ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Black Scorpion (1957)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: The Black Scorpion (1957) Reply with quote

A good cast and excellent special effects do a great deal to make up for the low budget of this Warner Brothers film which was shot in Mexico.

The giant creatures are done with stop-motion animation by Willis O'Brien and his talented protégé,, Pete Peterson.

Mara Corday ("Tarantula", "The Giant Claw", Playboy's Miss October 1958) stars with Richard Denning ("The Creature from the Black Lagoon").

In addition to several animated scorpions there's a spider, a giant worm with claws, and other crawly monsters which inhabit a huge cave into which Denning descends in a diving bell.

In one fantastic scene, a group of giant scorpions ambush a train, snatch the passengers out with their pinchers, and eat them!

During the climactic battle with one giant scorpion in Mexico City (which takes place at night in a sports stadium) the scorpion is just a featureless black silhouette in several scenes, a "traveling matte" which lacks the superimposed image of the animated monster. (I didn't bother to include any of those shots because . . . well, I hate 'em. I just used the good stuff. Very Happy)

The producers ran out of money before O'Brien could process the shots and add the actual image of the scorpion! Directed by Edward Ludwig.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu May 21, 2020 3:13 pm; edited 10 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Scorpion - (1957) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
During the climactic battle with one giant scorpion in Mexico City (which takes place at night in a sports stadium) the scorpion is just a featureless black silhouette in several scenes, a "traveling mat" which lacks the superimposed image of the animated monster.

Hmmm. That raises a few questions. Like, I wonder if the movie would have had a different title if they hadn't run out of money? And would the climactic battle have taken place at night?

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're dead on target with both questions, Wayne. I've heard that the title was a halfhearted attempt to legitimize the badly flawed scenes with the scorpion silhouette. And all the scenes of the scorpion in the city were, I'm sure, darkened to reduce the obvious fact that the FX shots were incomplete.

Notice that during those scenes in the city, a "laboratory zoom" sweeps in on the scorpion in the street every time it's shown, cutting the fleeing mob at the bottom of the frame out of the picture because it just emphasized the huge flaw in the shot.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu May 21, 2020 3:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Scorpion - (1957) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The giant insects are done with stop-motion animation by Willis O'Brien and his talented protégé, Pete Peterson.

Scorpions are arachnids, not insects.
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The creatures in the underground caverns were reused from "King Kong", from the deled scene after the sailors had been dumped from the log.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Scorpions are arachnids, not insects.

Thanks. I changed "insects" to "creatures". The trailer for this movie is a "hard sell" classic. Great stuff. Very Happy

____________ The Black Scorpion (1957) Trailer

__________ ]

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GETTING TO KNOW OUR FAVORITE MONSTERS!

We love the giant monsters from our favorite sci-fi films, but just how much science and how much fiction is involved in these movies?

I went looking for videos which reminded me of the great educational film we were treated to in Them!, and here's one that fits the bill perfectly!

Enjoy! Very Happy

-World's Deadliest Scorpion? | National Geographic

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always enjoyed this 50s sci-fi monster film with the marvelous stop-motion animation being done by the legendary Willis 'Obie' O'Brien & Pete Peterson.

The writing never reaches the superb level of "Them!" by any means, but its a serviceable enough story with a fine cast.

And who knew scorpions were such droolers?

I really liked the ranch interior we see here, which appeared to be an actual place rather than a set.

Last edited by Pow on Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I really liked the ranch interior we see here, which appeared to be an actual place rather than a set.

Indeed, yes! And this couch looks VERY inviting! Wink

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu May 21, 2020 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_________________ The Black Scorpion Trailer

Giant scorpions invade Mexico, threatening stars Richard Denning & Mara Corday (above), with stop-motion FX by legend Willis O'Brien (best known for King Kong/1933).

This has some slow spots but then there's that central sequence of the two guys (including star Denning) descending into the cavern from hell. Besides the visuals of the giant creatures, the entire sequence is informed by that constant howling of the monsters.

A little kid has stowed away "to help" and ends up getting chased by some sandtrap spider-thing. The whole sequence is quite nightmarish and very well done. Denning is a little stiff and too cool here; halfway down, the two men spot a giant scorpion in the cavern wall; Denning doesn't even blink. Time to take a photo; OK, proceed. Giant scorpions don't seem to impress Denning's character one iota.

______ The Black Scorpion - Underground Battle

____________ The Black Scorpion - Stadium Battle

Later on, there are the scenes with the derailed train and all the passengers getting chased by the scorpions. Again, there's a nightmarish tone to these scenes which elevate this above the average big monster picture of the fifties. Willis O'Brien — ya done did it again. I agree, though, there a couple close-ups of the giant scorpions(s) — drooling — which could have used some trimming. In the plot, there are a bunch of giant scorpions in Mexico but, towards the end, there's just the largest one, maddened by hunger or something. A wild ending.

BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

On the DVD, there's a very intriguing special feature - test footage of 2 sequences. The first is named 'Las Vegas Monster' and is a long one featuring what looks like an enlarged, mutated gibbon trying to get into a shack. Then a truck arrives and the monster attacks the truck. Then the thing attacks a helicopter - all very well done and surprisingly smooth. The 2nd one is called 'Beetlemen Test Footage' and is shorter, but in color. This footage was done by Pete Peterson, the assistant to O'Brien at the time. The footage was discovered in a trunk of Peterson's after his death in the 1960's.

~ Ignore the title on the thumbnail below.

_______________ The Black Scorpion - Trailer

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Mon May 20, 2019 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the post Bogmeister made for this movie, he likes it more than I do. It occurred to me while reading it that the reason for my lack of enthusiasm is that the animation in this movie just created monsters . . . whereas Harryhausen's animation often created characters.

I realize that even Ray couldn't have done much with scorpions, but maybe that's why he rarely did insects. However, even the bee and the crab from Mysterious Island moved with an elegance that seemed more appealing than the scorpions in this movie.

And the dinosaur in The Giant Behemoth doesn't hold a candle to the animation in Beast from 20,000 Thousand Fathoms.

Other than King Kong, Willis O'Brien never seemed to have a chance to do the kind of stop motion that Ray did.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu May 21, 2020 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Clash of the Titans, RH's final film he created giant scorpions battle the hero and his companions.

Ray was blessed by having producer Charles Schneer as his partner and advocate. Together they were able to produce many fine stop~motion animated movies.

Sadly, Obie never had that lasting professional relationship over the course of his career.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, Clash of the Titans has never felt like a Harryhausen movie to me, despite some great work by Ray.

He had other animators helping him, but I can't seem to find specific information about who animated which creatures. I seem to remember that Pegasus was not done by Ray, by I could be wrong.

For me, everything after Jason and the Argonauts was a let down. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu May 21, 2020 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Danforth & Steve Archer were hired to assist Ray on COTT. Ray admired both men's stop~animation skills but prefers to do all of the animation on his productions.

Steve did several vulture flying sequences.

Jim did the Pegasus flying sequences & Dioskilos.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason and The Argonauts clearly was Ray's finest production in both story and animation,Bud.

However, I think his Mysterious Island was also a worthy effort with his usual superb animation along with a strong script and cast.

First Men in the Moon was also aN entertaining film. Not as much stop~motion animation as I like to see.The story is fun and the moon city sets are terrific.

Valley of Gwangi has the most stop~motion sequences of any of Ray's movies. Being a western fan as well as a sci~fi fan, I quite enjoyed this movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: