ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn it, I tried, but there's just not much detail there. I couldn't really improve it. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof that we gals LIKE Gort!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness, Eadie, you certainly have some intelligent and charming friends! I'd love to see a picture of them wearing All Sci-Fi T-shirts. Very Happy

I tried to find a sharper version of this terrific shot with the two gals and their main squeeze (if you catch my drift Wink ) but there are none better, so I just worked a little magic on the one you posted and cleaned it up a bit.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:53 am; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfff! You just wanted that string bikini more sharply defined. Rolling Eyes

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Pfff! You just wanted that string bikini more sharply defined. Rolling Eyes

Yes, I'm a fashion hound. It's the bikini I wanted to see. Right.
Skullislander
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is an actual guy in that suit, the rivets would be a-poppin' under the circumstances.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skullislander wrote:
If there is an actual guy in that suit, the rivets would be a-poppin' under the circumstances.

The suit was made of rubber . . . so, the guy inside is all set for the absolute "safest sex" in history! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Skullislander
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching this beloved classic just yesterday a trivial thought popped into my head. How did Klaatu pay the landlady of the boarding house he was staying at?

We saw him give Bobby diamonds when they were in the park because "Mr.Carpenter" did not have U.S. currency at all.

So was he giving diamonds to the landlady instead of cash or a check?
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaatu informs the Secretary of State that he (Klaatu) is on earth to discuss his mission with all the nations of the planet & not just one or only the member nations of the United Nations.

Wonder why then he chose or was ordered to land his star ship in the U.S in Washington, D.C.?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
So, was he giving diamonds to the landlady instead of cash or a check?

Yes, there was a deleted scene in which a flustered Klaatu tried to explain to the landlady that the diamond he gave her did NOT mean they were engaged! Shocked

Pow wrote:
Wonder why then he chose or was ordered to land his star ship in the U.S in Washington,D.C.?

Remember how the news commentators said they the UFO was "circling the Earth at 4,000 mph?"

Obviously Gort was piloting the ship (it was actually his, not Klaatu's, of course), and Gort was looking for a spot that was designed for flying saucers!

When Gort saw the big circle shown below (a Google Earth photo of the area right across the street from the White House, and the actual landing place we saw in the movie) he naturally assumed that it was the designated landing area for visiting alien saucers! Cool

Notice the White House in the upper right corner in the picture below. (In the Google Earth picture above, the While House is out of frame at the very top.)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IMDB trivia item below is easily refuted. Rolling Eyes

Because the stationary Gort could not stand on the angled ramp, Lock Martin had to wear the Gort suit in the background during the final sequence. Martin, who was frail, had to wear the suit for so long that he began having spasms in his arms. During Klaatu's final speech, Gort's arms can be seen moving slightly.

Note from me: This is clearly bogus! The jpeg on the left is the "stationary Gort", and he's standing in about the same spot as poor Lock Martin stood in the final scene!

Look at the majestic proportions of the "stationary Gort" compared to the "walking Gort", with its shorter height and "nerdy" high waist line! Imagine how much more impressive the "stationary Gort" would have looked in this climatic scene!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my all time fav sf film from the 50s.

Caught a mistake for the first time today.

Klaatu "borrows" a suit from the dry cleaners that belonged to a Major Carpenter.

On the sleeve we see a tag for it that has the date a 07/18/1951.

However, when the space ship first lands one of the news commentators remarks what a nice spring day it is.

Last edited by Pow on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skullislander
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in saying this was the first MAJOR sci-fi movie of the 50s decade?

There were likely contenders made or released before this, but they were more than likely put out by minor studios [ie not Paramount/ Fox M-G-M/ Warners etc etc]

Fox are still major players today in the sci-fi genre of course and they have backed a lot of the major players in sci-fi movie History: Planet of the Apes [all versions, Alien Star Wars and many, many more].
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skullislander wrote:
Am I right in saying this was the first MAJOR sci-fi movie of the 50s decade?

Actually, that honor goes to Destination Moon in 1950. Very Happy

Pow, you are absolutely correct about that dating error! Cool

_______

At the 15 second mark in the clip below, just seconds before the ship first appears, famous news commentator H.V. Kaltenborn says, "Here in the nations capitol there are signs of normalcy. The beautiful spring weather, the tourist crowds around the public monuments and other buildings"

_The best flying saucer arrival in cinematic history

I don't normal read the "Goofs" items on IMDB, but I wondered if your keen-eyed observation is listed there. As a matter of fact, it is. Very Happy

As pointed out in an earlier Goof, H.V. Kaltenborn refers to "the beautiful spring weather", whilst later on, the tag on the suit Klaatu has "borrowed" shows the date 7-18-51. Bobby, at one point, asks his mother if he has to go to school tomorrow, and later there's another reference to his being in school. Unless Bobby has been flunking out and is attending summer school, he would not be going to school in July.

And I also found the interesting item below.

When Bobby is doing his math homework, Klaatu looks over his shoulder and says: "All you have to remember is, first find the common denominator, then divide." Division of fractions doesn't require a common denominator. In fact, the original script says "subtract". (However, Klaatu's method could work. e.g. To divide 1/3 by 1/4 find the common denominator and re-express as 4/12 divided by 3/12. Then simply divide the 4 by 3 to get the answer: 1 and 1/3. Ten out of ten for alien mathematics!)

But this next item is not entirely accurate.

Three muzzle flashes, one report! In the close-up of the quick-triggered soldier atop the tank turret, we see and hear him fire his pistol, but for the sharp-eyed, the wide-shot of the tank crew that follows, reveals the visible but silent muzzle flash of both soldiers' side arms.

I studied the scene carefully and discovered that the statement is only partially correct.

After the closeup of the panic-stricken soldier firing at Klaatu, we see the wounded alien fall down, and then the camera cuts back to the three soldiers in the foreground, with the tank directly behind them. The man in the middle quickly turns and look back at the two soldiers in the tank.

At that moment, we see the pistol in the hand of the soldier on the right recoil, and a puff of smoke blows away very quickly. (The only way I could get the smoke to show in a jpeg was to catch it in front of the soldier's head before the wind whipped it away to the right.)

The pistol held by the soldier on the left does NOT appear to recoil, nor do we see a puff of smoke from it. In that brief instant, the smoke is gone in the half-second it took for the man in the foreground to turn his head slightly farther.

Remember, all this happens after the first closeup of the soldier who fires, and after Klaatu falls to the ground. We then see the man in the foreground turn around quickly in response to the first gunshot.

Therefore this can't just be a "long view" of the initial shot, because the man in front of the tank is already reacting to that first shot by turning around, just as this second shot occurs.

But since we don't hear the sound of the gun, Robert Wise clearly didn't intend for the soldier to actually fire a second shot at Klaatu.

But wait! There's more!

The screen shot below is of the soldier who shoots Klaatu. (Please note the black handle located right below his hand.)

The first time we see both him and his buddy is while Klaatu is coming down the ramp. (Again notice the black handle below his pistol, indicating that the shooter is the man on the left side.)

And now take another look at the jpeg which shows the puff of smoke from the gun when the second shot was fired at Klaatu. Notice anything odd? Hmmmm?

The man who fired the first time in the closeup was on the LEFT! But the man who fired the second time in the wider shot after Klaatu went down is on the RIGHT ! Shocked

So, the final conclusion of the Brewster Commission concerning the near-assassination of Ambassador Klaatu is that this was definitely NOT the work of a "lone gunman"!

In a way, the IMDB member who claimed that both soldiers fired was right after all, but they didn't fire at the same moment, as he stated. The man on the left fired the first time in the closeup, and the man on the right fired the second time in the wider shot (producing the puff of smoke).

I suspect the sunlight reflecting off the pistol held by the man on the left is what the IMDB member saw when he said we could see the "muzzle flash of both soldiers' side arms."

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: