ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this movie in a theater with my dad when I was 10. As I recall the most frightening aspect was that the monster could not be killed and could penetrate with relative ease the various levels of the spaceship.

Ultimately without a means to kill it the crew was facing a very bleak future and this to me was the most frightening aspect. When the creature cannot be killed, this is the worst possible outcome in a child’s mind or at least for me.

Same thing with the blob. Early on in the movie there was no way to kill it.

These movies are supposed to convey a sense of security and hope by the time they end. Imagine if the creature killed all the crew that would be a truly horrible ending.

Same thing with the blob, eventually it absorbs everybody in the world and the globe is just encased in red jelly.

These prospects for a child were most frightening. So, I was glad to realize that towards the end of the movie there was a solution to the problem in both movies. Once they figured out that the creature was consuming large amounts of air, I knew there would be a solution, and when the Blob could be frozen, I knew there was a solution.

Phew, that was close.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's Create a Sequel!

~ A Question for the Members: I dislike pessimistic stories which depict the darker side of mankind.

But perhaps the only sequel to this movie should be one which sticks with the Alien movies it allegedly inspired. Sad

So, should we design a sequel similar to the idea in Alien, in which the "Weapons Division" of Wayland Industries attempts to capture all the surviving Martians we see in this movie and turn them into super-soldiers?

~ Here's what I came up with.: Obviously the answer to this question is yes, since the Alien franchise did that very thing.

But since we're "turning back the clock" and creating an imaginary 1950s sequel, we've got to make it distinctly different from Ridley Scott's later versions.

Therefore, let's do what the Alien movies never did!

The warmonger authorities bring a few dozen of these nasty Martians back to Earth with the idea of turning them in "super soldiers" who could be unleashed on the enemies of our country!

Sound like a great strategy, right? Hell no, of course not! Shocked

The plot twist here is that these creatures prove to be smarter than their captors imagined after they escape from their hi-tech confinement.

The rest of the story is all about the ruthless military men who just want to hunt down and destroy the escaped Martians — and the more rational scientist who realize these terrifying creatures might be intelligent enough to reason with!

Krel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

The rest of the story is all about the ruthless military men who just want to hunt down and destroy the escaped Martians — and the more rational scientist who realize these terrifying creatures might be intelligent enough to reason with!

Remember what happened when Dr. Carrington tried that in "The Thing from Another World". Two scientist drained of their blood, and Dr. Carrington used as a handball by the Thing.

How about this storyline. They decided to try and save the Martans. They build a fort for protection with holding cells to contain the Martians they find.

The goal is to see if the Martians were ever a rational, intelligent, civilized species capable of cooperation and coexistence, or if they are just clever, dangerous animals. If they were once rational, can they be made so again.

Of course something goes wrong. The Martians will cooperate with each other, but only see the humans as weak and a source of food. And they're hungry...VERY hungry.

The Humans have developed effective weapons against the Martians, but there are many, many more than then they thought. As everything spirals out of control, the base splits into two camps. Those trying to survive, and the Dr. Carringtons. It becomes a three-way battle.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, I'd forgotten about the "imaginary sequel" I'd already posted on page 1 of this thread back in February of 2018! Laughing

It has a few similarities to your concept, including the "fort for protection" you mentioned. The quote below is how I described it. I modified the image below to put an electrified fence around it.

Quote:
After landing on the Red Planet, they set up a prefabricated base camp with perimeter defenses that include an electrified fence, since the folks in the first movie found out that the creature responded to an electrified ladder between two the decks.

The creature attacked the crewmen in It! The Terror from Beyond Space to extract water from their bodies. So, water would be the bait the characters in this sequel would use to lure the creature into a trap.

The object of the mission would be to communicate with the creatures (if possible) and learn more about them for scientific reasons, or to capture one alive and take it back to Earth if the creature-or-creatures prove too hostile to deal with peacefully.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCM aired this movie on November 27th, 2021, and Ben Mankiewicz made his usual great introduction, mentioning that it inspired the blockbuster hit, Alien in 1979 — which TCM aired immediately after this one. Very Happy

Ben discusses the fact that this movie was a low-budget B-movie which lacked state-of-the-art special effects.

In all fairness, some of the FX are state-of-the-art, while others are not. And the worst of these are that lousy monster suit!

With that in mind, I propose that an enhance version of this movie could be made using CGI to replace all the embarrassingly bad scenes of the clumsy monster.

A more slender, agile creature would work better than the bulky alien who was supposed to crawl around in the ship's air ducts. Rolling Eyes

Forgive me for promoting my artwork yet again, but a good CGI crew could take designs like the ones below and improve this movie by making the alien lith and agile — instead of a lumbering Frankenstein monster!

Ridley Scott knew the alien creature needed to be slime and spidery, and that's exactly what this movie needs too. Enhancing it with CGI would be complicated, but I think the result would be spectacular.
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Martian was a Paul Blaisdell creation, and a good looking monster. The big problem with the costume is that Ray Corrigan refused to show up to be fitted for the costume. This forced Mr. Blaisdell to work from measurements that were given to him. As a result, the Martian head was too small, and Mr. Corrigan's chin stuck out of the mouth. The solution was to paint Mr. Corrigan's chin to look like a tongue. Laughing

A problem with electric fences is that they can be shorted out when grounded. If a Martin got stuck on the fence, it could short the fence out. Then all you have is the fence trying to stop a creature that can punch through a metal pressure hatch.

I read recently that a better choice for colonization would be Titan. It has resources, maybe even water, and an atmosphere where you wouldn't need a pressure suit. Just one with really good insulation and a respirator. The downside is that with current technology, it would take seven years to get there.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It! The Terror from Beyond has been cited as the inspiration for the Dan O'Bannon screenplay for the classic Ridley Scott science fiction-horror movie Alien.

Jerome Bixby who wrote the script for It!, might have been influenced, in turn, by the A.E. Von Vogt book, The Voyage of the Space Beagle. In that novel, a massive exploration spaceship discovers an intelligent, starving carnivore on another world. The creature, known as a Coeurl, sneaks on board the ship and begins killing crew members. It also implants its parasitic eggs in humans.

20th Century Fox was sued by Van Vogt for plagiarism, the suit was settled out of court.

The movie had about a $100,000 budget with a six-day shoot.

Final film of Ray "Crash" Corrigan.

Corrigan refused to travel to the film's makeup artist Paul Blaisdell's Topanga Canyon home and studio. Paul was then unable to take exact measurements of Ray's head when devising the alien mask. Once filming began, there were problems with making the mask prop properly fit upon Ray's head. Ray's bulbous chin stuck out of the mask's mouth, so Paul added a row of fangs on Ray's chin in an attempt to cover up the glaring issue.

Ray came onto the set a few times drunk, refused to follow directions at times, and damaged the monster suit.

Actress Shawn Smith was constantly in a foul mood. She was furious at having been cast in a low-budget monster movie.

Now this sounds like one big fun production to have worked on.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a big fan of the original Alien, or any of its sequels. I prefer this movie because of the likable characters.

I guess I'm just a Cock-eyed Optimist!

Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The monster suit was reused in "Invisible Invaders". In the scene where they capture one of the dead and use sound to make the Invader leave the body, the Martian suit was used to show the Invaders true form.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: