ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rocket Science, Literally - Outrageous Acts of Science

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Rocket Science, Literally - Outrageous Acts of Science Reply with quote

I've fired model rockets many times with my students, (back when I had to work for a living and had a job as a teacher Very Happy ), but this guy's rocket is WAY better than anything I've ever seen, for several reasons.

First of all, he made a two-stage rocket that goes higher than it would if the rocket tried to lift the entire mass on one load of fuel.

Which brings us to the second-of-all -- it's a fancy "bottle rocket" that uses water as fuel, instead of the usual solid fuel propellent that ignites and scares the crap out everybody standing around watching.

And third of all, it's got class, its got style, its got . . . a multi-color exhaust! The guy tinted the water red, blue, and green to get a Technicolor exhaust plum!

The way it trails those streaks of color reminds me of the promos for Space Command!

This is segment #17 at the 6:50 mark in the episode.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon May 28, 2018 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The male commentator remarks, "Maybe NASA should call up this guy and get some tips," as though multistage rockets are a new idea.

But the design of the rocket is impressive. They didn't go into how the second stage is activated. (How much info can you squeeze into a couple minutes, once you've replayed the action sequence several times?)

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of several informational YouTube videos about George Katz and his Axion G2 water-powered rockets. I hate to say it, but the rocket's construction isn't as impressive when you find out that a large part of it's structure is actually made of water bottles! Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This takes me back to the toy water rocket I had at approximately age 10.

Although much smaller than the soft drink bottles being used nowadays, it was even heavier, and the hand pump wouldn't get you anywhere near 200 psi. So the flight capabilities of these dudes was quite a bit less impressive.

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: