ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earth vs the Flying Saucers (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, won't tell a soul, Morbius.

My childhood terror was any creature that could fit through a doorway.

WayneO
-----------
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
I, for one, won't tell a soul, Morbius.

My childhood terror was any creature that could fit through a doorway.

Well thank you.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongopete wrote:
The movie at first seems rather shallow (not in a bad way) 1950's scifi manner. Yet as several of us here on All Sci-Fi have discussed previously, in picking the story apart there IS some rather interesting things that could have been going on in the movie's story that we didn't see.

A hardy "Here! Here!" from me for that comment from Bongopete . . . who has made 74 great posts on All Sci-Fi!

But this one was made back on Dec 18th, 2013, which was right after Randy and I established the new version of All Sci-Fi and then locked it up while we all waited for the one that had been around since 2007 to finally crash when our free forum host went out of business. Sad

In fact, all 74 of Bongopete's posts were made on the new board during the first four days it was in existence, from Dec 17th to Dec 20th, 2013! He must have copied his posts to the new board so they wouldn't be lost when the old board finally crashed . . . which finally happened three months later in March 2014.

But Bongopete never returned to the new board Randy and I created, so we haven't heard from him since December 20th, 2013.

I have his email address on my list of ASF members, so he's been mailed all the messages I've sent to the members in the last five years, and none of them have ever come back as "undelivered".

So . . . where in the world is our good friend Bongopete? Shocked

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Bottom line is that this is a great movie! It's a perfect example of the best of the 50's presentation of its' genre. The pacing, the direction, and the casting of this film was iconic, and an example of what made the concepts of UFOs, extraterrestrials and the unknown shadows of our existence made manifest in celluloid.

This was a film that effected me as a 10 year old and still maintains its power after 60 years.

Thanks Ray....You did good!

Gord's impassioned declaration from almost one year ago is my feeling exactly about this fine sci-fi movie.

The less-enthusiastic comments I've read about it which claim the story lacks depth are made by the kind of folks who lack both the intelligence and imagination to read between the lines and "think outside the plot" so they can appreciate the true beauty of his great film.

I still think my own ideas for sequel similar to Independence Day 2 would make a great movie!

Earth USES the Flying Saucers!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this movie cries out for a sequel. Remember the last lines of dialoque in the film?

"Do you think they'll be back?"

"Maybe.....But not on such a nice day!"

As they run into the surf on a beautiful deserted beach.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite 50s films for several reasons.

The first is the story, which is highly underrated. The movie spends most of it's running time showing us spectacular scenes of saucers cruising through the skies —

— but the plot exposition delivers enough for intelligent viewers to understand that a complex story makes up the background for this movie.

Aliens from "a disintegrated" solar system came to Earth and tried to conquer it without causing global destruction, the way the Martians did in War of the Worlds.

Why? The reason is obvious.

These aliens had a limited number of ships, and they hoped mankind could be tricked into surrendering after a few threatening messages and small-scale demonstrations of their power.

The beauty of this great film is the way mankind called their bluff! Our scientist were able to figure out how to develop counter-weapons which brought down the alien saucers when they attacked Washington D.C. and caused massive damage with the one weapon they had!

As a result, we repelled the invaders and chased away the remaining ships. And we ended up with several saucers that didn't appear to be too badly damage — which meant we could reverse engineer the alien technology and be even more ready for them if they ever tried to attack us again.

Name a single other sci-fi movie with a concept as imaginative, upbeat, and sequel-ready as that! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combining the public's fascination with UFOs with a War of the Worlds threat, this earlier version of Independence Day (1996) is a treat for sci-fi fans and Ray Harryhausen fans alike. The only aspect I wasn't too thrilled about were the alien suits - not the clunky construction or look of them, but that bullets were able to penetrate them and down the alien wearers. It was established in another scene that the suits are composed of something like 'solidified electricity' and were nearly impervious to just about anything. So, I don't understand this strange contradiction.

Otherwise, what a blast. Harryhausen manipulating these saucers, whether against some stock footage backdrop or models, was flawless. The last act, when the alien invaders seem to just decide 'OK, the hell with it, we're gonna blast Earth and all its denizens to free-floating particles and be done with it' is science fiction war, no-holds barred, free-for-all spectacular destruction as should be done. I'm sure this inspired Ed Wood partly for his magnum opus Plan 9 From Outer Space. Now, if only Ed knew how to paint the wires holding up the saucers correctly.

BoG's Score: 7 out of 10

Flying Saucers Trivia:

........FX by... RAY HARRYHAUSEN Exclamation WHAT MORE NEED BE SAID?
(HOWEVER, THIS IS APPARENTLY HARRYHAUSEN'S LEAST FAVORITE OF HIS FILMS Sad )

THERE IS FOOTAGE IN THIS FILM TAKEN FROM ROCKETSHIP X-M,
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL & WAR OF THE WORLDS;
------------------------------------------------------CAN YOU SPOT IT?

Chuck Norris watches this film on TV during a break from killing terrorists in Invasion USA (1985)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God! Where did Bogmeister find that amazing GiF? I love it! It's mesmerizing! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This YouTube video isn't especially well done, but it does show some imagination, so you'll enjoy it if you don't expect too much. Rolling Eyes

_________Earth vs The Flying Saucers Revealed!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius wrote:
Many years ago, when I was a child the local theater had a double billing of “I Married a Monster from Outer Space” and “The Blob”.

The blob began and . . . .When it got to the scene where the old man was lying in the doctor’s office and you can see the blanket move as the rest of his body was enveloped and consumed like a jelly fish, well that was just too much for me.

I was so frightened I had to ask my mother to leave.

Morbius, you have no idea how much the members of this board (especially ME) love a personal anecdote like yours! Your brain is our Time Machine, and we want to journey back to those bygone years just as often as you'll let us!

So, anytime you visit All Sci-Fi

All Sci-Fi member Rick has enthralled us with several of his wonderful childhood tales like yours, and he's learned that we can NOT get enough of them. In fact, I told him I was going to put all his posts together and have them published!

I even created the cover for the book! Cool

Hey, here's a happy thought! Share with us as many memories like the one above that you can recall, and I'll put them in that book, too! You and Rick can share the royalties. I'll be your agent, for a mere 80/20 split! Very Happy

Okay . . . 60/40. Confused

Damn, you drive a hard bargain. Make it 50/50. Sad

All right, I give up! I'll work for the standard 15%! Shocked

But when you and Rick go on the talk shows to promote the book, you both have to wear the official All Sci-Fi T-shirt like this one.

What about it, Morbius baby? Do we gotta deal or what? Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The political correctness nuts are loose in the U.K.

I just noticed something interesting about Amazon's listings for 2 different Blu-ray releases of EvFS. Both are by Sony and have the same extras. As far as I can tell, they are equivalent in all ways including picture quality, except as noted below.

In the listing for the all-region U.K. Blu-ray (currently $20.04), Amazon's Product Details tells us "Parents Strongly Cautioned". Furthermore, this particular release contains a warning on the back cover reading "Contains mild threat", and it's rated PG-13. That's right, overprotected 12-year-old British kids are not supposed to view this movie. It's also 2 minutes shorter than the U.S. version (it's 81 minutes long per the back cover), leaving me to wonder if they removed 2 minutes of destructo-beams and destroyed capital landmarks.
( https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B076XBDYGS/ )

Conversely, the U.S. release of the movie (now only available in used condition for $9.99) contains no printed warning, and the Product Details give no strong cautions against any kind of nefarious evil, and it is "Not Rated". It is 83 minutes long and is for region A/1 only.
( https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Flying-Saucers-Joan-Taylor/dp/B076XBDYGS )

(If anyone has the U.K. version, I would sure like to know where that missing 2 minutes went)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
If anyone has the U.K. version, I would sure like to know where that missing 2 minutes went.

Good gawd a'mighty, that's a helluva long time in "movie minutes"! If those British bozos cut out any of the special effects, I think we should give America's new Space Force their first mission by ordering them nuke Big Ben from orbit!

(It's the only way to be sure, according to Ripley.)

After all, the Bible says, "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and a landmark for a landmark, dammit!"

Wait a minute! I'll bet those guys cut out THIS scene! Shocked

I think we should delay our retaliatory strike until Dr. Hugh Marlow and his team of scientists repair all those saucers that crashed in Washington and then send our boys from the United States Space Force over to London and REALLY scare the hell out of those silly sissy boys! Twisted Evil

Our Space Force soldiers will be wearing an improved version of the aliens' suits. (They're quite comfortable, and stylish in both summer and winter. Wink)

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit where credit is due, Gord. Here's what you said a while back about b&w movies being colorized. Your take on the subject is well expressed. Cool

Gord Green wrote:
It's definitely a matter of taste; as well as the quality of the colorization job.

I'm not that much of a purist that I would rule out the enjoyment I can sometimes get from the new version.

Another one I enjoyed was the colorized RADAR MEN FROM THE MOON . I've got copies of the B&W originals, as well as the serials they came from so to me it was just a diversion. I have a couple of copies of the B&W EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS and I saw the film when it came out in the 50's, so the color version was not my only impression of the film.

Bottom line for me is that the colorized versions are just a extension of the diversity of enjoyment available.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a deal to me.

One more, from my pond.

Larger at http://www.mrgodzilla.com/misc/HP1a.jpg
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several posts on page 1 of this thread by Bongopete present some fascinating speculations concerning the true nature of this alien invasion movie.

Here's a few points which Bongopete made that really impressed me. I recommend that anyone who enjoys this movie read Bongpete's entire posts.

Bongopete wrote:
I think I can only remember one line from the movie in which the aliens actually say anything about coming here to take over.

[On the spaceship] when Marvin [asks them] why don't they just land and 'take over', the alien makes an interesting comment . . . [They state that they would be] tied up trying to put down revolts . . . leaving them Masters of a starving planet . . ..

Apparently the aliens want us to accept them peacefully.

[What if it happened this way instead.]

They fly over Marvin in his car and ask him to meet them the next day at Operation Skyhook.

They land the next day and meet with Marvin. They explain that they are the survivors of a destroyed solar system and are refugees. They ask Marvin to set up a meeting with the leaders in Washington.

This meeting would have given us, the viewer, details as to WHAT the aliens want!!

They are never given a chance to explain. WE assume that they are there to take over.

Did Earth miss an opportunity with these aliens? They were ancient . . . and possibly not capable of procreation . . . if so, we would have been their descendants and left with all the tech goodies.

This interpretation (a very plausible one, in fact) means this movie was not about ruthless aliens who wanted to enslave mankind. They were asking for help, although they didn't do it very well, starting with the way they screwed up the delivery of their initial message.

Mankind also screwed up right off the bat by opening firing on the saucer before it did anything threatening or destructive — never realizing that the aliens thought they had "called ahead" and were expecting to discuss their problem with Dr. Marvin!

The whole thing was caused by a series of unfortunate misunderstandings and bad decisions — on both sides!

The result was that these aging aliens who lacked diplomatic skills ended up butting heads with a race who tended to shoot first and ask questions later!

And so, what could have been a mutually beneficial situation became a disaster in which the aliens got their wrinkled asses kicked and we lost many of our best landmarks in Washington!

Even when the aliens tried to take their case to the Supreme Court, they did it way too aggressively! Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: