ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969 England)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969 England) Reply with quote

____

In the sixth James Bond extravaganza, George Lazenby did his best to handle this legendary role. But the problem with Lazenby's version of James Bond is that he spends too much time portraying 007's suave, cool, ultra-competence.

The fight scenes are flawed by arty editing that was perhaps intended to disguise badly staged stunts. Convincing stunts are the very heart of the James Bond series, and without them the film looks blatantly bogus.

Despite high production values and beautiful Alpine scenery, the plot is oddly unBond-like; arch-villian Blofeld (Telly Savalas) plans to cause world sterility with a drug he blends with women's cosmetics.

World sterility just doesn't sound like a Bond villain's aspiration -- it sounds more like the warped scheme of a Planned Parenthood fanatic.

The tragedy depicted by the sad ending is an unforgivable departure from Bond-film tradition -- despite the fact that it was taken directly from the Ian Flemming novel. Perhaps director Peter R. Hunt was trying to prevent the Bond series from becoming exactly what the Roger Moore films turned it into: action-filled comedies instead of light-heart adventures.

Diana Rigg ("The Avengers") is Bond's love interest. In spite of her huge fan-following from "The Avengers", Miss Rigg is not a "Bond girl". She's an "Avengers" girl.

It's not the same thing.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:17 pm; edited 6 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my fav 007 films as well as music scores.
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This remains one of my favorite films — period. It suffered a bit from the fresh absence of Sean Connery, but it is one great action film if for no other reason than Hunt's snappy direction and the great snow chase scenes. While Diana Rigg will always be more Emma than Tracy to me, you have to admit she never looked more beautiful than in this film. I'm looking forward to the next time I see it.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can tell from my initial post, I failed to appreciate this movie as much you two did. My loss, of course -- but there have been films I've disliked and then later realized were much better than I'd first thought.

I love it when I'm proven wrong and get to add a new movie to my favorites list. Very Happy

Meanwhile, here's a question for all my fellow Bond fans: How does Pierce Brosnan's depiction of the famous spy compare to George's?

Please don't let the fact that I really like Mr. Brosnan's Bond films prevent you from laming into him with your frank and unfettered criticisms if you don't happen to be real fond of his portrayal.

Give it to me straight, folks!
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Pierce Brosnan as Bond a lot, maybe even better than Moore, who I used to rank as number two.

I just wish he'd had better overall films, though.

Most films of the series have been a mash of highlights and lowlights, and some of the lows in his kind of stick in my mind. But I always thought Pierce really worked with character. The Bond character on film requires a certain charisma factor that's probably separate from acting ability.

Pierce had it. George was in there, but didn't really look that great after Sean. Poor Tim Dalton was a fine actor, but he just never for a minute seemed like Bond to me. He might have been 006 or something. Dan Craig kind of reworked it for the new century as a series reboot, and it works that way, I suppose.

BTW, I always wished at some point that they'd just restart the Bond series with the novels in the periods they were written. The character and everything else would make a lot more sense in that context. At least they're trying that with the Man From UNCLE. We'll see how it works.
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if we have all the time in the world, the world is not enough.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is directed by Peter Hunt and adapted to screenplay by Richard Maibaum from the novel written by Ian Fleming. It stars George Lazenby, Diana Rigg, Telly Savalas, Ilse Steppat, Yuri Borienko and Gabriele Ferzetti. Music is by John Barry and cinematography by Michael Reed.

Bond 6 and 007 is obsessed with locating SPECTRE supremo Ernst Stavro Blofeld. After rescuing beautiful Countess Tracy di Vincenzo from suicide, this brings Bond into contact with her father, Marc Ange Draco, who agrees to help Bond find Blofeld in exchange for 007 courting Tracy. Blofeld is located in the Switzerland Alps at Piz Gloria, where he is masterminding a fiendish plot involving biological extinction of food group species'. Bond will need to use all his wits to stop the plan from being executed, he also has big matters of the heart to contend to as well...

Connery gone, but not for good as it turned out, so into the tuxedo came George Lazenby, an Australian model with no previous acting experience of note. It would be Lazenby's only stint as 007, badly advised by those around him that Bond had no future in the upcoming 70s, his head swelling with ego by the day (something he readily admits and regrets), Lazenby announced he would only be doing the one James Bond film. The legacy of OHMSS is the most interesting in the whole Bond franchise, for where once it was reviled and wrongly accused of being a flop, it now, over 40 years later, is regarded as being one of the finest entries in the whole series. Yes it is still divisive, I have seen some fearful arguments about its worth, but generations of critics and film makers have come along to laud it as essential Bond and essential Fleming's Bond at that.

Everything about OHMSS is different to what Connery's Bond had become, the gadgets are gone and heaven forbid, Bond got a heart and fell in love. He was a man, with real aggression, real emotions and forced to use brain and brawn instead of mechanical trickery. Changes in the production department, too, wasn't just about Lazenby's appearance. Peter Hunt, previously the Bond film's editor, directed his one and only Bond film, and Michael Reed on cinematography also appears for the one and only time. New Bond, new era, but reviews were mixed and in spite of making a profit of over $73 million Worldwide, this was considerably down on previous films. The reviews didn't help, with much scorn poured on Lazenby for not being Connery, but really it's hard to imagine anyone coming in and not getting beat with that particular stick! Box office take wasn't helped by the film's length, at over 2 hours 10 minutes, this restricted the number of showings in theatres, something that should be greatly noted.

Away from Bond anyway, OHMSS is a stunning action thriller in its own right. From the opening beach side fist fight, where uppercuts lift men off their feet and drop kicks propel them backwards, to helicopter attacks, bobsleigh pursuits (resplendent with punches and flinging bodies), ski chases and a car chase in the middle of a stock car race: on ice! There's enough pulse pumping action here to fill out two Bond movies. But the Bond aspects are magnificent as well. Lazenby has wonderful physicality and throws a mean punch, he cuts a fine figure of a man and he's acting inexperience isn't a problem in the hands of the astute Hunt. Lazenby is matched by Rigg as Tracy, the best Bond girl of them all, she's no bimbo, she's tough (fighting off a guy with a broken bottle), smart yet vulnerable, funny and heart achingly beautiful, her interplay with Lazenby is brilliantly executed, so much so that when the devastating finale arrives it has extra poignancy. A scene that closes the film on a downbeat note and remains the most emotional scene ever put into a Bond movie.

Savalas finally gives us a villain who can compete with Bond on a physical level, making the fight between them an evenly matched and believable one. He lacks Pleasance's sinister fizzog, though the bald pate and Grecian looks marks Savalas out as an imposing foe as well. The Swiss Alps setting is gorgeous, with Reed capturing the scope magnificently, while some of his colour lensing in the interiors soothe the eyes considerably. Barry's score is one of his best, lush romantic strains accompany Tracy and James, operatic overtures dart in and out of the Swiss scenery and the James Bond theme is deftly woven into the action sequences. Louis Armstrong's beautiful "We Have All The Time In The World" features prominently, perfectly romantic and forever to be thought of as part of the Bond Universe. Finally it's the great writing that gives us the best sequence involving the trifecta of Bond, Moneypenny (Lois Maxwell) and M (Bernard Lee). 5 minutes of class that gives Moneypenny an acknowledged importance in the relationship between the two men in her life. It's just one of a number of truly excellent scenes in the greatest Bond film of them all. 10/10

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969 England) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
. . . World sterility just doesn't sound like a Bond villain's aspiration — it sounds more like the warped scheme of a Planned Parenthood fanatic.

Actually it sounds more like the villain's goal in a spy comedy or spoof, as it could be a vehicle for endless male impotency and sterility jokes. In fact, that was exactly the plan of bad guy Mr. Ardonian (played by Raf Vallone) in the 1966 Bond spoof Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die, also starring Mike Connors, Dorothy Provine and Terry-Thomas.

The Spike wrote:
. . . After rescuing beautiful Countess Tracy di Vincenzo from suicide . . .

Which ends with Tracy leaving the scene in her car. After she gets away, Lazenby-Bond picks up her shoes and quips, "This never happened to the other fella."

That stupid line took me right out of the movie even before the opening credits rolled! I'm sorry, but this isn't a comedy. That's not breaking the fourth wall — it's painting it.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must compliment this movie.

Of all the Bond films that didn't work . . . this one definitely didn't work the best. Rolling Eyes

Kiss the Girls and Make them Die succeeds masterfully by comparison (with the exception of the horrible harmonica film score), and Mike Connors was a better Bond-like secret agent than anyone other Sean than Connery and Pierce Brosnan, both of whom I like equally well.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've watched Goldfinger about 3 times in the movie theater. Odd Job, the car, the women and Bond — so cool.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius wrote:
I think I've watched Goldfinger about 3 times in the movie theater. Odd Job, the car, the women and Bond — so cool.

I'm on record as saying that Goldfinger is THE quintessential Bond film. It was the right movie, released at the right time, with all the right elements for the cultural craze which mesmerized the world.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ During filming at Piz Gloria, the cast and crew received their per diems in cash.

Upon seeing George Lazenby with a suitcase stuffed full of cash, Telly Savalas invited him to a late-night poker game that he regularly held with crew members, and promptly relieved Lazenby of having to carry so much extra weight.

When he learned of this, producer Harry Saltzman visited the location, joined the game (over Savalas' protests), and won back Lazenby's money!

He then informed Savalas in no uncertain terms that he was not to victimize his "boy" (Lazenby) again.

Note from me: I hope this great story is true because I love it! Very Happy

~ George Lazenby suggested a scene where Bond skis off a cliff and opens a parachute. This was scrapped, as the filmmakers lacked the resources to pull it off. It was used as the opening for The Spy Who Loved Me (1977).

Note from me: Way to go, George! That is a great moment in the very best of the Roger Moore movies! Very Happy

~ Blofeld's headquarters was a partially completed restaurant on top of Mount Schilthorn.

The owners allowed filming on condition EON Productions paid $125,000 and made the interior sets as permanent fixtures and construct a helicopter pad. This involved 500 tons of concrete being taken up by helicopter at a cost of $125,000.

When the restaurant opened, it was given the name Piz Gloria used in the movie. The only public access to the restaurant is by cable car (from Mürren or Stechelberg).

The Piz Gloria was the first established revolving mountain restaurant in the world.

Note from me: What a remarkable story this is! I can't help admiring the creators of that remarkable restaurant for making arrangements with the movie studio to help them complete such an ambitious project. Cool

This next item is unusually long, but it has so many interesting items that I just had to include it! Shocked

~ There are many reasons why George Lazenby only made one appearance as James Bond.

According to the DVD documentary, here are some of the main reasons:

1. Lazenby's youthful cockiness rankled producer Albert R. Broccoli's nerves. One incident mentioned is Lazenby skiing down the slopes on his own (resulting in the broken arm) and a moment of arrogance on Lazenby's part that spoiled a cast and crew party.

2. The notoriously harsh British tabloids writing up unfavorable stories about Lazenby and how he fails to measure up to Sir Sean Connery, thereby swaying public opinion against the movie before it was released.

One incident cited by Lazenby was during an interview with a reporter in the commissary in which Diana Rigg jokingly yelled from across the room "I'm having garlic for lunch, darling! I hope you are too!"

This lead to an article in which Rigg supposedly hated Lazenby so much that "She eats garlic before love scenes".

3. Lazenby believed that the Bond film franchise was over in the wake of more sophisticated movies like The Graduate (1967) and Easy Rider (1969), and the tuxedo-clad secret agent was out of touch with the newly liberated 1970s.

He mentioned to his theatrical agent that he wasn't sure if he wanted to play Bond again, even before this movie was released. The producers heard this and were none too pleased.

Lazenby had been offered a seven-movie deal and had signed a letter of intent to star in Diamonds Are Forever (1971). He had even been paid an initial fee installment which he later refunded.

Although some claim this movie was a box-office failure, it was in fact a huge hit, recouping more than ten times its cost and becoming the second highest grossing movie of the year at the worldwide box office.

Note from me: Wow . . . the Hollywood Backstory for this movie is interesting (to me) than the movie itself! Confused

~ The producers originally intended to explain the change of lead actors in this movie by saying that Bond had undergone plastic surgery because his "old" face was now too well-known by foreign spies and terrorists for him to go undercover.

But they then decided not to refer to the change at all, and thus hopefully minimize the public attention being paid to George Lazenby's replacing Sir Sean Connery.

However, after the opening action sequence, right before the titles, Bond says directly to the camera, "This never happened to the other fellow", an intentionally comedic reference to the change in actors.

Note from me: What a dumb idea! The producers wanted to replace Sean Connery and feed us a bogus explanation for why Sean wasn't Bond anymore. Sad

How stupid can ya' get, eh? Rolling Eyes

I think they should have just told us that Lazenby was 009 and he was just as cool as 007! And then they should have made a movie good enough to prove it! Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Lazenby did make more movies after OHMSS. The following is a cut and paste from BOOKSTEVES BLOG.

For now check this out....

"Just because Sean Connery swore off Bond films after YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE in 1967 certainly didn’t mean that Cubby Broccoli and company were going to retire 007 and his license to kill (at the box office!). Almost immediately, testing began to find a new, unknown (or more or less unknown) actor to play England’s favorite secret agent in another Fleming “adaptation,” ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE.

In 1968, LIFE magazine did a big feature about the finalists, debuting Australian model George Lazenby as the final choice based largely—as producer Cubby Broccoli would later say—on how macho he came across.

What happened next has been well-documented in numerous places. Lazenby’s Bond movie and his performance in it received decidedly mixed reviews and he was reportedly convinced by his agent that spy movies would no longer be hot in the 1970s so he quit. Either that or he was dropped from his contract.

Although George claimed at first to have many offers from major studios, his next film was a low budget international production called UNIVERSAL SOLDIER in 1971. He turned up fairly often in gossip columns with stories about his being unreliable, unemployable, and even uninsurable due to some debilitating condition he had contracted.

One gossip columnist said Lazenby, “was last seen practicing yoga atop some hill in India.” At the same time, he started taking martial arts lessons and ended up in magazines like the newly released in 1973 FIGHTING STARS, meant to cash in on the martial arts movie craze hitting America.

That craze had George reportedly in contact with Bruce Lee, whose star was leading the way in the genre. Lee is said to have wanted Lazenby for his all-star GAME OF DEATH, the film he began and was hoping to finish before Hollywood came calling with ENTER THE DRAGON.

With Lee’s untimely death in July of 1973, his last unfortunately named movie was tabled, to be rewritten as an exploitative cash-in half a decade later using some of Lee’s original footage and a host of better remembered stars than Lazenby in a newly contrived plot.

At the time of Bruce’s death, however, his producer Raymond Chow was left with the completely unexpected sudden loss of his major cash-generating star and scrambled to find a replacement as well as try different types of movies using martial arts.

Which brings us to THE MAN FROM HONG KONG, a 1975 Raymond Chow co-production set mainly in Australia, of all places, and starring longtime martial arts star Jimmy Wang Yu. Known for his roles as the one-armed boxer and one-armed swordsman, Jimmy was actually in possession of all his limbs.

Despite his boyish good looks and his movie martial arts skills, he had no real personality to speak of and tended to come across as a matter-of-fact, by the book kind of guy. This served him well in this picture as he was playing an out-of-his-element Hong Kong policeman dispatched to Australia on what should have been a simple mission to return an arrestee (the great Sammo Hung, who also choreographed the picture).

It’s the Australian setting that allows for the significant presence of ex-Bond George Lazenby—a consolation prize, perhaps, from Raymond Chow.

The picture starts in the best Bond tradition with a pre-credit sequence, although it doesn’t feature either of our stars at all. Instead, Sammo Hung is on an Australian tour bus, meeting someone for an exchange of money and drugs during a remote stop. But the two men doing the exchange are spotted and bolt, only for Sammo to be captured by the authorities after a lively chase. The other man is killed.

This segues directly into the film’s excellent title sequence, to my mind one of THE best title sequences of any film of the 1970s. The producers apparently planned it that way, too, as more money was reportedly dropped on getting a hit song out of the sequence than was spent for much of the rest of the picture.

That song was “Sky High,” by the UK-based band, Jigsaw, as catchy an earworm as there ever was and a perfect theme song here. I’ll go so far as to call it the best Bond theme that never was. Over training footage of the Hong Kong police force, with Jimmy Wang Yu as Hong Kong’s Inspector Fang, we watch as a mysterious hang glider circles the cityscape in spectacular fashion only to land right in the middle of the police academy training exercise field.

Turns out to be an Australian woman journalist (although actually performed by a male stuntman) and Fang is both stern and smitten with her to the point that they’re in bed together before Fang heads off on his routine extradition jaunt to the land of Oz. Routine but for the fact that his charge is killed before he can return him to Hong Kong.

Said to have been conceived as Wang Yu’s first English language film, he was nonetheless dubbed, poorly at times, as the violent police Inspector.

Lazenby, as Sydney, Australia’s drug overlord and crime kingpin, steals the spotlight. One critic even wrote, “A crash course in martial arts and Sammo Hung’s excellent choreography transformed Lazenby into a credible performer. In THE MAN FROM HONG KONG, he moved rather better than nominal leading man Wang Yu does.

George, as “businessman” Jack Wilton, makes his first appearance more than a half an hour into the picture, sporting a stylish mustache and arriving at his private dojo with a decidedly less than impressive young woman who could never have made it as a Bond Girl. Elsewhere, Inspector Fang has just taken out one of his best men and Wilton surveys his students in action in order to find a suitable replacement. When he isn’t impressed, the cocky Wilton himself takes on three at once.

Wilton is described as a “Mr. Big,” into drugs, prostitution, gun-running, and carrying a lot of political muscle, also. The Aussie cops Fang is working with have never been able to get anything on him but Fang determines to stop him personally once and for all after Wilton has him nearly killed. Fang and his escorts go to see the big man but fail to do so. Seems he’s off in his sumptuous penthouse apartment with its sunken living room arranging a “slight accident” for the annoying Inspector Fang.

Fang contacts the only Australian he knows, the sky-riding lady journalist from the credits, and gets her to take him along as her plus one to a fancy outdoor Wilton party where the two finally do meet. Lazenby here shows not only more charm than Wang Yu but, really, more than he did as Bond, too. The pair play a little cat and mouse before Wilton goads his enemy into a kung-fu battle dance where each man holds his own, augmented by sound effects, of course. Sneak that he is, Wilton steps off to the side, leaving the fight to his stuntmen bodyguards. In the end, it’s Caroline, the journalist, who stops the fight just as Wilton had taken aim at Fang with a crossbow.

Another young woman is introduced to the plot and given a romantic subplot with Fang, complete with sappy love song and softcore sex scene, only to be killed off by a bomb attached to the vehicle she’s in with her new paramour. In movie time, they hadn’t even known each other 15 minutes, but now it was personal.

Fang goes after Wilton’s men while Wilton makes more attempts on Fang’s life as well. Finally, taking a cue from Caroline’s earlier hang-gliding—as well as the picture’s original title, THE DRAGON FLIES—the Inspector borrows the hang glider for a sail over beautiful Sydney directly onto Wilton’s roof. An epic, climactic kung-fu battle occurs after Fang kicks in through Wilton’s high-rise window, leading to not only evidence of Wilton’s evildoing but also to his explosive demise.

THE MAN FROM HONG KONG wasn’t a huge budgeted movie and it was the very first directorial effort for Brian Trenchard-Smith. None of that showed onscreen, however, as this is an exciting mix of cop drama and kung-fu flick, loaded with dangerous stunts (both Lazenby and Jimmy Wang Yu were injured during production) and action sequences. It’s a little lopsided that the villain is more personable than the hero but that actually looked good for George Lazenby’s comeback prospects.

Unfortunately, that was not to be, as George settled back into under the radar international tax dodge flicks and, later, the occasional 007 cameo homage or documentary. In time, his acting got better, and he worked fairly steadily in TV and sometimes low-budget films, but he never did recapture the momentum he had been handed on a silver platter with Bond, or that he almost seemed to grab again in 1975 with THE MAN FROM HONG KONG.

http://booksteveslibrary.blogspot.com/
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the theme to "The Man From Hong Kong". I've heard it on the radio for years, but never knew it was from a movie. It's still played on the radio, I heard it a few weeks ago. It's catchy, but I would never have guessed it was from an action movie.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to Krel: Please tell us what "radio station" you're referring to? Is it an old style FM station in your area, or is it a Sirius XM channel I can listen to with the DISH service in my living room? Very Happy

Note to Gord: My friend, your post above is a masterpiece! The jpegs you included with the text beautifully enhance your comments. I can't help wishing a few more of our members would take the time to do this. Very Happy

Anyway, thanks for educating us concerning the career of Mr. Lazenby! And I'm pleased to contribute the trailer below, which certainly tempts me to watch this action-packed movie! Cool

_______ The Man from Hong Kong (1975) Trailer

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was on a local oldies station Bud. I usually listen to music from my iPod in my vehicle, but I had forgotten it at home.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: