ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Men in the Moon (1964)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: First Men in the Moon (1964) Reply with quote

This is movie number ten for the great Ray Harryhausen, who provides his usual stunning animation, although the plot is a bit cynical for some tastes, lacking the cheerful charm of such movies as Journey to the Center of the Earth. In this one we get animated Selenites, giant caterpillar-like "Moon Cows", and a big-brained Grand Lunar on his regal throne.

The special effects in the scenes of Professor Cavor's spherical spaceship en route to the Moon are beautiful, as well the scenes on the lunar surface and the Selenite Moon creatures.

The opening scene is clever: the "first" astronauts to land on the moon (an international group) are stunned by the discovery of a tiny British flag on the lunar surface.

A message attached to the flag identifies the real first Moon landers, and the authorities on Earth get in touch with one of them, an aging Edward Judd, who tells the strange tale of his turn-of-the century expedition with Professor Cavor (Jeffries) and Judd's fiance' (Hyer).

All that sounds jim-dandy, but the truth of the matter is, this movie doesn't hold a candle to Jason and the Argonauts — which is generally regarded as Harryhausen's crowning achievement. Tom Hanks proclaimed it to be greater than Citizan Kane when he presented Ray with his Lifetime Achievement Award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

He wasn't entirely joking. Ray should have a shelf filled with FX Oscars for the work he's done, and Jason was indeed the Crown Jewel in his collection.

I don't mean to criticize the fine folks who have good feelings about First Men in the Moon, but I'm sure they'd agree that this movie doesn't quite measure up to some of Ray's other features.

One website I found pointed out that Ray's influence reaches places we're not always aware of.

Directed by Nathan Juran. Laurie Johnson wrote the fine music (available on soundtrack album). Starring Edward Judd (The Day the Earth Caught Fire), Lionel Jeffries (The Revenge of Frankenstein), and Martha Hyer (Abbott & Costello Go to Mars).

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:38 pm; edited 9 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the artist who created the poster is the same one who did The Time Machine (1960)? The styles are certainly similar as is the layout.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a site that sells 8mm movies AND 8mm projectors, a standee of Martha Hyer from First Men IN the Moon.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
I wonder if the artist who created the poster is the same one who did The Time Machine (1960)? The styles are certainly similar as is the layout.

Excellent observation, Butch. Although I don't think the same artist did both (the style seems different), the artist who did First Men in the Moon definitely seems to have deliberately designed the poster to resemble The Time Machine.

I'd never noticed the resemblance. Good call, Professor Day.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 am; edited 3 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Christmas publicity picture of Martha Hyer.

From the site Say; Hello Spaceman
http://sayhellospaceman.blogspot.com/
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched this film several years ago for the first time in many a year. Found it a delight!

Not as much stop-motion sequences as I would have liked but nonetheless a lavish looking production, fun story, wonderful cast.

Ray said that the scenes in the beginning of FMITM of the present day spaceship orbiting the moon & having its lunar lander descend to the surface was used on TV during the first real moon landing. The TV networks aired that particular scene so as to show what the moon landing would look like.
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite Harryhausen efforts and I loved them all. I somehow missed the original theatrical release, but I had the Gold Key comic, which I think I reread until I wore it out. I did see it the first time it appeared on TV. I think one thing I like about it is that the story has all the elements of an outlandish yarn an eccentric storyteller might tell. Of course, the wacky old storyteller turns out to be telling the truth.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster artwork:

Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's always been my favorite type of movie poster art-- the scene collage overlay. There probably is an actual name for it.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You almost named it. It is called the collage or montage poster.
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. "Collage or montage poster". FMITM has to one of my favorites of all time, but there have been so many great ones. Robert McGinnis' James Bond posters are masterworks of the genre. But with this one you pretty much get the film story in one marvelous piece — there's the Earth, the sphere landing, the guys go into the crater, mysteries are discovered, moon residents are shot up. Come to think of it, this story does kind of characterize the spirit of humanity's reckless zeal for exploration and corruption.
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Facebook page has some behind the scenes photos from the movie: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.703892559713961.1073742474.277297109040177&type=3

David.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you screen grab those pictures and post them?

The link wants me to join Facebook!. won't. Social media has a way of just eating-up time and wasting space by unnecessary viewpoints which the posters think are either "TRUTH" or "opinions". They are neither. ("TRUTH", as such, doesn't exist and "opinions" are properly used by persons who actually have working knowledge of said subject. Most people do not (and that does include myself).

As Alfred Pennyworth (Michael Gough [gawff]) said in Batman Returns (1992):

Most of the time, it's a waste of time.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, that Facebook page — which is called Realm of Retro Sci-Fi — is wonderful! It's packed with great material. Thanks! Very Happy

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
The link wants me to join Facebook! I won't. Social media has a way of just eating-up time and wasting space by unnecessary viewpoints which the posters think are either "TRUTH" or "opinions". They are neither. ("TRUTH", as such, doesn't exist and "opinions" are properly used by persons who actually have working knowledge of said subject. Most people do not (and that does include myself).

Butch, I'm pretty sure you told us you joined Facebook a few months ago. But that's not the important thing here.

All Sci-Fi, of which you have been the most loyal supporter for the past eight years, is basically just my personal "Facebook", designed to provide a way for me to share the things I know and the opinions I have — about the subjects I love — with the people who enjoy reading them.

People like you.

All Sci-Fi also allows you and the other members to do exactly the same thing. And of all the members of this board, you have exercised your right to share your knowledge and your opinions more than anyone else — over 1,000 posts, the second highest number of messages on All Sci-Fi.

What those posts have done is present the facts and opinions you wanted to share with us. We've enjoyed your contributions, Butch — even though we've learned that you don't always get your facts quite right.

Which is why your statement above is puzzling:

Quote:
"TRUTH", as such, doesn't exist and "opinions" are properly used by persons who actually have working knowledge of said subject.

Don't be too hard on the folks who like Facebook, Butch. Not everybody has the ability and the inclination to create their very own message board to provide a creative outlet and a little virtual companionship.

Facebook and All Sci-Fi have the same mission: to provide a place where folks like you can find a group of friendly people who enjoy reading your personal views about what a waste of time it is to share your personal views!

Come on, you gotta love the irony in that, eh? Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined ONLY because a friend signed me up for a birthday present. I was only on for about 3 - 4 months, then I got disgusted with all of the nonsense. So I quit it. Cold Turkey.

Last edited by Robert (Butch) Day on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: