ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Endangered Species (1982)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Endangered Species (1982) Reply with quote

Anyone who was old enough to pay attention to the news in the early 80's will remember the actual news reports from Colorado and other western U.S. states of cattle being found dead on the prairies that had their organs removed with surgical precision. Speculation ran rampant, with the blame falling on Satanic cults, extraterrestrials, or even conspirators aboard those mysterious "black" helicopters that were often seen back then.

It takes a local sheriff and a troubled cop to discover the stunning truth in this movie. which is based on real life events.

Trailer:
Endangered Species

(if you can't find this movie due to it's age, I have a few DVD copies)

Last edited by Randy on Sun May 01, 2016 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this at the show, and liked it very much. One thing I liked was that, when discussing who is responsible for the trouble, both characters immediately discounted it as being a government operation. They pointed out that Uncle Sam has many isolated facilities where the operation could be carried out without anyone finding out.

Unfortunately, the movie is only available on DVD-R.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the picture on the Youtube version is pretty good. This is screen shot I made from my download.

UPDATE - March 4th, 2018: The version of the movie from which I made the screenshot above has been removed from YouTube, so I replaced the URL in the post below with a new one which works. The picture is not quite as good, but still quite watchable. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, silly me — I forgot to post the link to the Youtube version I mentioned above. Better get it soon, folks. These things tend to vanish when you least expect it. Sad

By the way, I discovered that the video below is mislabeled as the "trailer", but it's actually the full movie! Shocked

Unfortunately, the picture quality is not great, and the audio only plays from the left speaker! Also, the video is 2 hours and 26 minutes lomg, but the running time of the movie is just 1 hour 37 minutes.

The YouTube has complete movie, but after the closing credits roll, it has a repeated section of the movie which you just ignore.

Obvious this was just caused by sloppy work on the part of the person who uploaded the video. Rolling Eyes

__________________________________ /size]

][size=24]Endangered Species (1982) Movie Trailer - Robert Urich, JoBeth Williams, Paul Dooley & Pet

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_______ Endangered Species (1982) Movie Trailer

Of all the films here, this one may be the least sci-fi, being more of a conspiracy thriller.

But it implies in the early going that it includes some well-known sci-fi tropes about possible alien forces conducting experiments in a rural area — the now infamous cattle mutilation mysteries. There were a few other films at about the same time revolving around this premise, such as The Return (1980), and this alien threat or presence was popularized by Spielberg's Close Encounters (77).

However, for this one the only real sci-fi element is the extremes that a shadowy military agency might resort to. Robert Urich, then a TV star, comes on tough as a NYC cop who finds himself in a very different locale and deals with an escalating mystery. JoBeth Williams is the local sheriff who clashes with Urich and his attitude, but soon has other problems. Paul Dooley is the local newspaper man. Hoyt Axton plays the local bigwig who is involved in the conspiracy. And Peter Coyote (also in a similar role in that year's E.T.) is the shadowy military guy.

BoG's Score: 7 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB's synopsis of this movie is very well written, and it makes me want to watch it!

Anyway, here's how IMDB describes it.

Thriller about a New York ex-cop and an attractive female sheriff who fall in love while investigating a string of mysterious cattle mutilations in a small Colorado town.

Urich is great as Reuben Castle, the retired alcoholic police lieutenant out visiting the town with his tomboy daughter. At first he tries to stay out of the case. but finds himself involved after the mysterious death of his friend Joe Hiatt, the editor of the local paper whose theories about black helicopters have aroused the ire of cattle baron Ben Morgan.

Trying miserably to stay sober, Castle finds himself back in danger and in love, as he and the sheriff work together to get to the bottom of the mystery, encountering incredible danger and resistance from the frightened locals.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: