ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek Continues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Star Trek Continues Reply with quote

Star Trek Continues-First Episode
by Matt Wright, TrekMovie

The fan production Star Trek Continues, a new TOS era fan film led by anime voice actor Vic Mignogna as Kirk and features Chris Doohan as Mr. Scott (his Dad's old job), Trek author Larry Nemecek, and Mythbuster Grant Imahara as Mr. Sulu, has now completed their first episode Pilgrim Of Eternity. As previously reported, it features the return of original actor Michael Forest as Apollo.
...the official website: http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

Click the link to read the full story and see the episode.
LINK:
http://trekmovie.com/2013/05/30/fan-production-star-trek-continues-releases-first-episode/

BDT: I just finished watching the episode linking the laptop to the tv and it looked great; it is about 51 minutes. It is very much in the style of the original series TV show. The Kirk character was fine;his voice was a little high. The Spock character in this episode didn't make much of an impression.

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Star Trek Continues: First Episode Reviewed-I09 Reply with quote

Star Trek Continues: First Episode Reviewed
from I09

It's not often that a fan-produced piece of work comes off with such spectacular shine and love for its inspiration. The cast here does a fantastic job of both channeling their original counterparts and building their own subtle interpretations of the characters.....

http://observationdeck.io9.com/star-trek-continues-my-mind-she-is-blown-1178932959
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Trek continues Reply with quote

I watched the first episode and the vignettes (3 of 'em) earlier today. My first impression: impressive.

In regard to the actors, the ones replaying Kirk and Scotty were excellent; the ones reinterpreting Spock and McCoy were... ' meh.'

Vic as Kirk did an uncanny impersonation of Kirk, circa 1967-Shatner. This may sound pretentious & presumptive, but I think Vic (the actor & director) 'gets' the original Star Trek, as someone who only gets it by watching it religiously and studying it. This is manifested in his speech pattern and movements, particularly in the way he mimicked Shatner as Kirk walking into a room, for example. In some long shots, he really looks like Shatner/Kirk from 1967, to the point that I had to remind myself that I was watching an update, not an original episode. His body shape is incredibly similar to the sixties Kirk. This was probably a calculated effort on his part - to recreate Kirk of the sixties - but the important thing is, it worked.

As for Chris Doohan as Scotty, I suppose he was expected to successfully recreate his father's character. He fulfilled expectations, if so. But, as had been already said, the actor playing Spock doesn't make much of an impression. He was pretty dull - that might be the primary danger in trying to play an emotionless character. The McCoy actor just had no resemblance to the real McCoy. I think he was also a writer of this new show, and there was a different McCoy actor in the short vignettes that were filmed before. So, maybe they just couldn't find a suitable McCoy actor for the episode.

Still, it's nearly impossible to recapture the true Star Trek spirit of the sixties so late in the game, so the way they succeeded with half the actors (I also like Uhura) and the directing, writing and photography is very impressive. I was also impressed with Michael Forrest - I didn't read the details of the story & guest cast before watching, so was really surprised to see him. He really came through in this reprise of his role. My only quibble is the way he was credited at the end - I expected to see his name on the screen as the big guest star; instead he was merely listed with all the other bit players... I dunno why they did the credits at the end that way. Confused
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Fan Film Review: Star Trek Continues "The White Iris&qu Reply with quote

Fan Film Review: Star Trek Continues "The White Iris"
by Robert Lyons, TrekMovie

After an opening blow to the head during Federation membership talks, James Kirk is forced to navigate some very personal waters in order to save a planet which finds itself firmly in its neighbor's targeting sights.

Star Trek Continues, now on its fourth episode, has quickly become a leading Star Trek fan film. Filming on one of two nearly complete TOS sets in the United States (Star Trek: Phase II / New Voyages has the other nearly complete set) gives a degree of instant association with the revered classic series, but jeweled blinkies and matching carpeting and paint chips will only get you so far. Story is deeply important to most Star Trek fans, and in this respect, "The White Iris" certainly delivers.

In the episode, Kirk (Vic Mignogna) is representing the Federation to the planet Chalcis, whose leader, Minister Amphidamas (Colin Baker, the Sixth Doctor from Doctor Who), is deeply concerned over the threat posed by neighboring Aretria, who oppose Chalcis' appeal for Federation membership.

In the wake of an attack on Chalcis, Kirk returns to the Enterprise where an experimental drug leads to a recovery. Of course, a simple recovery would be too much to ask — and Kirk's is complicated by a breakdown between visions of the past and realities of the present as he struggles to work with his crew and the Chalcins to avert destruction on a global scale.

Kirk must use an experimental drug to recover from an attack

In looking at the main cast, Vic Mignogna has quickly hit his stride as James Kirk. In "The White Iris", he is able to deftly balance his own take on Kirk while, at the same time, honoring Shatner's portrayal of the starship commander. In the episode, one gets the impression that Mignoga may well have drawn on the Kirk of the feature films for inspiration in adapting himself to his temporary "issues", especially as the episode draws to its emotional climax.

Todd Haberkorn continues to grow and develop as Spock. He was the hardest of the Continues crew to really warm up to in the role, at least for me. His turn in "Fairest of Them All" really helped me to accept him in the Spock role, and this time around, essentially nothing about his performance took me away from the episode. He has arrived as Spock.

Chuck Huber, now two episodes (and some vignettes) into his role as McCoy seems to be finding a strong groove. His delivery in the McCoy role is a bit more subtle than DeForest Kelley's, but on the whole, his performance is strong enough so as not to detract from the overall quality of the episode.

Dr. McCoy (Huber) offers the Captain a bit of the best medicine — brandy

Chris Doohan, STC's Scotty, felt somewhat underused in this episode. His initial "beam up" call and subsequent dialogue in sickbay felt a bit overdone, but his pacing and delivery settled over the episode, to the point where, by the end, he felt smoother than in past outings.

The supporting players also turn in strong performances — Grant Imahara's Sulu still takes a bit of getting used to; his delivery still comes across as being a little too much impersonation, but one can tell he has made continual efforts. It was nice to see Kipleigh Brown return as Lieutenant Smith in a second episode.

Michelle Specht's comfort in the role of Dr. MacKenna is obvious. Her presentation in this outing is more subtle at the right times, though finding her in a consultation with Spock and McCoy is still a little jarring — especially in a consultation about Kirk. Specht is fortunate to be a newly-developed character for the series, which ensures that her take on a twenty-third century psychologist finds a comfortable spot quickly....

Michelle Specht as the beautiful Dr. MacKenna

...While the story is outstanding, the emotional tenor of "The White Iris" feels slightly out of place in Year 4 of the original five year mission. Kirk feels like he is at a point of development between the events of the first two feature films. It's hard to simply chalk that up to a whack to the head which, frankly, as probably the weakest element of the entire episode. Though I am not a physician, I do work in a hospital full time, and so I am well versed enough in medicine (and, since my facility has it, trauma medicine) to have been less than convinced by both the injury and the cure provided. Kirk's speedy physical recovery was almost too fast, and should have been accompanied by a far more insistent McCoy tirade than it got. I can't help but feel that a different injury or dramatic vehicle could have been more effectively used as the catalyst for Kirk's situation.

Of course, we at TrekMovie would be remiss if we didn't acknowledge the brief cameo spot our own resident scientist Kayla Iacovino filled in "The White Iris". (And here I thought that Lieutenant Iacovino was busy aboard the Starship Endeavour over in the Star Trek: Seekers series — perhaps she's got a transporter-produced duplicate!)

Back to the development course being taken by Star Trek Continues (and, for that matter, by Star Trek Phase II/New Voyages), the time will have to come when we are given a clear indication as to whether the fan films are intended to spin off into their own universe independent of the evolution of the feature films, or if they are to full circle back to the return of the Enterprise to spacedock for her major refit. Kirk's emotional development in Continues on the surface makes one feel like it will become a different universe, but to my knowledge, the goal remains to simply conclude the 5 year mission.

On the whole, "The White Iris" joins a fine lineup of Star Trek Continues episodes that are deserving of broad support. These episodes join a rich heritage of thoughtful and conscientious science fiction that has borne the Star Trek mantle for 50 years. Hopefully, we get 50 more, and then some!

Watch episode at this link.

LINK:
http://trekmovie.com/2015/06/09/fan-film-review-star-trek-continues-the-white-iris/

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overhead shot of Star Trek Continues bridge

from Treks in Sci-fi

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great picture!

bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Trek Continues:Come Not Between the Dragons

A troubled creature pierces the Enterprise hull, pitting the crew against a pursuer that threatens to tear them apart.

Director: Julian Higgins
Writers: James Kerwin (teleplay by), Vic Mignogna
Stars: Vic Mignogna, Todd Haberkorn, Chuck Huber

Episode 6 and probably the best episode yet:D
3 LINKS AVAILABLE:

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSFHGyLYQ-c

https://vimeo.com/165431813

special guest stars - Gigi Edgely and Michele Specht

special guest star - Gigi Edgely

special guest star - Gigi Edgely

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review: Star Trek Continues — Come Not Between the Dragons
Bill Watters, TrekMovie

The Star Trek Continues crew has come out with their sixth episode, Come Not Between the Dragons. STC as a production continues to battle it out with New Voyages for setting the bar on production quality, and this episode is no different in that respect. It's a more intimate episode, with the action effectively only on board the Enterprise, which expresses the level of confidence that the writers are putting in their cast to carry the episodes rather than on extended SFX or away missions.

The episode opens with the Enterprise finding out that the USS Lexington has been scuttled, leaving the Federation with a mere handful of starships remaining. A few beats later and an apparent meteorite traveling at near light speed has impacted and breached the hull. As damage reports begin to come in, it becomes clear that the ship has been boarded, and Ensign Elize Taylor (player by Farscape's Gigi Edgely) encounters the alien intruder in her quarters. As the crew struggles to communicate with the apparently-stone creature (think of a smaller by chunky version of Gorignak from Galaxy quest, with an amazing creature design & costume by) the creature begins to influence the emotions of the ship's crew. Spock is the most impacted, going into a full rage, with the rest of the crew becoming violent and suspicious of everyone around them. From there the story unfolds as they try to deal with the invader before they kill each other.

Fans of the various original series will recall how it took a while for the show to find it's groove, and solidly in the groove is where the cast and crew of STC currently resides. The episode is polished, well made, and has progressively more of the genuine feeling of a late 1st season/2nd season TOS episode. The acting is more balanced all around, and great guest stars like Gigi helps to up everyone's game. The various name characters seem to be evolving into more of the various actor's own takes on their characters rather than the more straightforward impersonations of the first episodes. It's that comfortable in their own character's skins evolution which continue to make the episodes feel more genuine (as it was with their prior episode 5: Divided We Stand).

Early on it was mentioned that the series is very much a group of fan's homage to their love of the original series. Now it's less of that homage, and more of making it their own and adding onto that original show's legacy. A special commendation for this episode must go to Greg Dykstra (no relation to John Dykstra) and Distortions Unlimited for the making of the alien creatures in this episode. It's easily the most original (and best) alien design of any of the independent Trek projects that have yet come along, and would have easily fit into the original TOS or TNG. Plus, I love any time that Trek has an alien that's not just a facial prosthetic.

If there's any particular weakness to this latest episode, it's more in some of the writing and construction. The initial scene with the discussion of the Lexington, and the Federation only having 8 ships remaining would rather be a big deal, is never touched on again. The way it's introduced into the episode, the viewer is always wondering if the aliens are somehow tied into it's destruction, but it's just left hanging after that first scene — and why one would scuttle a ship being hit by a plasma jet while studying an accretion disk? If it's not being hit by enemies, and not already destroyed — rescue the crew and tow the ship to dock. The episode's moral message also is a bit more contrived than one might have expected from STC's writers (that the alien would be able to directly relate to Eliza's childhood experiences and translate them to it's own situation was the roughest part of the episode).

Yea, the "aliens control/affect the crew causing them to act atypically," is an oft-used Trek trope, however this is very much TOS-Trek, so that as a storyline is not out of character. There's a desire to see modern writing applied to STC episodes, but then that would probably change the tone and flavor too much off of what they're trying to achieve. The episode isn't the greatest, it's not the most riveting, but it's good. It's solid. It feels like you're watching one of those 2nd season episodes — not I, Mudd, A Piece of the Action, or Trouble with Tribbles — but rather more like By Any Other Name, or the Deadly Years; at the end of it you'll find that you've enjoyed it, and are looking forward to where they go next.

This episode is in the All Sci-fi movie room.

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: New Episode 7 "Embracing the Winds" Reply with quote

NEW episode !

Star Trek Continues E07 "Embracing the Winds"

While the Enterprise is sent on a seemingly routine mission, Kirk is recalled to starbase where he faces an ethical dilemma that challenges the very core of Starfleet Command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMasSzFXaKQ
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldogtrekker and I watched it yesterday while chatting on Facebook. We were both disappointed.

The big deal "ethical dilemma that challenges the very core of Starfleet Command" was just a cute blond who instigated legal proceedings, accusing Starfleet of not making her a captain because she was a woman. (Commander Garrett was played by Clare Kramer.)

A women's rights courtroom drama. Zzzzzz . . . .

"Captain KissyLips, the dylithium cystals can't take anymore!"

Erin Gray (from Buck Rogers) played Commodore Gray, but they put the poor woman in a short TOS outfit. The original series did NOT make elderly ladies parade around in outfits intended for the sexy young gals. And Erin doesn't quiet look like Wilma Derring anymore. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:25 am; edited 4 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review: Star Trek Continues — "Embracing The Winds" By: Rich Schepis

.... Star Trek Continues seventh episode, Embracing the Winds, wades directly into the debate of gender, much like The Original Series did with race and the proliferation of nuclear weapons. At issue in the episode is whether or not a woman is capable of commanding a constitution class starship, something audiences could not see occur in the late 1960's, despite Gene Roddenberry populating his bridge crew with a diverse group of characters.

Filming from an excellent script, written by James Kerwin and Vic Mignogna, the episode does not shy away from the difficult acknowledgement that individual bias towards gender as well as individual motivations may have lent a role in holding back capable female officers in the 23rd century. It is one of several nods to the TOS by the writers in this episode, in the 60's network executives did not believe its audience would accept a woman serving as first officer on a starship. Although today, the series may seem sexist to its modern-day audience's values, Roddenberry was limited in what parts of his agenda he could push (including the portrayal of openly LGBT characters), and yet was still able to make many social statements with the casting of his crew — most notably Nichelle Nichols' Uhura and Leonard Nimoy's Spock, who could also be considered a proxy for the female prejudice as he was an alien species.

Brave is the word to best describe the role in which Kerwin and Mignogna placed the episode's protagonists, as Kirk and Spock address their own personal feelings in regards to their own bias and motivations. However, the standout and most courageous performance has to go to Clare Kramer's portrayal of Commander Diana Garrett, who is appealing Starfleet's decision to pass her over for command of her own starship, in favor of a man (once again highlighting the embarrassment of riches STC enjoys with its guest stars). While Commodore Gray, once again played by Erin Gray, acknowledges that decisions in regards to gender have been made in Starfleet due to its alliances...

Audiences may be quick to judge events as it unfolds, and sometimes the writing does appear to get a bit heavy handed, hitting viewers over the head with this issue. But, that is the beauty of the script, while Garrett, McKennah and even Spock all realize the issue at hand, all in the character's decisions are not as simple as it seems, especially in the case of Garrett.

Brilliantly painting a seemingly-hostile Garrett in a corner, it is wonderful to watch the writers and Kramer wiggle out of it as the episode ultimately realizes its main theme. Sadly, Star Trek Continues is providing stronger story content than TOS did during its third and final season, which is a testament to Mignogna and his writing staff. It is interesting to consider whether or not the show would have dodged cancellation once again if the quality of writing was up to par with STC's efforts.

Meanwhile, the episode's "B" story, which does tie directly into the episode's main plot itself, gives Wyatt Lenhart's Chekov the opportunity to shine.....

Easter eggs litter the episode like tribbles mating on K-7. First, the writing crew revisits its own past episodes, including Lolani — which would seem to be a direct prequel to this episode, as well as when Security Officer Drake lost his arm. Additional nods include the obvious to Garrett's namesake, as well as planet references, a terrific nod to George Takei's personal past, and more.

Any review of the episode would be remiss in not pointing out the dignified and restrained performance of Todd Haberkorn in the role of Spock. Mignogna has admitted in previous interviews that Haberkorn was looking to put his own spin on the role when he was cast. Mignogna however was adamant that the role be played consistent with Nimoy's portrayal. Still, Haberkorn is given some terrific moments as he contemplates his own embarrassment in regards to motivation. There is also a superb exchange between he and a fellow Vulcan while the appeal trial continues that addresses Spock's character origins.

Embracing the Winds does seem to be an excellent title, as it not only notes the potential social change Starfleet and the Federation is being forced to address, much like American society today, but also a subtle nod that STC has an expiration date. Mignogna's stated goal of the series was to tell the stories of the fourth and fifth years of the Enterprise's five-year mission, but also serve as a bridge between TOS and Star Trek The Motion Picture. With CBS/Paramount appearing to shut the door on fan productions that not do not meet a specific criteria, audiences will have to hold out hope that Mignogna and company will get to finish its own mission.

LINK for full story: http://trekmovie.com/2016/09/10/review-star-trek-continues-embracing-the-winds/

BDT: The episode was well made, but the A story and the B story never went anywhere.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen or heard anything new from this team since the issuance of Paramount's guidelines.
The last entry on their blog was in August so it may be that the series is over.

I know that one of the stage complexes has been sold and opened as a tourist attraction in Georgia, but nothing official from the company.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent announcement from the crew at STAR TREK CONTINUES reveals that there WILL be more episodes forthcoming!

"The announcement you've all been waiting for!

As CBS/Paramount has made clear, the guidelines are not laws; they are general parameters applied on a case-by-case basis. Since the implementation of the guidelines, we have stopped all crowdfunding activities and have focused strictly on completing the four episodes which had already been funded as of that time by fans' donations to our 501(c)(3) non-profit. STAR TREK CONTINUES has always followed any and all instructions given to us by CBS regarding our production, and will continue to do so.

At the beginning of 2016, STAR TREK CONTINUES ran a successful fundraising campaign to produce the final episodes of our fan series. As promised, we've spent your hard-earned donations to our non-profit production company exactly as we said we would and have been working around-the-clock to finish our final four episodes as quickly as possible.

Episodes 9, 10, and 11 are still in post-production and will be released throughout the year as they are completed. Episode 8 -- "Still Treads the Shadow" -- guest-stars Rekha Sharma ("Battlestar Galactica") and will premiere at Fan Expo Dallas on Saturday, April 1.

Recent developments necessitate our finishing up sooner than we intended, but it was always our goal to bring The Original Series to a conclusion. With our final four episodes, we will have done that. It's been an amazing five years creating this series, and we will miss making it. But all good things...

CBS is not responsible for the decision to end the series. We are doing 11 episodes instead of 13 because another fan group took advantage of the good graces of the copyright holders forcing them to protect their property and the interests of their license holders. In deference and gratitude to CBS, we are wrapping up earlier than planned. We always have stood, and continue to stand, with CBS.

We have even more amazing guest stars in these last episodes, culminating in a thrilling series finale by acclaimed science fiction author Robert J. Sawyer.

We want to thank each of you for your patience while we've been busy, and also for your support and encouragement throughout our run. It is our sincere pleasure to be bringing a conclusion to our beloved original series of STAR TREK at long last.

Live Long and Prosper."

Edited from their website.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new episode has been downloaded to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQeO5uuUbH4

Star Trek Continues E08 "Still Treads the Shadow"
The Enterprise discovers a lost starship... with an unlikely passenger.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent "Star Trek: Continues" fan film titled, "Still Treads the Shadow" guest stars Rekha Sharma, who was just announced to be playing security office Landry on the upcoming "Star Trek: Discovery." How cool is that!
Check out this awesome episode below to see how well she fits into the Trek universe.

LINK:
http://treksinscifi.com/podcast_notes/?p=4009

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: