ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958) Reply with quote

Yes, my friend, it's a very old story: Alien meets girl, alien marries girl, alien turns into soap suds when he fails to impregnate her.

Boy, if I had a nickle every time THAT happened . . . Rolling Eyes

I watched this movie tonight and really enjoyed it. Any other fans of this neglected classic out there?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Hey, I watched I Married a Monster from O. S. also Reply with quote

Hey, I watched I Married a Monster from Outer Space tonight also!!!!!! So I guess I am a fan of IMAMFOS too!

A hidden gem of a movie. Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aliens are great, but I always look forward to seeing Miss Valerie Allen.

Here she is, in the movie.

__

Here she is, out of the movie.

Here she is, in outer space.

And here she is, out of practically everything! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:08 pm; edited 12 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMAMFOS, the movie that shows you where to find REAL MEN...In the Maternity Ward. Also that a German Shepard's chompers are more powerful than a high-powered rifle bullet. NEVER mess with the relatives of Rin Tin Tin.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Krel. But an IMDB item in the Goofs section points out this troubling idea.

The plot assumes that men who have recently had children have to be human, but they may have been possessed after the conception.

This movie is the perfect feature to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon — which is what I'm doing right now!

Here's an interesting IMDB trivia item I found.

The dogs who attack the undisguised aliens near the end of the film were initially too scared to approach the costumed actors. The dogs were then acclimated to the presence of the suited actors - perhaps too well, for when the time came to shoot the scene of the dogs attacking the aliens, the dogs didn't attack the aliens, but jumped playfully around and on them instead.

The dogs were then trained to go for the "breathing tubes" on the alien costumes. Apparently, the actors playing the aliens had to guide the dogs to attack the "breathing tubes."

And this poster is pretty good.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an interest item on Wikipedia about I Married a Monster from Outer Space concerning it's reception and the second feature it was released with.

Upon its release, I Married a Monster from Outer Space proved to be a hit with audiences and critics. Despite its modest budget and unpretentious production values, the film was an ideal filler for the drive-in crowd.

Originally slated as the A film in a double feature with The Blob (1958), I Married a Monster from Outer Space was relegated to the bottom of the bill when audiences preferred the intriguing color film over the monochromatic and more sombre entry.

Due to its exploitative title, I Married a Monster from Outer Space has long been ignored by critics and film historians, although it received respectable reviews both in contemporary and in later reviews.

Danny Peary described it as "an intelligent, atmospheric, subtly made sci-fi thriller," Tom Milne of Time Out magazine found "good performances, strikingly moody camerawork, a genuinely exciting climax," and Leonard Maltin called it a "pretty good little rehash of Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with "some nice, creepy moments."

And I found a few nice behind-the-scenes and publicity photos today from the movie which I thought I'd share to help generate enthusiasm for All Sci-Fi's Friday Live Chat which focuses on the movie this Friday (October 21st).

Notice that in this next picture and the ones above, the "mouth" looks like a hole in the alien's head —

— whereas in the picture below, the mouth appears to have two vertical rows of teeth and a mouth that's fairly shallow! Shocked

However, the pictures that make it look like a hole that goes all the way through the head have to be fake, because (a) the wearer's head is inside the suit, and (b) the background is a different color than the "hole" in all but one of the photos. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:42 pm; edited 5 times in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this movie, too. As others have said, the title probably turns many people away without even watching it. Conversely, "Plan 9 from Outer Space" wasn't a bad title, and people turned away after watching it.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The male star, Tom Tryon led a very full life.
Here is a part of his Wikipedia entry :

Thomas "Tom" Tryon (January 14, 1926 — September 4, 1991) was an American film and television actor, best known for playing the title role in the film The Cardinal (1963), featured roles in the war films The Longest Day and In Harm's Way and as the Walt Disney television character Texas John Slaughter (1958—1961).

He later turned to the writing of prose fiction and screenplays, and wrote several science fiction, horror and mystery novels.

Disillusioned with acting, Tryon retired from the profession in 1969 and began writing horror and mystery novels. He was successful, overcoming skepticism about a classically handsome movie star suddenly turning novelist.

His best-known work is The Other (1971), about a boy whose evil twin brother may or may not be responsible for a series of deaths in a small rural community in the 1930s. He adapted his novel into a film released the following year, which starred Diana Muldaur, Uta Hagen, and John Ritter.

Harvest Home (1973), about the dark pagan rituals being practiced in a small New England town, was adapted as The Dark Secret of Harvest Home (1978), a television mini-series starring Bette Davis. An extensive critical analysis of Tryon's horror novels can be found in S. T. Joshi's book The Modern Weird Tale (2001).

His other books include Crowned Heads, a collection of novellas inspired by the legends of Hollywood. The first of these novellas, Fedora, about a reclusive former film actress whose relationship with her plastic surgeon is similar to that between a drug addict and her pusher, was later converted to a feature film directed by Billy Wilder. Though the film was only moderately successful, it is considered by many[who?] to be a minor classic of the thriller and horror genres.

Other novellas in the collection were based on the murder of former silent screen star Ram??n Novarro, and the quasi-Oedipal relationship between actor Clifton Webb and his mother. Lady (1974) concerns the friendship between an eight-year-old boy and a charming widow in 1930s New England and the secret he discovers about her. Many[who?] consider this to be Tryon's best work.

His novel The Night of the Moonbow (1989) tells the story of a boy driven to violent means by the constant harassment he receives at a summer boys camp. Night Magic, written in 1991, was posthumously published in 1995.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Tryon's role as Texas John Slaughter (cool hat; cross-draw holster) and the screen adaptation of The Other (creeped me out in my 20s).

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, THE OTHER was as creepy as THE EXORSIST If not more!
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new take on "I Married a Monster from Outer Space"

by Dale Bailey, from the introduction "I'd lately been looking at old SF films, and when I saw the title I knew I had to use it."

http://dalebailey.com/

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pye-Rate wrote:
A new take on "I Married a Monster from Outer Space"

I see the title listed, but I don't know how to get there from there.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pye-rate, please go back and check your post. The link does NOT seem to apply to I Married a Monster From Outer Space. We're all a trifle confused by your message.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dalebailey.com/bibliography/

published here
http://www.asimovs.com/

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing credited to Dale Bailey at asimovs.com. Can you provide a DIRECT link to the article of interest?

Pye-Rate wrote:
http://dalebailey.com/bibliography/

]published here.

http://www.asimovs.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: