ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Land Unknown (1957)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: The Land Unknown (1957) Reply with quote

This rip-roaring sci-fi adventure scores high marks in several categories. The story concerns four people whose helicopter lands in an unknown prehistoric valley, a freak temperate zone located thousands of feet below sea level in the Antarctic, kept warm by volcanically-heated water and a permanent cloud layer that traps the warm air.

The special effects are by Universal's FX wizard Clifford Stine, and even though the dinosaurs are not animated, they are extremely effective and enjoyable.

"Great shot, sweetheart, that was beautiful! But let's try that scene again, okay? And this time I'd like to see just a bit more primal rage." Cool

The Tyrannosaurus Rex is a man in a suit, the flippered dinosaur is a convincing mechanical model, and the rest of the dinosaurs are portrayed very effectively as enlarged lizards.

All the dinosaurs are skillfully integrated with live action shots. Stine loaded the film with wonderful scenes of the fog-shrouded prehistoric landscape, using marvelous matte shots and impressive sets, creating a Skull Island atmosphere.

In some ways, this is the perfect 1950's sci-fi film. It proudly presents a wealth of facts about the Antarctic before it begins its fanciful story. The music by Joseph Gershenson is extremely effective. Director Virgil Vogel (The Mole People) keeps the action moving right along. Hero Jock Mahoney (a former stunt man who does all his own stunts in this film, and who later played Tarzan) is a stalwart hero.

Shawn Smith makes a very gorgeous-and-gutsy heroine. She can be seen as the severe heroine in It! The Terror from Beyond Space and one of the delicious mini-skirted ladies in World Without End. She also appears in many other films under her other screen name, Shirley Patterson.

Henry Brandon does a commendable job as a half-crazed survivor from a previous expedition to the Antarctic region.

Also starring Douglas Kennedy and William Reynolds. Produced by William Alland (This Island Earth, "The Space Children", etc.).

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:48 pm; edited 11 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first picture won't show. Presumably it's one of these posters.

The funniest line (to me) is that offered by Captain Burnham: Your goal, gentlemen: Antarctica. Five million square miles of terra incognate, but your job to make it just a little less incognate.

Now Antarctica thinks?

larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this oldie, except for the rubber T-Rex. I like the volcanic-heated prehistoric jungle, under the Antarctic ice.

If a 'Return To...' sequel is ever made, I hope (in addition to dinosaurs), the new explorers also encounter descendant New Swabia Nazi's (and their flying saucers) - in Agartha (Hollow Earth). Hopefully, they might even find modern descendants of the pre-Sumerian civilization, and a Stargate-style wormhole transport device to the ancient- inhabited planet Aldebaran, in the Taurus constellation.

But please... no Adolph Hitler riding a T-Rex.

Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone notice that parts of the movie's plot were 'lifted' from Edgar Rice Burroughs' Caprona stories? [These were poorly made as the movies The Land That Time Forgot (1975) and The People That Time Forgot (1977). The 3rd novel Out Of Time's Abyss has not been made — yet.]
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but imagine if all the dinos had been done as stop-motion creatures by either O'Bie or Ray Harryhausen?

This would be considered a classic.

One of the aspects that did always impress me was the jungle sets. Be it miniature work or a practical set, the jungle, mixed with fog, was always eerie & epic looking to me.

Trivia: Had Ray done a s-m plant it would have been his first & only one. Mr.Harryhausen in his legendary career animated dinos, statues, mythical beings, skeletons, insects, giant versions of real life creatures & aliens. However, he never got around to plants.

Wanted to do one for his Mysterious Island film but time & money wouldn't allow it. Crying or Very sad
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryfoster wrote:
I like this oldie, except for the rubber T-Rex. I like the volcanic-heated prehistoric jungle, under the Antarctic ice.

Perhaps you didn't mean "under the ice" literally. The prehistoric land was down in a deep recess, like a crater, covered only by a permanent cloud layers.

As for the dinosaurs, the T-Rex actually looks pretty good in some respects, but the rounded body and the plodding Godzilla walk spoiled the effect. However, the head looked very good. It had blinking eyes and other noteworthy details. And there's something to be said for a non-animated monster when it's done well.

I'd much rather have this —

— than this!

If they had made the body of the T-Rex considerably leaner and placed a weight in the tail that allowed the wearer to lean well forward while walking, it would have looked pretty good.

And as much as I love stop motion, it isn't always the best way to do monsters, even when the animation is Harryhausen-quality work. There are many people who literally "see" animation differently than fans like us do. Their brains process what they see in some manner that causes the animation to strobe or jerk more than it does for the rest of us.

I seem to remember a statement by Steven Spielberg once about how reluctant he was to use stop motion on Jurassic Park because — according to him — it looked so blatantly jerky. The development of the CGI alternative was an amazing improvement over stop motion for Spielberg and the people like him who don't see it like the rest of us.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot speak to the fact that some folks brains actually process stop-motion differently from others.

All I know is that films that employ either men in dino-suits, or take live lizards & glue scales onto them, have never,ever been convincing to me. They look like what they are: cheap solutions for their budget.

I always prefer well done stop-motion (Jack the Giant Killer being an example of the opposite of well done) than anything else.
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I seem to remember a statement by Steven Spielberg once about how reluctant he was to use stop motion on Jurassic Park because -- according to him -- it looked so blatantly jerky. The development of the CGI alternative was an amazing improvement over stop motion for Spielberg and the people like him who don't see it like the rest of us.

In good S.M. animation, the 'jerkiness' comes from the image having no motion blur. The movie "Dragonslayer" got around this by using motion control to move the dragon during exposure.

I wonder if you could use CGI to add motion blur to a stop motion creature? I bet that Ray Harryhausen would have tried it. He seemed to have been willing to use any new technology that would help him.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
All I know is that films that employ either men in dino-suits, or take live lizards & glue scales onto them have never, ever been convincing to me.They look like what they are: cheap solutions for their budget.

I always prefer well done stop-motion (Jack the Giant Killer being an example of the opposite of well done) than anything else.

Bless my soul, we sure see eye-to-eye on this matter, despite the way my defense of The Land Unknown may have sounded.

There are only two films I enjoy which use lizards as dinosaurs — one of which is The Land Unknown, partly because it does not tack spiny hoods onto the lizards it presents as prehistoric beast, and partly because the characters never do stupid things like gaze at an iguana with rubber appliances and say, "My God, that's a brontosaurus!" — the way poor Claude Rains did in that awful version of The Lost World — although I must admit, the shot is beautifully composed.

Jill St. John's pretty pink pants are perfectly positioned! Very Happy

However, in The Land Unknown the lizards were presented butt naked, just the way God made them! No glued-on appliances. And when they fought like alley cats, they actually ripped the skin off each other! Shocked

The other film that uses lizards effectively is, of course, Journey to the Center of the Earth — which gussied up it's reptilian actors with fins on their backs and horns on their sides which were so elegant they were the veritable "tuxedos of cosmetic appliances"!

It made them look remarkably like the kind of dinosaur they were supposed to be — and James Mason even got the name just right.

"That's a dimetrodon!"

And by gum, that's just what is was! Very Happy

So, I consider these two films to be the exception to the rule when it comes to the unfortunate use of lizards to portray dinosaurs.

Krel wrote:
I wonder if you could use CGI to add motion blur to a stop motion creature? I bet that Ray Harryhausen would have tried it. He seemed to have been willing to use any new technology that would help him.

What a great idea, David!

And I'll bet it would be relatively easy to write a computer program that recognized the animated figure in a scene and "blended" is movements, sort of like what your cursor does on the display when you select Enable Pointer Trails.

I was surprised by how enthusiastic Harryhausen was about the colorized versions of his movies when that was done (with his assistance). On the commentaries for these movies he exclaims repeatedly, "It looks just like they were shot in color!"

I don't like 'em at all, frankly. Give me the clean and honest look of black & white & and glorious shades of gray, thank you very much. Confused

But since Ray embraced the colorization so enthusiastically, I agree with you that he would have approved of a little computerized "strobe removal".

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:16 pm; edited 6 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
As for the dinosaurs, the T-Rex actually looks pretty good in some respects, but the rounded body and the plodding Godzilla walk spoiled the effect.. . . And there's something to be said for a non-animated monster when it's done well.

I don't know . . . I found the phoniness of this T-Rex rather appealing as part of the overall nostalgic look of the movie. I suppose it's something like those who prefer to keep the film grain in restored digitized movies (or keeping black-and-white movies black-and-white. Very Happy )

Bud Brewster wrote:
If they had made the body of the T-Rex considerably leaner and placed a weight in the tail that allowed the wearer to lean well forward while walking, it would have looked pretty good.

Oh, yeah. Back in the "old days" we all knew how dinosaurs were supposed to look. Wink

Bear in mind that the quality of any effect, practical or computer-generated, comes not only from the skill of the technician/artist, but from the budget and time constraints as well. There were several stop-motion techniques developed for simulating motion blur. Whether or not they could be used depended on those budgetary and time constraints. Nowadays with CGI we can correct any effect at all in older movies. Just "show me the money."

WayneO
-----------
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
There were several stop-motion techniques developed for simulating motion blur.

Those techniques were very BAD back then. They didn't get better until STAR WARS Episode IV: A New Hope (1977).
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
There are many people who literally "see" animation differently than fans like us do. Their brains process what they see in some manner that causes the animation to strobe or jerk more than it does for the rest of us.

Another technique commonly used in stop-motion animation that contributes to the strobing effect is double-framing. In order to save time, the animator will move the figure twice the distance and expose two frames at each position; that is 12 positions per second, as opposed to 24. A secondary reason this may also be done is because finer changes of position in the miniature figures are more difficult to achieve. But the result is a more noticeably jerky movement.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Another technique commonly used in stop-motion animation that contributes to the strobing effect is double-framing. In order to save time, the animator will move the figure twice the distance and expose two frames at each position.

Yes, I've heard about that being done — and pretty often, too. I suspect that most of the wanna-be animators who lack the genius of O'Brien, Harryhausen, Peterson, and Danforth use this method.

Even the best stop motion looks like stop motion, so using a short-cut like exposing two frames at a time produces extremely jerky motions.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Truth About Admiral Byrd’s “Bitter Reality” At Earth’s End

* Read the full article at the link above.

In honor of All Sci-Fi's Friday Live Chat on May 20th, I offer these excerpts from an article about Admiral Byrd's 1947 expedition to the Antarctic, which inspired the story for The Land Unknown.

The Truth About Admiral Byrd's "Bitter Reality" At Earth's End

by Micah Hanks

In spite of the scientific and historic merit of Byrd's achievements, there are less widely-publicized theories which suggest Byrd was onto something that went far deeper than his exploration of the surface world.

The fringe beliefs associated with Admiral Byrd's exploits spin off in a variety of strange directions, all of which seem to belong more in the realm of science fiction than historic fact. For example, some accounts have claimed the famous explorer, while visiting the polar regions, actually discovered entrances to a vast Hollow Earth, in which lost civilizations with advanced UFO flying craft existed.

Antarctic explorer Paul Siple later noted that the reporters aboard the USS Mount Olympus had overblown claims from Byrd's expedition pertaining to the so-called "Bungers Oasis", a lake area found to have uniquely warm temperatures (around 30 degrees) and a variety of algae growing within.

Byrd later described the location as a "land of blue and green lakes and brown hills in an otherwise limitless expanse of ice," and that his crew had "seemed to have dropped out of the twentieth century into a landscape of thousands of years ago when land was just starting to emerge from one of the great ice ages."

* Antarctica's warm region, surrounded by many miles of snow and ice.

There were, of course, no reports of mammoths or flying saucers mentioned at this point, although Byrd would later call the discovery "by far the most important, so far as the public interest was concerned of the expedition."

Nonetheless, Siple notes, "the eleven press representatives aboard the Uss Mount Olympus had fired off dispatches to the outside world describing the oasis as a "Shangri-La" and implying that it was warmed by a mysterious source of heat and might be supporting vegetation."

Taken into context, these details could easily have been the root of claims about a prehistoric "oasis" at the South Pole.

The following incident was photographed, and the footage was actually used in the climax of The Land Unknown! — Bud Very Happy

The onset of inclement weather had caused a variety of issues, particularly with aircraft, by late January of 1947. One dramatic example of this included a sudden downwind that literally swept a helicopter in mid-takeoff directly into the ocean water, leaving a narrow window of opportunity for the pilot to escape, and moments later be rescued.

Please join us Friday night to watch The Land Unknown!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, for all you folks who criticize the big rubber T-Rex, I think we should put more of the blame on the guy inside it instead of the talented people who created it. I think they did a pretty good job!

______

And just look what can be done in a rubber suit if it's worn by the right person. Why, with a little training and practice, that T-Rex could be have been a star! Very Happy

_______________ Teaching A T-Rex to Macarena

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:36 pm; edited 5 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: