ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One lost girl (on the sign "Airport" should read "Spaceport" and "Nome" should read "Home"):

Alta's ugly Christmas Sweater:

Alta's Christmas dress:

Alta's Spring sweater:

I think we all agree with Charlie Brown:

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What A Doll!

Question: Why Was This Forbidden Fruit of Forbidden Planet Forbidden?

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
One lost girl (on the sign "Airport" should read "Spaceport" and "Nome" should read "Home"):

Your wish is my command, Miss Eadie! Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless my soul, Gord, I didn't know there was one ramp that was just a landing leg! Thanks! Very Happy

Gord Green wrote:
Your "hatch and hoist" concept is quite a logical extrapolation even though it doesn't show on any plans or blueprints of the ship in the saucer section.

I'm sure you understood that I was just suggesting what a great addition to the C-57-D the "freight elevator" would be — not that I thought it really had that feature but we weren't aware of it. Smile

Coming up with imaginative speculations like that are what keeps me youthful, healthy, and grinning from ear to ear while looking so damn sexy for my age! Cool

Krel wrote:
I haven't watched the movie for a few years (I know, disgraceful), so I don't remember how many they showed using the second gangplank. But I'm pretty sure they showed more than two crew using it after they first landed.

David, please understand that I've watched Forbidden Planet many times since first seeing it in 1956 — in fact, a few times in the last six month!

For that reason, I'm absolutely sure that the only time anybody is shown on the non-stairway ramp is this scene.

Just to be sure, I scanned through the DVD today so I wouldn't be embarrassed if I was wrong.

David, if you (or anybody else) can find a scene showing crewmen on that ramp, I'll gladly send you a Forbidden Planet Blu-ray (just to teach myself not to act like such a damn know-it-all Embarassed).

However, I can't resist pointing out that your statement below argues against your assertion that there were two stairways.

Krel wrote:
It makes no sense for MGM to go to the expense of building a conveyor belt into the set if they couldn't show it. And they couldn't because of how the set was built.

Your right, of course! On that we agree. Very Happy

But according to your own logic, there was also no point in building a second stairway that would never be shown, when a simple (less expensive) incline would suffice for that one brief scene in which two crewmen are shown using it! Laughing

So, I'll stick to my original assertion that the ramp to the left of the stairway was just an incline they put there in place of the conveyor belt shown on the miniature, and two crewmen came down it after the ship landed, just to give the scene a little more movement when the crew disembarked.

And now, folks, here's a new challenge for the members of All Sci-Fi. Cool

In August, 2014 ASF member Robert (Butch) Day (Miss Eadie's beloved Godfather Very Happy) presented the greatest challenge to Forbidden Planet fans we've ever seen! Shocked

Butch found something absolutely amazing in the movie which none of us had noticed . . . in 60+ years. Shocked

Today I located Butch's duplicate post which revealed his discovery on the Classic Horror Film Board, and I've pasted it below!

(Several of Butch's images are washed out, but I didn't bother to fix them.)

Look at this picture from just after they landed:

Notice the area behind the pedestal:

Now look at the same shot from after Robby first arrives:

And the same area in close-up:

What in the name of Ghu happened?

Over at All Sci-Fi one of the responses was that it was the main reactor.

Au Contrair, Mon Frere! [Bad French]

Nowhere else in the film is there a cover for the main reactor, nor was one needed. Besides look at these. The area in question:

But look here; where are the openings?

And from these shots it is clear that no cover is necessary.

To me, this (more than anything) shows that Forbidden Planet is an unfinished movie. Why? Because M-G-M usually didn't make such glaring errors!

Fellow members, it took the members of the old All Sci-Fi two weeks to finally figure what that strange gray partition was hiding in those few brief shots!

If you're a member of the CHFB, you can go there and read my post which revealed the solution to the mystery. But if you do, please don't give away the answer here on All Sci-Fi! Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago (before AD August 17, 2000 when I was born) Butch and Pye-Rate Used a program called Generic CADD 2.05b to make detailed plans of the C-57-D that comprised what butch knew of what was needed on a spacecraft from letters to NASA and what Pye-Rate learned from working at Boeing before he joined the US Navy and from experience in the US Navy. It was 185 sheets and covered every aspect of the ship imaginable.

It ignored Shane Johnson's plans (which are what are found on the web). But included a hatch similar to that which Bud postulated. The biggest difference was the way that Mr. Johnson showed the ship's blasters. A total waste of valuable space.

I wish that I could get his old Mac G-3 computer going and take pictures to post (like what was done to the House-Tunnel-Lab relationship study):

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUD WROTE:
Quote:
Bless my soul, Gord, I didn't know there was one ramp that was just a landing leg! Thanks !

I say that Bud because that's what the prop saucers show. One leg has stairs and railings, one has what looks like a conveyor (or could just be an unfinished space or ramp) and the third leg is just a solid piece with no features on the surface.
Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Are you guys STILL debating ramps and hatches? Smile

I found this Set Still photograph long ago and tucked it away. It’s an odd ball shot of the cast during a break. However, what is interesting are the hydraulic stabilizers protruding from the C-57-D. There’s not one, second or third ramp in site.

I also, have this CAD drawing of the C-57-D circa 2005 if it somehow helps solve our endless fun with the ramps. Smile

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, that last picture (in the original full size) shows TWO legs with railings, unlike any other schematics . I don't think it has much validity, but is a good extrapolation .
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Tarmac wrote:

I found this Set Still photograph long ago and tucked it away. It’s an odd ball shot of the cast during a break. However, what is interesting are the hydraulic stabilizers protruding from the C-57-D. There’s not one, second or third ramp in site.

That's a production still from the Twilight Zone episode "On Thursday We Leave For Home." (Notice the hats.)

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Ha! That explains everything. I saw the C-57-D logo on one of the billed caps and just thought it was a part of the FP movie set stills. Thanks Scot!
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were no plans that I could find of the Galaxy-6 from Twilight Zone's On Thursday We leave For Home, nor for the other ship the E-89 from Death Ship. However This Mexican studio:

Released Two films, Gigantes Planetarios (July 29, 1966) and El Planta De Las Invasoras (November 18, 1966):

Here is the ship used in both movies:

See the resemblance? It was done deliberately to invoke the C-57-D! The base from which they came ( Both night & day shots):

Could that be the "launch cradle" mentioned in the novelization? The Saucer Fleet by Jon C. Rogers:

Jon C. Rogers' plans:

Shane Johnson's interior profile showing the wasted space of the blasters:

The C-57-D from DeviantArt:

I hope this helps — Eadie.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fan created other United Planet Federation ships drawing that I found:

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Tarmac wrote:
Lol, good find Gord! However, no it is not the lizard looking head of on the right side of the mural’s nebula.

Hint, it is though, on this page of the forum. Smile

The only unmodified image of the study on the page of the thread you said had the Easter Egg is this one.

So, is the "Easter Egg" the way the lamp blends with the mural?

Now, here's a follow up on my challenge to explain the strange gray panel that was erected beneath the C-57-D in one-and-only-one scene in the entire movie.

Here's the image from Butch's CHFB post again, just as a reminder.

But wait! The second image is different! Is one of these images a fake . . . and if so, which one?

And if the panel under the ship is real . . . what is it hiding? Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demand the truth! Call my bluff! See if the panel is really there in this YouTube video of the same scene!

(Or just look at the YouTube thumbnail. Yep . . . there it is.) Laughing

So, where the hell did that second image above come from? Wink

_______Forbidden Planet- Meet Robby The Robot

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Bob Tarmac wrote:
Lol, good find Gord! However, no it is not the lizard looking head of on the right side of the mural’s nebula.

Hint, it is though, on this page of the forum. Smile

The only unmodified image of the study on the page of the thread you said had the Easter Egg is this one.

So, is the "Easter Egg" the way the lamp blends with the mural?

BINGO !!! BUD WINS !!!

Next question: Why was it put there and WHAT does it mean?

Last edited by Bob Tarmac on Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 122 of 143

Jump to: