigsty, the Aliens starving and idiots, probably from starvation. An international team of Scientists and Engineers have to get the Aliens from the ship, and quickly find out what to feed them that will nourish them, and not kill them. They will also need to find away to communicate with the Aliens, and try and find out if the ship is going to stay hovering, or crash to the ground. In addition to all of this the Scientists and Engineers are having to deal with the interference from the International Commission, none of whom are Scientists or Engineers. There will also be Intelligence Personnel trying to find what they can.

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed this movie on several fronts.

It broke away from the usual alien invasion cliches. Instead of fighting them we have to find ways of accommodating them.

The treatment of the alien population is an allegorical portrayal of the way we handle large populations of human aliens in our midst.

The satire of Dutch bureaucracy was very fitting. I've worked with employees in a division of our company in the Netherlands, and I recognized their traits in the movie's stereotype.

The CGI effects were well done.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's part of why I didn't enjoy it. We're all very aware the horrible way mankind has treated mankind, so to speak. I like Pow's suggestions, though. A movie about how mankind deals intelligently with the problem of starving aliens who aren't here to invade, their here to seek refuge, like millions of human immigrates throughout history.

I realize that people aren't saints, but I prefer movies that inspire us to be better than we are, instead of reminding us just how disappointing our racial behavior has often been.

And yet, I understand the value of stories that remind us of the mistakes we've made. Without such stories we're doomed to repeat them.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I like Pow's suggestions, though. A movie about how mankind deals intelligently with the problem of starving aliens who aren't here to invade, their here to seek refuge, like millions of human immigrates throughout history.

They treated the Zanti Misfits well, and look what happened there.

My biggest problem with D9 was the silly "transformers" scene near the end. I guess it targeted the juvenile audience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: