ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supergirl (CBS 2015 / CW 2016)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! No DVR, Mr. Jones?

That's too bad. When I first read what you said — "I don't think I will [watch it] for awhile" — I thought you meant you were going to DVR Superegirl to get a few episodes backlogged, and then skip the commercials and watch more than one episode at time.

I do that with all the shows I watch. I wait until I've got three or four on the DVR, then when I'm in the mood for the show, I can stick with it right through multiple episodes and watch them "commercial free".

However, you did say, "I've only got a single tuner for recording", so perhaps I misunderstood.

But the network's boneheaded decision to fight over the target audience for that kind of series is perplexing, to put it politely. The obvious smart move would be to schedule a series aimed at a different kind of audience during [/i]Gotham[/i], and put SuperBlonde on when that the comic fans aren't being drawn away by another show of the same type.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Big Network style of macho posturing more than logic is at play here. I may just catch her in reruns next summer as I do with shows I can take or leave, like Hawaii 5-0.

I finally decided that's the best way to go with all sitcoms, too. I never watch a sitcom until it's been around for season or two and received a lot of acclaim. New ones pop up all the time and most of them aren't worth a blink.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the CW and CBS are actually competing with itself in a stupid way.

"CW" stands for the two owners: CBS and Warners!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night's episode (number 2) was very impressive!

I didn't have many good things to say about the pilot, but episode 2 really increased my respect for the series.

It was fun.

Not only did Miss Melissa Benoist manage to be just as cute as a button while she was straining to move a burning oil tanker, she even left gouges in the metal because of her super-strength — a detail I admire the show for including.

And then the episode took it a step further by having the tremendous stress crack the hull of the ship and cause a massive oil spill. At last, realism in a Superperson series!

Looking good wasn't all Supergirl did. Kara kicked Kryptonian butt in the fight with her evil aunt Astra!

Astra is played by Laura Benanti, who also gets to play a smiling hologram of the villain's twin sister, Alura Zor-El — Kara's late mother — to provide advice and emotional support.

Unfortunately, Alura does a crappy job of comforting Kara when the young girl says that what she really needs is a hug (even though she knows the hologram can't do that).

Mom replies with, "I'm not programmed to do that."

Good grief, the dumb computer couldn't offer a nice human response like, "Oh, Kara, you know I'd do that if I could, sweetheart."

But that's a very minor complaint, and overall the show has definitely earned my admiration. I think they're going to do good things with it. The snazzy opening scene in which Supergirl is working with a technical team to test her abilities and train her to use them was interesting and exciting.

She did something in that scene I've always wished Superman would do, just to show us that flying is as much fun as we all think it would be.

She smiles.

And am I the only one who noticed that Kara and Mr. James Olsen had a brief moment in the office when Kara looked up at James with an eager twinkle in her eyes, as if she wished he'd kiss her? Wink

We'll just have to wait and see if CBS is bold enough to follow up on that wild idea.

I also loved the scenes in which Jimmy Olsen and her other friend (played by Jeremy Jordan) were coordinating Supergirl's hero work by using a police scanner — with Supergirl apparently "plugged in" with an earpiece phone!

We don't see the earpiece, but the two guys seem to be talking to a speaker phone in the room, and in one quick shot we see Supergirl handing a pet snake back to a little girl while the guys' voices have that "overheard phone voice" quality, indicated that she's hearing them in her earplug.

It was a slick and jazzy montage of rescues, with the gleeful girl of steel zipping around the city doing good deeds faster than a speeding bullet!

And we saw none of those gentle breezes that waved the cap around a little, like the flying scenes in all the previous movies and shows. No sir, this gal is bucking a hundred-mile-an-hour wind as she rips through the air, grinning from the sheer joy of it!

Nice touch. I'm really starting to like this series!

* Note the red stripes on the torso and down the arms. I hadn't noticed those until I made the screen grab above and enhanced it a little.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
... when the young girl says that what she really needs is a hung ...

HUNG?!? Your libido is showing again! (Not that I blame you. She IS cute as button!)

Bud Brewster wrote:
I also loved the scenes in which Jimmy Olsen and her other friend (played by Jeremy Jordan) were coordinating Supergirl's hero work by using a police scanner — with Supergirl apparently "plugged in" with an earpiece phone!

We don't see the earpiece, but the two guys seem to be talking to a speaker phone in the room, and in one quick shot we see Supergirl handing a pet snake back to a little girl while the guys' voices have that "overheard phone voice" quality, indicated that she's hearing them in her earplug.

Actually she has a microphone attached to her ear. She's listening with her super-hearing. (I called the producer's office to find out.)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
Actually she has a microphone attached to her ear. She's listening with her super-hearing. (I called the producer's office to find out.)

He lied. It would be silly for her to carry a mic and not a complete phone. Super hearing doesn't mean you can just hear two guys in a room talking to you from anywhere in the city.

But even if she could, why have a microphone and NOT a complete earpiece phone?

Call that bozo back and tell him we don't buy it, Butch.
Cool
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. If she can be that selective with her super hearing, why wouldn't she just listen to the police channel (or dispatcher) directly?

Sounds like LXG's BS.

WayneO
-----------
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. But you know Network Suits. I told him that in one shot you can see it. He just hung up without saying anything.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Every time I starting thinking nobody has more imagination than I do, you top me, Butch! Shocked

Hey, since that man was so rude, here's how you can repay his lack of consideration. Give us his name and phone number and we'll tell him just how angry we are at the way he treated our favorite citizen of Fantasyland.

Keep those Tall Tales comin', old friend! We love 'em.
Very Happy
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having scientific types back in headquarters providing advice and alerts does sound a bit like two of the other DC series we have - Felicity updating Oliver as he zooms across Starling City towards the location that was pinpointed, or the Star Labs duo telling Barry the latest data as he crosses Central City rather more quickly.

Still, if the formula works, stay with it I guess!
Wink
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it, because it made perfect sense! Very Happy

Every city has a vast system all set up to receive reports of critical situations and relay them to emergency personnel. Why wouldn't a superhero have a support team who monitors the communication system of the official first responders, so that he-or-she can perform the same task just as efficiently?

When I wrote The Hero Experience I included a scene in which the teenage characters quickly realized that their plan to masquerade as superheros needed a way for them to find out where a possible crime was being committed so they could show up and put on their act.

The obvious solution was a police band radio, so they got one and spent many hours listening to it while sitting in their Jeep Wagoneer, waiting for a situation that was just right for their crazy plan.

I haven't been watching the other shows you mentioned, Custer, so seeing Supergirl using this very sensible system to maximize her crime-fighting efforts was an unexpected and delightful aspect of the show.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since CBS owns the CW Network, I'm hoping that there could be a Flash/Supergirl crossover episodes now & then.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS put a nix on that for at least the first season.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
CBS put a nix on that for at least the first season.

Yep, that's the word on the street all right. Here's a quote from Superherohype, with a link to the article.

"The network has said publicly at this point they're going to keep her to themselves," Berlanti told the outlet. "I always approach the shows as a fan first, so I would love to see (a crossover). I think in success, all things are possible. But there's a lot that would have to happen before everybody might say yes to that."

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be logical to, eventually, have Supergirl crossing paths with the other DC television series, or at least the superhero ones. Between them, Flash and Arrow have already introduced The Atom, Arsenal, Firestorm, Speedy, Black Canary, Suicide Squad, and Katana, plus a number of the well-known villains, and younger versions of a few characters have been sighted in Gotham...

And there's Legends of Tomorrow coming up, with Rip Hunter (Time Master) putting a team together! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: