ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supergirl (CBS 2015 / CW 2016)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you noticed that last week's Arrow featured the Constantine character from the shortly run NBC series. I suppose the only DC crossovers we won't see will be characters from Gotham & SuperLady, seeing as they're in hot competition for viewers.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I've only recently finished Arrow season three, and was leaving them for a while... or at least until I finish the first season of Flash! Nice that Constantine hasn't been forgotten, that was quite an enjoyable series.

And I've not started the new season of Gotham yet... it's fun to build up a reserve, so that one can, eventually, watch two or three episodes in one session...
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Interesting - I've only recently finished Arrow season three, and was leaving them for a while... or at least until I finish the first season of Flash!

The only problem I see in that is that they have so many crossovers it would seem best to watch them both at the same time. This season it's going to be much more so as both Arrow and Flash are preparing characters for the new (and dreadfully named) "Legends of Tomorrow" series that starts in a couple of months.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did switch between the two shows a bit, though a guest appearance from Felicity and Ray, while they were a couple, seemed slightly poignant after seeing the Smokin' One finally chose Oliver at the end of the season.

I agree that "Legends of Tomorrow" is a pretty dreadful title... after all, it's hardly set far in the future judging by some of the now-familiar faces involved. I suppose the title "Justice League" wasn't available, and might have confused non DC readers... "Outsiders" might be a little too low-key?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in Contact All Sci-Fi. Cool

If anyone is interested in watching Supergirl (or any other program on a weekly basis) with fellow fans in All Sci-Fi's chat room, let me know and I'll have it open for us each week!

And even if you folks want to watch a show I don't watch regularly, anybody can establish a Kiwiirc chat room in 30 seconds flat! It's easy.

SuperBud

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this new article in io9 I instantly thought of this thread. They ponder at length the problem this show has of having an extremely familiar character as a major part of the series without ever actually having him fully visible or talking. You have to wonder if this won't wear thin after awhile.

http://io9.com/supergirl-has-a-superman-sized-problem-at-its-center-1741701633
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ever I see Supergirl being kicked around by a bad guy, the song "Rescue Me" by Fontella Bass starts running through my head, and sure enough Cuzin' Supie shows up to rescue her.

By the way, the last episode had a massive viewer drop ...

I don't expect this show to run more than 13 weeks.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're wrong, Randy. So far, I love it — although this past episode seemed like a step backwards, and it made be wonder if you might be right.

However, Variety is telling a different story. They had this say yesterday.

Monday was a good night for the DC Comics-inspired dramas "Supergirl" on CBS and "Gotham" on Fox, both of which edged up week to week and seemed to have contributed to declines for ABC's competing "Dancing With the Stars."

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many different ratings companies out there,it would depend on WHO'S ratings are taken by the network and/or the reviewer.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also switched episodes this week by having Kara battle Live Wire. Another episode was on deck to be broadcast but the CW felt that it had elements too close to the horrific tragedy in Paris that occurred & put this one on instead.

I can appreciate the sensitivity (political correctness?) of a network in circumstances such as this one.

However, I do wonder if they also have an attitude that the audience is so stupid as to equate whatever is in the un-aired episode with Paris?

SG is sf, the episode in question was made weeks ago prior to the Paris attack & has one has nothing to do with another.

We are bright enough to put that all together & not get our knickers in a knot over any of it.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITV in Britain are running a "Jeckyl and Hyde" tv serial on Sundays at the moment - and they held off on screening the fourth episode after Paris, as there was some shooting involved. It's something tv companies do, as there are sure to be some people who will complain about insensitivity...or so they think...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I do wonder if they also have an attitude that the audience is so stupid as to equate whatever is in the un-aired episode with Paris?

We are bright enough to put that all together & not get our knickers in a knot over any of it

With all due respect, sir, this isn't about intelligence. It's about emotions. None of use here in the U.S. would flinch during scenes of bombs going off in the fictitious "National City" of Supergirl -- but I'm pretty sure your average Parisian isn't quite so objective about this subject right now.

What if there was an episode in which a mad bomber killed hundreds of people during a marathon race -- and it aired a few days after the Boston Marathon bombing?

Like I said, this isn't about intelligence. It's about images that invoke fresh memories of a very real tragedy. A little time is needed to temper those memories.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
Actually she has a microphone attached to her ear. She's listening with her super-hearing. (I called the producer's office to find out.)

Just to put that humorous debate to rest, in the promos for episode 6, airing tomorrow, we see Supergirl flying through the city while talking on the phone with Cat Grant in the boss lady's limo.

Obviously, one of them must have phoned the other for that conversation to take place, so Kara's "microphone" would have to be a fully functioning cell phone to be interfacing with cell towers and the phone that Cat Grant is using.

Right?
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The writer obviously hadn't talked with the producer's office.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
The writer obviously hadn't talked with the producer's office.

I'm sure Butch will call the writers themselves next time -- or he could just call Supergirl, now that we know she has her own phone! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: