ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aelita: Queen of Mars (1924)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Aelita: Queen of Mars (1924) Reply with quote

Years back, I used to have a website. It was about my early researching of silent science fiction. The site eventually got too difficult to keep up what with finding of footage along the way, new info uncovered, etc.

On the main page this was the gist of the purpose of the whole darn thing:
"Frustrated in obtaining the actual films and in understanding others, I began seeking out source novels and plays, scripts, film catalog summaries and the like. This not only helped me fill in the gaps; it also helped me appreciate along the way some great "gaslight" authors. "

Anywho, to start things off... here's my 2002 mini-essay on Aelita:

"Aelita by Alexei N. Tolstoy

I grow fonder of the 1924 Russian film Aelita every time I watch it. All during my first viewing I just wanted the story to move along to the action on Mars. This does take a long time to happen. But upon repeating viewings, I get just as engrossed if not more because of the look the film provides on post-revolution Soviet economics and societal conditions.

Here's a brief comparison of the film and short novel (now read for the 2nd time):

SPOILERS

In the novel, Los is a widower.

In the film, a Soviet Commissar becomes friendly with his wife with and he kills her in a fit of jealousy.

In the novel, it is Los and the gung ho revolutionary soldier Gusev that travel to Mars. They do so merely because Los has invented an apparatus to travel there with no idea what they will find.

The film's voyagers include these two and as well as the comedic detective Kravtsev as a reluctant stowaway. Mars has already contacted Earth by this time.

The film adapts the books main points concerning the events on Mars. Los becomes enamored with Aelita. A revolt ferments amongst the Martian workers, There is a power struggle between Aelita and "dictator" Tuskub thrown into the mix.

The novel does not end in a dream as does the film. Instead Los returns to Earth to be haunted by Aelita's memory. Although I've even grown to forgive somewhat this copout ending, Aelita on the screen would have been improved in keeping this finale intact.

written: 5/19/2002"

I've since found out that a better translation of the novel has been done. One day, I'll track it down.

Steve

Zackuth
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard about Aelita years ago and finally tracked down a copy of the movie 5 or 6 years ago. I enjoyed it a lot even with a lot of Soviet propaganda in the movie (I'll have to dig it out and watch it again). I did not know this was based on a short story.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless my soul, good old Youtube has this entire movie. I'd love to know how the picture quality compares to the version you have. Is it just as good?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Joyce
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Bless my soul, good old Youtube has this entire movie. I'd love to know how the picture quality compares to the version you have. Is it just as good?

It's been a while since I looked at the DVD but I would say that the DVD is even better. Meanwhile, to go off tangent (just a bit), much of the sci fi cinema from the Soviet Union was very propaganda laden...but maybe nothing so much as this bizarre Russian Science Fantasy animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuIFEyK4YEU
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, that weird eight minute film is an animated acid trip! And I was surprised by all the blatant (and lewd) sexual elements.

I can't imagine what the message of this film was supposed to be — although the "Capitalism is dead!" subtitle was probably the gist of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: