ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) Reply with quote

Roger Corman was executive producer for this enjoyable and wonderfully campy sci-fi version of The Magnificent Seven. It even features Robert Vaughn as the same lost-his-nerve gunslinger he played in the original.

George Peppard is "Cowboy", a space-going gunrunner with a Western fixation (another tribute to The Magnificent Seven). John Saxon is the ruthless Sador, the leader of a roving band of marauders who serve the same purpose in the story as the banditos in the Western version.

John Sayles' script is loaded with fine humor. Director Jimmy T. Murakami obviously knew his film history, since the planet being attacked is called "Akir" -- a tribute to director Akira Kurasowa of Seven Samurai, the inspiration for the original of this interesting trio of films.

Waltons star Richard Thomas plays the brave young man who leaves his besieged home world to find mercenaries who can fight against planet-conquering John Saxon.

Sybil Danning is a feisty female warrior with a costume that defies description.

Sam Jaffe (The Day the Earth Stood Still) has a great part. The special effects look a bit dated now, but that isn't the film's fault.

Darlene Flugel is the attractive romantic interest for Thomas.

James Horner's rousing score is a golden plus. Sci-fi fans considered the film a rip-off when first released because it came out between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back -- stiff competition. Watch it as a double feature with The Magnificent Seven and you're guaranteed a good time.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:59 pm; edited 14 times in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Thomas's ship is called Nell. Nell's design is very organic, based on the human female form, in case you hadn't noticed.
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Beyond the Stars - (1980) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Roger Corman was executive producer for this enjoyable and wonderfully campy sci-fi version of The Magnificent Seven. It even features Robert Vaughn as the same lost-his-nerve gunslinger he played in the original.

When I saw this in the movie, I had to laugh. Back in the 70s, Robert Vaughn did a commercial for DAD'S ROOTBEER, where he made fun of his "Man From U.N.C.L.E." image. The commercial showed him, clothed in a tuxedo, tied to a throne-style chair, which he escapes from. "DAD'S ROOTBEER, with the taste that never makes me cry...Uncle". I often wonder, if someone remembered the commercial, and filmed his entrance to make fun of the commercial.

His pistol was made from a KENNER Storm Trooper gun, altered to have a bazooka look. All the ray guns in the movie were made from toys.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekriffic wrote:
Richard Thomas's ship is called Nell. Nell's design is very organic, based on the human female form, in case you hadn't noticed.

Oh yes indeed, we noticed. It's an amazing design, making the lady-parts obvious but not making the ship look ridiculous. I love it.

I must have search the web for twenty minutes looking a really good picture of Nell that showed off her gorgeous figure. I didn't like any of the ones I found, so I left the job of posting a worthy shot of the ship to you guys.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon May 23, 2016 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekriffic wrote:

Nell is reported to have been designed and built by James Cameron.

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will these do? This is the actual filming model.

]

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
This is the actual filming model.

Cool! How big is model?

When the movie came on cable, my Dad took one look at Nell and commented: It looks like a naked woman swan diving. Laughing

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the studio notes about 4 feet long.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
Will these do? This is the actual filming model.

They certainly will do, Miss Eadie — and thank you profusely! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
Will these do?

This is the actual filming model.

Yes indeedy Miss Eadie! Great Pics!
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Godfather Butch has other pictures of all the other ship models. Do you want me to find and post them?
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
My Godfather Butch has other pictures of all the other ship models. Do you want me to find and post them?

Please do!

WayneO
-----------
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To steal a line from Mel Brook's comedy classic "Young Frankenstein," after seeing Nell: "What knockers!"
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the model is four feet long, eh? Interesting. In metric units that's 1.2 meters. Or to put it another way, it's a 38 DD. Very Happy

I found several enjoyable Youtube videos pertaining to this movie, and they really got me in the mood for our Friday feature. Have fun with these. You can start with this one, the title them to the movie by James Horner.

___Main Title - James Horner - Battle Beyond The Stars

* Neil Marshall, self-styled film expert, has nice things to the say about the movie.

______ Neil Marshall on BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS

* John Saxon and Sybil Danning give a terrific interview at the noisy, energetic Comic-Con. It's fun to watch.

Battle Beyond the Stars Comic-Con Exclusive: John Saxon and Sybil Danning

* I was delighted to find this video of the full movie, with a reasonably good picture, no subtitles, and in English! Download this with Savefrom.net and watch it on your TV during the upcoming All Sci-Fi's Friday Live Chat!

___________ Battle Beyond The Stars @ Youtube

* If you saw this movie for the first time on the NBC world TV premiere in 1983, this original promo might invoke a few nostalgic memories (and remind you how bad VHS tape was.) Very Happy

__ NBC Movie intro for Battle Beyond the Stars 1983

* Creating this post got me excited about watching the movie on Frday, so I looked up the review for the Blu-Ray disc, and it was so positive that I bought the BD! It will arrive Wednesday. If you don't own it, order now! Operators are standing by. Very Happy

_Battle Beyond The Stars - Shout Factory Blu-ray Promo

_____________________ This is gonna be fun, guys!

____

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:47 am; edited 7 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like this movie, you might enjoy the post I made for its inspiration, The Magnificent Seven.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: