ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retro Red Planet
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a television like that - would it have worked as a radio as well?

It certainly gives a sharp, if slightly tilted, picture! Wink

Console TV's were state of the art entertainment centers back in the 50's. The one pictured has a TV, radio, and probably a record player (aka turntable) under the radio behind the door with the round knob in its center. You can also see the two large speakers on the bottom which would make this a "deluxe" stereo TV. This is an upright cabinet version, my parents had one that was more of a credenza similar to the one in this photo:

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those consoles must have been top-level luxury tech in their day. Handy to fit in a radio and a turntable, as maybe in the early days the television screen wouldn't have been, solo, as big as the box it required, with all those valves and so on.

I'm not sure that they were around much over on this side of the Atlantic in Merrie Olde England. Like the cars, our TVs were probably, generally, a bit more compact than the Stateside version...

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran across this thread over on the Resin Illuminati forum. It's a work-in-progress thread I posted some years ago showing construction of the MARRV (from a booklight and a snap-together model airplane kit) and Solar Flare models as well as the pilots. Also some behind the scenes stuff on the diorama itself. Check it out...

http://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=2595&highlight=martian+diorama&page=2
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just shows how much work and invention goes into such dioramas. I see that the thread includes the same Chesley Bonestell cover for Astounding Science Fiction that I recently posted elsewhere, in connection with the movie The Conquest of Space... it's a small world, er, solar system! Smile
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely work!

It really shows the design genius that went into the Disney Mars Rocket~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: