ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Published Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold Reply with quote

So...

I just finished reading The Man Who Folded Himself and, although it's sort of derivative of Heinlein's -All You Zombies-, I found it quite well done.

However, what really struck me is the Cosmically-Mind-Blowing-Life-Imitating-Art-Rewriting-the-Past aspect of my recent reading experience. You see, in Gerrold's tale, the main character is able to erase his past and write over it. Lo and behold, although originally composed in 1973, Gerrold himself updated TMWFH to include references to 9/11 and other more recent events...thus, in a manner of speaking, essentially rewriting HIS past.

Normally, I'd prefer NOT to read these kind of revisions but ~ me being me ~ I was totally amused this go 'round.

Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about this for years before I finally had a chance to read it. For about half its length I enjoyed it immensely, then it just got a bit much for me and...well, I did finish it, but I found the latter portion a bit of a chore.

Now...I have a friend who is totally into time travel novels and movies and tv. Over the years I've directed her to a bunch of things I thought she'd like. But, since she's really more into the fantasy / romance / light s-f sort of time travel stories, I never mentioned THE MAN WHO FOLDED HIMSELF, figuring it wasn't really her thing. But then she asked for more ideas and I had nothing new to tell her about so I mentioned Gerrold's novel. She screamed, "Oh, I read that already. I LOVED IT! It might be my all time favorite!"

Huh...sometimes you just can't figure it.

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I LOVED IT! It might be my all time favorite!"

All time favourite - we see what you did there... Wink

That's a scan of the cover of my copy - "First time in paperback" I see. Back in the seventies, 160 pages was still considered a decent length for a novel. Let's see what the back cover has to say:

Quote:
When you begin this adventure get ready to go through a lot of weird changes

Like to take a trip through time? It would be a great kick, not to mention the loot to be made when you returned. That's what Don thought when he inherited the timebelt from his uncle. What happened - to human history and personal identity, to sex and to sanity - was something else, and more than enough to make this our nomination for the most spellbinding, mind-jolting science fiction novel of the year. As noted S-F author Barry Malzberg writes, "Staggering and terrifying, the most stunning I've ever read in the field... bound to be influential... I read it through in one night and it knocked me out."

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: California-based DAVID GERROLD is one of the brightest stars of the new S-F generation. Runner-up for the Nebula Award and twice runner-up for the Hugo Award, he has achieved his greatest triumph yet with THE MAN WHO FOLDED HIMSELF.

The book's dedication is "This book is for Larry Niven, a good friend who believes that time travel is impossible. He's probably right." Smile
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking this is one I read also. Is this the one where he takes a Corvette with him back to the '50s in one of his jumps?

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen much recently from Mr. Gerrold, but I've always enjoyed his work. One of the best series he wrote was the "War with the Chtorr" and YESTERDAYS CHILDREN (STAR WOLF).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Published Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: