ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enterprise ships
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Enterprise ships Reply with quote

This is what the original Enterprise would look like in the new Star Trek movies
By Kwame Opam, The Verge

The original USS Enterprise (designation NCC-1701), designed in 1965, is a classic among Star Trek fans. So much so that when the designs for the revamped Enterprise in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot were revealed, certain of them were outraged. Why change something so iconic that so many grew up with?

Well, after a reboot deemed faithful to Trek heritage and a sequel that was a bit of a mess, it can't be denied that the scenes showing of the New Enterprise were extremely cool. The only thing that could improve on the formula would be taking Roddenberry's original and planting it in the new movies. Thankfully, graphic designer Nick Acosta did just that.

At a recent press event, the Smithsonian showed off the original 11-foot model of the Starship Enterprise. Acosta was at the event, and shot photos of the ship at different angles in order to re-composite the images in modern Star Trek film stills. Of course, pasting the images atop frames from Wrath of Khan or Star Trek Into Darkness wasn't enough. He had to get the lighting and texture just right to make the ship fit. As Acosta told Wired, each image took an average of eight hours to complete. It was clearly worth it.

Images courtesy Nick Acosta Imgur

BDT: Although I love the look of the Enterprise from Star Trek the Motion Picture, these photos look great. I think this story also appeared in Popular Mechanics magazine. Imgur

LINK:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8185787/star-trek-original-enterprise-new-movies

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the 1st season of Star Trek before going into the Air Force in 1967, and I bought a model of the Enterprise.

I loved the show. But I didn't really care for the starship's design.

I still don't, actually. The parts don't blend together they way I would like them too, and the nacelle supports look fragile. One good torpedo hit and they'd break off!

It looks like relatively simple shapes (a disk, two cylinders, two rectangular prisms, and an irregular semi-cone) glued together.

Too many seams between the parts.

Sorry, BDT. She just needs a bit of modifying.

The version we got in ST:TMP was only a little better. However, this version by talented modeler Koerner addresses the problems I mentioned.

But the most interesting variation on the Enterprise design I've ever seen is this one, a remarkably skillful blend of the original design (sort of) and the NX-01. Now this is a true beauty! Notice how much more structural sound everything looks, and how wonderfully complex the overall shape is, with various parts interconnected.

I love it!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing all the latter renditions of the Enterprise got wrong is the beautiful curvature of the underside of the saucer. It is that way for a reason. the saucer is what's called a "Redaldo wing." It is not really a wing, it's a parachute. The idea was that in an emergency the saucer would break off and it's shape would keep it stable and slow it down in the atmosphere.
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pye-Rate wrote:
One thing all the latter renditions of the Enterprise got wrong is the beautiful curvature of the underside of the saucer. It is that way for a reason. the saucer is what's called a "Redaldo wing." It is not really a wing, it's a parachute. The idea was that in an emergency the saucer would break off and it's shape would keep it stable and slow it down in the atmosphere.

Pye-Rate... do you have a source for that? I tried Google "Redaldo wing" and "Redaldo parachute" - but found nothing.

I always wondered why the underside of the Matt Jefferies Enterprise saucer was deformed like that. If this is a valid original design function... then the saucer-section was never intended to function as a true ant-gravity flying saucer.

Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean "Rogallo" wing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogallo_wing

WayneO
-----------
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Did you mean "Rogallo" wing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogallo_wing

I had one of those as a kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBMFBWDtoFo

David.
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss heard it, Rogallo is correct. Back in the 80's I saw an article about a disc RC airplane based on Rogallo. It flew flat and stable, turned on a penny and gave you change, loss of power it drifted gently to earth.

Another explanation of the concept is found in "The Spaceships of Ezekiel".
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice compositing of the original onto the new scenes.

Bud,

That version you liked, the refit NX-01, was designed by Doug Drexler who designed the original NX-01. The plan was to use this version of the ship in the fourth season of "Enterprise" but the show ended after season three so we never got to see it on screen. I built a model of this ship complete with lights. I'll post some images of it over in the model and diorama forum. I did quite a few composites of it using MS Paint too.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Koerner design is stimulating some unexpected physiological responses. (I think I'm in love.) Cool

WayneO
-----------
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
The Koerner design is stimulating some unexpected physiological responses. (I think I'm in love.) Cool

I've always liked Gabe Koerner's design. Kind of like the original Enterprise but on steroids. Would've been nice if JJ Abrams had used it in the reboot but instead we got a very futuristic but less balanced ship.

Here are some more images of Gabe's beauty...

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekriffic wrote:
Would've been nice if JJ Abrams had used it in the reboot but instead we got a very futuristic but less balanced ship.

I've mentioned before (stop me if you've heard this) that Abrams' interpretation made me think of things I have on my bathroom counter and in the medicine cabinet.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I saw the Abrams' version it reminded of the McDonald's Happy Meal toys they use to promote movies -- you know, with the proportions of the various parts exaggerated for the kiddies . . . to prevent them from becoming a choking hazard.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more specific, the warp nacelles look like the handles of electric toothbrushes, and the engineering hull looks like a flattened tube of toothpaste.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. that's good, Wayne! If Colgate gets word of this they'll start selling the Star Trek Oral Hygiene Super Kit, with toothbrush nacelles and toothpaste squirting out the back of the engineering section.

The saucer section will contain a huge roll of floss at least a light year in length!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
To be more specific, the warp nacelles look like the handles of electric toothbrushes, and the engineering hull looks like a flattened tube of toothpaste.

LOL. That's about right. It's a shame really. If Abrams had tweaked it just a bit more by reducing the size of the nacelles about 25% or so, moved the neck forward , and fattened up the engineering hull, it would've looked a heck of a lot better. I've seen this done graphically on other forums and it looks much more balanced. Something like this:

I'm sure Abrams would have had problems with this design though; too much like the Motion Picture Refit for his taste.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: