ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barely getting off the ground — the story of the RoadAir
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Barely getting off the ground — the story of the RoadAir Reply with quote

Barely getting off the ground — the story of the RoadAir

Like many dreamers, Herbert Trautman did his best to make that dream a reality, and he got further than most. An aviation enthusiast, inventor and employee of Douglas Aircraft, Herb was the originator of a design patent on a "Combination Automobile and Airplane" (U.S. Design Patent No. D177445, issued 1956).

Unlike many flying car concepts over the years, Trautman's design didn't share much in common with a conventional airplane or with a conventional automobile. With a design that could perhaps be called a partial "flying wing", his inspiration may have come from the XB-35 experimental flying-wing bomber, which also featured a "pusher" propeller arrangement.

Of course, a full "flying wing" design would be far too wide for automotive applications, so Trautman cleverly packaged the wings such that they could be folded away for storage while driving, and folded out when it was time to fly.

Amazingly, Trautman not only received a design patent, but by 1959, actually built a full-scale, 25-foot wingspan prototype, which he called the "RoadAir". The RoadAir differed from the initial patent drawings in a few ways. A fourth wheel was added in front, presumably for extra stability when driving. The V-type stabilizers were replaced by a more conventional pair of uprights, joined by a horizontal stabilizer. Power came from a flat-four air-cooled Continental O-190 engine, putting out 85 horsepower, which drove both the propeller and the rear single wheel. Pedals in the cockpit controlled not only the rudders when airborne, but also the pair of wheels under the passenger compartment when driving. Herb hoped to sell the RoadAir for $10,000.

Unfortunately, the RoadAir was a bit heavy at approximately 1,000 pounds, and perhaps the diminutive fold-away wings didn't create quite enough lift. As the story goes, one day Trautman lifted the front-opening hatch and stepped into his creation for some tests on a California runway. After getting comfortable with the vehicle, he got it up to a speed of about 90 miles per hour and, as the poem goes, "slipped the surly bonds of earth". Then he got wise. Apparently, Trautman had got about three feet off the ground, but felt himself losing control. He put the RoadAir down safely and immediately put it into storage, and the prototype vehicle never flew again.

As incredible as that story is, more amazing is that the RoadAir survives to this day. In the 1980s, the RoadAir was on display at Orange County Airport, on loan to the Tallmantz Collection, an aviation museum founded by two Hollywood stunt pilots. When the Tallmantz Collection was purchased by noted aerobatics pilot and collector Kermit Weeks in 1985, an elderly Mr. Trautman decided to sell his project for an undisclosed sum. It was later restored, and is now both roadworthy and probably about as airworthy as it ever was. Until recently, the RoadAir was displayed in the Fantasy of Flight museum in Florida, but will soon be coming home to California to be exhibited at the Museum of Flying in Santa Monica. -

Link to full story:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/02/13/wheel-stories-from-the-patent-files-barely-getting-off-the-ground-the-story-of-the-roadair/?refer=news

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta admit, she's a beauty!

* Why does the propeller look like it would hit the vertical stabilizer on the right side?
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Why does the propeller look like it would hit the vertical stabilizer on the right side? Shocked

I suspect that it has to do with the leading edge of the vertical stabilizers being angled. It's not apparent in that view, so the mind assumes they're horizontal and plays tricks with perspective.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
Why does the propeller look like it would hit the vertical stabilizer on the right side? Shocked

I suspect that it has to do with the leading edge of the vertical stabilizers being angled. It's not apparent in that view, so the mind assumes they're horizontal and plays tricks with perspective.

Ummm . . . that can't be it. It's very obvious that the vertical stabilizers are steeply slanted -- even more so than the picture above makes them appear. And in the picture below we can clearly see that the propeller has plenty of clearance between it and both stabilizers.

A second riddle is: why does the panel directly under the propeller in the picture below seem to be too close to the propeller? The drawing of this aircraft show that panel as curved, giving the propeller room to turn.

This panel seems to be flat and too close to the propeller in the center.

And there's a shadow almost directly under the propeller in the picture below which make it look as if it's located right above the stabilizer!

Don't get me wrong, I can't think of any way for the propeller to be longer on the right, or for the right stabilizer to be closer to the middle than the one on the left -- but the whole thing sure looks odd!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
orzel-w wrote:

Ummm . . . that can't be it. It's very obvious that the vertical stabilizers are steeply slanted -- even more so than the picture above makes them appear.

Compare the two underlined statements.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
orzel-w wrote:

Ummm . . . that can't be it. It's very obvious that the vertical stabilizers are steeply slanted -- even more so than the picture above makes them appear.

Compare the two underlined statements.

Oh, I get it. Your saying they're so slanted they almost look flat. Silly me, I had it backwards.

I still can't figure out why it looks like the propeller extends out past the stabilizer on the right when it doesn't on the left.

Obviously it's caused by the angle we're seeing the craft from, but it ought to look like the doctored photo below on the left, not the real one on the right.

Makes a big difference, doesn't it? Looks a lot more like you'd expect it to, with a reasonable amount of clearance on both sides.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Oh, I get it. Your saying they're so slanted they almost look flat.

No, I'm saying that from the angle at which we're viewing the craft in that photo, it's difficult to tell that front edges of the fins are slanted. If our eyes/brain assume the front edges are horizontal, it throws off where we expect to see the propeller overlap the fin. Plus, that shadow from the propeller you mentioned, being cast from an unknown light source which is probably a different source than for the front of the craft, probably adds to the illusion.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
Oh, I get it. Your saying they're so slanted they almost look flat.

No, I'm saying that from the angle at which we're viewing the craft in that photo, it's difficult to tell that front edges of the fins are slanted.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. Except that it's not difficult at all. Not for me, anyway. My eyes do not assume that front edges of the fins are horizontal. They're obvious slanted.

Chalk it up to my years as an artist (not to mention teaching geometry for 18 years), these two lines don't look remotely parallel, and they would be if the fins were horizontal, since the floor below them certainly is. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's just go with the lopsided propeller, then. Rolling Eyes

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware that the photo just makes is look like propeller is longer on the right, I just don't think either of us has figured out why yet. It's quite an intriguing optical illusion, even better that these -- because it's not created by any artist!

I couldn't figure out what the optical illusion was in the bottom-right picture, so I read about it on the website. The lighter on the right is a picture on the paper -- not a real one like the one on the left.

But I still like the Mystery of the Asymmetrical Propeller the best. It defies logical analysis.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something else that your latest diagrams suggest. The point where the starboard fin meets the fuselage is visible. But the point where the port fin meets the fuselage is hidden by the bulge of the fuselage, although this is not initially obvious. Our eyes want to make the fins symmetrical, so it comes out throwing off our perspective.

I think maybe also the underside of the fuselage─or rather the dividing line between the red and the dark blue─is not parallel to the floor. The nose seems to be sitting higher than the tail. This may add another source of optical confusion into perceiving how angled the fronts of the fins are in that view that's causing the illusion.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm disappointed. Turns out its no optical illusion at all. The picture shot from the front just didn't indicate how far forward the propeller was in relation to the stabilizers. The part of that stabilizer that seems to be under the propeller is well behind it.

I should have realized this from the photo that looks down on it, but it just didn't click for some reason -- for any of us apparently, because Wayne could have said, "Bud, look at the other picture. The propeller is almost in front of the stabilizers."

That would have settled the matter quicker than teasing me with suggestions that the mind thinks it sees horizontal leading edges that aren't horizontal, etc. etc. etc. Very Happy

Note to Wayne: I'm actually glad you didn't set me straight the quick and easy way. I enjoy puzzles, even when they turn out not to be real -- like that cyclorama I was so damn sure existed.

But I did have fun cleaning up that picture which started this fun discussion. The enlarged crops below show lots of blemishes in the fuselage. When I zoomed in on them they actually looked like the results I got with MS Paint when I created the illustrations for The Wishbone Express -- so much so in fact that for a while I was convinced the whole picture was a heavily modified photo, and the right side of the car/plane was not correctly proportioned!

If that were true, it would explain why the propeller seems to be right over right stabilizer, blocking the propeller from turning.

It would also explain a few other odd things, like why the right-front wheel is visible at the edge of the fuselage in this picture --

-- but it's much closer to the middle in the one that's been the focus of our debate.

Strange, ain't it? Yep, I think so, too.

So, before I came to my sense about 2:00am last night and realized I was starting to act like a conspiracy theorist ("Somebody is deceiving us with this fake picture -- and I have proof!") I went to work on the picture above to fix both the spotty appearance of the fuselage and to put that damned stabilizer where I thought it belonged!

Behold! The entire right half of the car is wider and the stabilizer has been moved over even more than the widening caused it to. I offer this just for your amusement, folks, not as a picture of what the car "really" looks like.

But even with my modifications, the right-front wheel still seems to be too close to the middle!

Apparently the weirdness isn't quite over yet . . .

____________Before (original photo)___________________After (my modified version)

_

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 5 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I should have realized this from the photo that looks down on it, but it just didn't click for some reason -- for any of us apparently, because Wayne could have said, "Bud, look at the other picture. The propeller is almost in front of the stabilizers." That would have settled the matter quicker than teasing me with suggestions that the mind thinks it sees horizontal leading edges that aren't horizontal, etc. etc. etc. Very Happy

Note to Wayne: I'm actually glad you didn't set me straight the quick and easy way.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, put down the gun and step back, sir! We can talk this out! Shocked

Let's start with what that panel below the prop is doing there in this picture. Am I wrong in thinking there's not enough room for the prop to turn?

The drawing of the craft shown in the first post of this thread shows that area as concave. I can't find a single picture of Roadair from the back! And in every single picture we have seen of it, the prop is always aligined horizontally, never vertically or diagonally.

By God, I smell a cover up! My conspiracy theories are resurfacing!

Help me, Obi Wan Orlicki! You're my only hope!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down, Bud! Get hold of yourself! Take two of these and call me in the morning:

That first one shows not only a view from behind, but a photo with the prop spinning. Wood props are traditionally left standing horizontal to prevent moisture from accumulating in the lower blade, resulting in an out-of-balance prop.

Hey! Where'd BDT go?

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: