ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I like 'em. You don't. Give me an argument.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: I like 'em. You don't. Give me an argument. Reply with quote

Friends and neighbors, I've got a chip on my shoulder and here's your chance to knock it off.

I'm gonna stick my neck waaay out and proudly proclaim my fondnesses for several less-than-popular movies.

If you hate 'em, I want to hear why. In detail. Don't pull your punches.

All I ask is that you focus your attack on the movies -- not on me. But feel free to give the movies pure hell. Nobody will be surprised that you don't like them -- they'll be as surprised that I do.

Evolution (2001) - One of my favorite movies. The story is good, the humor is effective, the FX are terrific, and I love the cast -- except for Julianne Moore. Good actor, but not very pretty.

The Matrix Reloaded (2003) - Didn't like this one when I first saw it, but recently I watched it again and changed my mind completely.

The Matrix Revolution (2003) - Same as above. Didn't like it at first, watched it again later , decided I was dead wrong. Go figure, eh?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
noetic_hatter
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I like 'em. You don't. Give me an argument. Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Evolution (2001) - One of my favorite movies. The story is good, the humor is effective, the FX are terrific, and I love the cast -- except for Julianne Moore. Good actor, but not very pretty.

No question, this movie is terrifically entertaining. Everybody's having a great time making a parody of classic 50's SF while also kind of playing it straight. It was also an opportunity for Duchov to spread out and do something besides Mulder.

I know you said not to fight you personally, but c'mon! Julianne Moore not pretty?
Evil or Very Mad
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, noetic_hatter, you got on my good side with your very first post! And a quick scan of your other posts (which I'll read more completely after posting this) indicates that we're very honored to have you as our newest member.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
noetic_hatter
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Wow, noetic_hatter, you got on my good side with your very first post! And a quick scan of your other posts (which I'll read more completely after posting this) indicates that we're very honored to have you as our newest member.

Aww, shucks. I weren't trying to kiss up, or nuthin. I genuinely like this film. Very Happy
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I like 'em. You don't. Give me an argument. Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I'm gonna stick my neck waaay out and proudly proclaim my fondnesses for several less-than-popular movies.

Okay, I'm calling a foul here. (Or, in view of Thanksgiving tomorrow, a "fowl".) Where do you come by the claim that the three movies you listed are "less-than-popular", Bud? I checked their ratings on Netflix and found the following (based on five possible stars):

Evolution, Average of 1,152,396 ratings: 3.3 stars

Matrix Reloaded, Average of 11,340,450 ratings: 3.7 stars

Matrix Revolutions, Average of 5,157,074 ratings: 3.7 stars

All of them are rated over 3 stars (i.e., some fraction of 4 stars), none of them based on fewer than a million ratings. I think what you're referring to as "less-than-popular" are more like "movies-I-didn't-care-for-on-my-first-viewing-but-subsequently-enjoyed-except-for-Julianne-Moore".

WayneO
-----------
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution is mind candy for the nerd set. Of course I like it!

Matrix trilogy is the DVD equivalent of Windows 2000.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I like 'em. You don't. Give me an argument. Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
I think what you're referring to as "less-than-popular" are more like "movies-I-didn't-care-for-on-my-first-viewing-but-subsequently-enjoyed-except-for-Julianne-Moore".

Actually, Wayne, the three movies were chosen because I have several friends who think I'm crazy for liking them. So my question wasn't really based on poll numbers, it was based on personal experience.

Note that in my opening remarks in the post above I said, "If you hate 'em, I want to hear why. In detail. Don't pull your punches."

And even though it took more than one viewing to warm up to the two Matrix sequels, I adored Evolution the moment I saw it.

As for not being impressed by Julianne Moore . . . I've seen starved chickens with more meat on their bones! You've seen my artwork, Wayne, you know what kind of gals I go goofy over, and Julianna just doesn't fit the bill.

I mean, just look at her! Rednecks could widdle on twigs with that nose! Shocked

And even though IMDB says, "The clumsiness in Julianne Moore's character was her idea," I submit that Miss Moore might be a fine dramatic actor, but she ain't no Lucille Ball when it comes to comedy. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't give an argument for Evolution, I happen to like it too. Yeah, it's a bit silly in places, but overall it's a nice homage to 50s B movies.

As for the others.... Sorry, no.

I've never been a fan of the Matrix movies. They're just too bizarre and CGI-heavy. Besides that, it has Keanu in it. No, just no.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I like them all!

Heck, I even like Jullianne Moore !

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . . . perhaps I was too hasty. Cool

Andrew Kidd
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest of Space: Is a very Heinleinesque vision of the future.

Wild Wild Planet: Fun, fun flick.

The Giant Claw: What's not to love? Oddly enough, some of the physics patter in this film is accurate (although outdated).

Until The End of the World: Sure, it's long, but some films require patience. And it has one of the best soundtracks for a science fiction film ever.

And the only thing I have against Julianne Moore is that she's taking all the parts meant for Annette O'Toole.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Kidd wrote:
And the only thing I have against Julianne Moore is that she's taking all the parts meant for Annette O'Toole.

After seeing the above picture, the only thing I have against Julianne Moore is . . . me, in my fantasies! Shocked
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few more movies I'm crazy about, even though some folks think a person would have to be crazy to like this box office disappointments. These five films can be found in honored places in my DVD racks so that the right mood comes upon me I can grab the perfect movie for the occasion.

Bulldogtrekker and I have been watching movies in what we call synchro-cinemas for the last six years, chatting on Facebook while we run our individual DVDs or downloads in our respective homes states (NC and SC), and we've had ball sharing hundreds of movies and TV series.

One aspect of this activity we've never quite agreed on, however, is my deep fondness for the pleasure of anticipation. Even though I definitely love to seize the moment and reach for just the right movie that strikes my fancy, I also like to schedule a synchro-cinema several days in advance and treat myself to the thrill of anticipation! Very Happy

Bulldogtrekker has never quite shared that quirk of mine. But because he's a good friend he occasionally humored me by agreeing to schedule two or three features on a given weekend, well in advance.

That was actually the most enjoyable aspect of the Friday Live Chats All Sci-Fi promoted for about a year. We had a whole week to look forward to each feature, and by the time Friday rolled around I was just itchin' to watch the chosen feature for that night — even when I'd seen the movies many times before over the last few decades!

With that in mind, here are five cinematic favorites of mine I'd really enjoy watching — even though I've seen them all several times. But I could ramp up my enthusiasm for them even more if I was looking forward to watching them in the near future with several members of All Sci-Fi in our chat room.

I, Robot ~ The fans of Isaac Asimov didn't like this one because it was so different from the aging and understandably dated series of short stories which inspired it. I read those short stories when I was devoted Monster Kid in the 1950s, but I don't remember much about them.

However, the movie does a masterful job of taking these cutting edge concepts which impressed us half-a-century ago and dragging them kicking-and-screaming into the 21st Century. I mean, come on folks, OF COURSE the story is different! It was made for an audience who owned technology that Asimov only dreamed of!

The movie honored Asimov by showing just how far science fiction had come, not to mention how far technology had advanced.

This movie is awesome. It's critics just didn't get it. Sad

The A-Team ~ Is this science fiction?

Well, not really . . . but ya gotta love a movie which presents an awesome team of heroes who pit their brains against the brawn of the bad guys and win the day by making a complex plan that makes a Swiss watch look like Lego set for kindergartners!

And you just haven't lived until you've seen the team escape from a military aircraft which explodes in midair by getting inside a massive tank in the cargo hold and ride it down on the parachutes it's equipped with for a combat drop — while using the main cannon as a "rocket" to movie the falling tank horizontally so that it falls into a lake in the valley below!

The basic science that supports this concept was first invented by Sir Issac Newton, so I submit that this movie has valid claim on science FACT, even if you don't accept that it qualifies as science fiction. But since nobody as ever shoved a falling tank sideways by firing it's main weapon parallel with the ground, I guess this one is science fiction until somebody proves it isn't just science fact!

John Carter ~ Sci-Fi fandom waited for decades to see a big-budget, hi-tech, action-packed movie based on the fabulous novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs novels about the amazing adventures on Barsoom.

Disney ponyed up millions of dollars to give us exactly what we want . . . and the movie-going public broke their hearts by turning project into one of Hollywood's most infamous box office disasters!

Stealth ~ I really don't understand when this one wasn't a smash hit. Shocked

A super hi-tech fighter jet is piloted by an advanced artificial intelligence which makes its three human colleges (also piloting advanced fighter jets) nervous because they're worried the A.I. might out perform them in combat!

And their right! But the A.I. pilot of the fighter jet lacks the human factor which prevents it from making combat designs which cause serious international conflicts.

What makes this movie great is the way the the A.I. jet fighters becomes increasingly intelligent and "human" until the emotional climax in which . . .

Well, I don't want to spoil this one, but I will say that I wishI had written the script for this movie. Very Happy

The Monster Squad ~ Well, you got me . . . this is NOT science fiction. But if you're a Monster Kid at heart, this one is the "dream come true" you yearned forduring all those years when you watched the "Late Show" on Friday nights and wished that your friends could form a club, build a great tree house, and save the world from a team of classic monsters who united to destroy mankind!

This movie didn't get the love it deserved when it was first released, probably because so few people understood the remarkable "kid's fantasy" it presented.

I'd love to watch this movie with the members of All Sci-Fi who appreciate the unique experience it provided for the devoted fans of his beloved genre!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few more movies I'm crazy about, even though some folks think a person would have to be crazy to like these box office disappointments. These five films can be found in honored places in my DVD racks so that when the right mood comes upon me I can grab the perfect movie for the occasion.

Bulldogtrekker and I have been watching movies together in what we call synchro-cinemas for the last six years, chatting on Facebook while we run our individual DVDs or downloads in our respective homes states (NC and SC), and we've had ball sharing hundreds of movies and TV series.

However, one aspect of this activity we've never quite agreed on is my deep fondness for the pleasure of anticipation. Even though I definitely love to seize the moment and reach for just the right movie that strikes my fancy, I also like to schedule a synchro-cinema with BDT several days in advance and treat myself to the thrill of anticipation! Very Happy

Bulldogtrekker has never quite shared my fondness for this. And yet because he's a good friend, he has occasionally humored me by agreeing to schedule two or three features well in advance, on a given weekend.

That is actually the most enjoyable aspect of the Friday Live Chats All Sci-Fi promoted a few years ago. We had a whole week to look forward to each feature, and by the time Friday rolled around I was just itchin' to watch the chosen feature for each Friday night — even when I'd seen the movies many times before over the last few decades!

With that in mind, here are five cinematic favorites of mine I'd really enjoy watching — even though I've seen them all several times. But I could easily ramp up my enthusiasm for them if I was looking forward to watching them in the near future with several members of All Sci-Fi in our chat room! Cool

I, Robot ~ The fans of Isaac Asimov didn't like this one because it was so different from the aging and understandably dated series of short stories which inspired it. I read those short stories when I was a devoted Monster Kid in the 1950s . . . but frankly I don't remember much about them.

However, the movie does a masterful job of taking these cutting-edge concepts which impressed us half-a-century ago and dragging them kicking-and-screaming into the 21st Century.

Come on folks, OF COURSE the story is different! This movie was made for an audience who owned technology that Asimov only dreamed of! Shocked

The movie clearly honored Asimov by showing just how far science fiction had come, not to mention how far the technology he predicted had advanced.

This movie is awesome. It's critics just didn't get it. Sad

The A-Team ~ Is this science fiction?

Well, not really . . . but ya gotta love a movie which presents an awesome team of heroes who pit their brains against the brawn of the bad guys and win the day by making a complex plan which makes a Swiss watch look like a Lego set for kindergartners!

And you just haven't lived until you've seen the team escape from a military aircraft which explodes in midair — and they do it by getting inside a massive tank in the cargo hold so they can ride it down on the parachutes it's equipped with for a combat drop — while using the main cannon as a "rocket" to move the falling tank horizontally so that it falls into a lake in the valley below!

The basic science that supports this concept was first invented by Sir Issac Newton, so I submit that this movie has valid claim on science FACT, even if you don't accept the idea that it qualifies as science fiction. But since nobody has ever shoved a falling tank sideways by firing it's main weapon parallel to the ground, I guess this one is science fiction until somebody proves it isn't!

John Carter ~ Sci-Fi fandom waited for decades to see a big-budget, hi-tech, action-packed movie based on the fabulous novels of Edgar Rice Burrough's novels about the amazing adventures on Barsoom.

Disney ponied up millions of dollars to give us exactly what we wanted . . . but the movie-going public broke their hearts by turning this project into one of Hollywood's most infamous box office disasters!

Those of us who know better love this unappreciated masterpiece.

Stealth ~ I really don't understand why this one wasn't a smash hit. Shocked

A super hi-tech fighter jet is piloted by an advanced artificial intelligence which makes its three human colleges (also piloting advanced fighter jets) nervous because they're worried the A.I. might out-perform them in combat!

And by gum, they're right!

But the A.I. pilot of the fighter jet lacks the human factor which prevents it from making combat decisions which cause serious international conflicts.

What makes this movie enjoyable is the way the the A.I. jet fighter becomes increasingly intelligent and "humane" until the emotional climax, in which . . .

Wait, I don't want to spoil this one, as I'll just say that I wish I had written the script for this movie. Very Happy

The Monster Squad ~ Well, you got me . . . this is NOT science fiction.

But if you're a Monster Kid at heart, this one is the "dream come true" you yearned for during all those years when you watched the Late Show on Friday nights and wished that your friends could form a club, build a great tree house, and save the world from a team of classic monsters who united to destroy mankind!

This movie did not get the love it deserved when it was first released, probably because so few people understood the remarkable "kid's fantasy" it presented.

I'd love to watch this movie with the members of All Sci-Fi who appreciate the unique experience it provided for the devoted fans of this beloved genre!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,Robot~Not a fan.

Oh sure,it's visually stunning but little else. Robots---yawn---rebel against their creators. Talk about going down a cliched, done a million times tale.

Famed & brilliant writer Harlan Ellison wrote a movie script adaptation from the Azimov's novel for I,Robot. NOW that would have been one hell of a sci~fi movie I'd love to have seen.

Let's see, a major movie studio has to decide to do an intelligent & thoughtful script by one of our foremost writers on a classic novel by one of the legends of science-fiction.

Or, do they go with star power casting, a plethora of special/visual effects, non-stop action all supporting a so-so script?

Let's just say that the studios rarely surprise me on which direction they'll go between producing a thoughtful film verses their usual mindless FX & action extravaganzas.

The A-Team. Loved the TV show, disliked the movie.

Hannibal was the military strategist of the team. Yet, we see Face really take the reigns for the fireworks of a film finale.

Why? Bradley Cooper(Tempelton Peck)was the studios rising star. He needed to be promoted front & center.

So good ole Hannibal gets pushed to the background.

Phooey, not honoring the TV show.

The actor portraying Howling Mad Dog Murdock just did not capture the fun, craziness, energy of Dwight Schultz from the television series.

The final scene with all those shipping trailers was waay over the top for me. There are times where film makers decide that bigger is better. But that's not always the case.

Believe it or not, less is more can tell a story with more punch & fun.
Inundating an audience with a constant stream of non-stop gigantic FX & stunts & explosions actually becomes trite & boring.

That's what The A-Team movie was for me.

The Monster Squad~Loved it.

Always cool to see classic movie monsters unite in one film.

I was surprised that this fun movie never resulted in some sequels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: