ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Reply with quote

From Wikipedia...

Seaview, a fictitious privately owned nuclear submarine, was the setting for the 1961 motion picture Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, starring Walter Pidgeon, and later for the 1964 — 1968 ABC television series of the same title.

Between the TV version's first and second seasons, the Seaview design was extensively revised. Per drawing penned in May 1965 by William Creber (who also designed the Flying Sub itself) the number of bow windows was reduced from eight on two levels of four each to a single row of four (actually two with a dividing girder.) This then matched the interior set with the exterior miniature. The Control Room, previously located on an upper level, was moved forward on a lower level ahead of the conning tower, to connect directly with the Observation Room, and a large hangar bay was added to the bow, beneath the Observation Room/Control Room combination. This hangar held the 36 foot wide and long, flying submersible, aptly called the "Flying Sub" or "FS-1", implying that there were several more back at the base, which would have to be the case since several Flying Subs were lost to mishaps or combat during the run of the show. It was deployed through bomb-bay like doors. As it broke the surface, its engines could generate enough thrust for the vehicle to take off and fly at supersonic speeds. The Flying Sub was also nuclear-powered.

Movie Seaview:

TV Seaview:

Ironically, screen footage of the movie version and television version Seaviews was often used during the same television episode, a discontinuity I never really noticed as a kid!

This is my build of the Moebius Models 1/350 scale TV series Seaview. The model features an LED lighting system of my own design, a photo-etch control room with very tiny crew figures, and a Flying Sub bay whose doors can be removed to reveal a tiny resin Flying Sub I purchased from an aftermarket resin caster. The Flying Sub is held in place against the roof of the hangar thru the use of a rare earth magnet mounted in the ceiling and a small metal washer glued into the top of the Flying Sub. The model was weathered to give the appearance of having been in service for several years.

In the window to the far right in this image you can just see the spiral staircase which leads to the deck above the control room. The staircase was scratch built by me using brass rod and styrene strip:

The base:

Click on the image below to watch a Seaview tribute video on YouTube:

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent build and magnificent pictures, trekriffic! And your description of the details and the work you did to make the model was . . . ummmm . . . (Let's see, what's the word I'm looked for? Hmmm . . . )

Oh yes. Magnificent!

That YouTube tribute ain't too shabby either, and I remember watching it once before. I was just as impressed the second time.

Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: