ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Still seems to me that a race that can construct spaceships & robots could perfect a stun setting for their 'bots.

Actually I agree with you. If policemen had wireless tasers (or the more gentle "stun setting" from Star Trek) we wouldn't have so many of these brutal police shootings that are often completely unjustified. So, yes, the Robot Space Police should have ways to deal with law breaks that are less drastic than complete annihilation.

The Day the Earth Stood Still presents a simplistic system of "justice" that makes no attempt to come to a fair judgement — it just convicts and executes on the spot.

Convenient, yes. Fair and just, no.

Krel wrote:
The purpose of the robots is terror. They want you to understand, that if you step out of line, the penalty is DEATH! No excuses. No second chances. Nothing but complete compliance will be accepted.

You're absolutely right, David, and that's why it seems so disturbingly similar to Nazi Germany.

I'd love to see a remake about Klaatu coming to Earth for two reasons, not just one. He's here to deliver his warning, but he's also here to secretly ask us to help his people overthrow the robot police system and set up a better way to keep the peace.

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify that I don't believe that the Gorts function as a civilian police force. I believe that they function to eliminate large scale violence that could start a war. A bank robbery, or homicide* would not be a concern for a Gort, the regular Police would handle such things. But events like those in the middle east? There will be peace, because there will be a whole lot less people.

David.

* Large scale homicides like a gang war would attract the attention of a Gort, because it has a destabilizing effect on society.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good point, Krel! Very Happy

The Gort Patrol is like the army, not the cops. I'm ashamed to say that this never quite occurred to me before.

But now that I'm aware of this distinction, it occurs to me that Klaatu's society would have a very extensive and well organized police force, and they might even have robot police officers working under the supervision of the sentient beings.

I guess we should bear in mind that Klaatu's interplanetary society is made up of many worlds, and each species would have it's own way of doing things. So, my suggestion above might only be applicable (if at all) to the "human" aliens like Klaatu.

But the most interesting thing that occurred to me because of your comment is the idea that the police forces and the governments of the various worlds would quite naturally report important information to the Gort Patrol whenever they thought some group, nation, or world was engaged in suspicious behavior that might be a prelude to aggression.

So, I realize now that the Gort Patrol wouldn't just lurch around everywhere, looking over the shoulders (metaphorically speaking) of the citizens to catch them misbehaving. The citizens would have organizations set up deal with the relatively minor "acts of aggression" that you described.

Krel, I formally withdraw my characterization of the Gort Patrol as being similar to Nazi Germany. That was based on a limited understanding of the system they employ.

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Krel, I formally withdraw my characterization of the Gort Patrol as being similar to Nazi Germany. That was based on a limited understanding of the system they employ.

Bud I still think it is a good characterization. The Gorts are on orbital patrol in their saucers (as Klaatu said), and ANY transgression would be dealt with, swiftly and ruthlessly.

So you would have Gorts performing orbital surveillance, and undoubtedly Gorts would be positioned on the ground. If the saucers are armed with disintegration beam weapons, then they wouldn't even have to land.

Remember Gorts were designed to instill terror in the population, to prevent them from performing prohibited actions. I tend to think that the Gorts wouldn't be too concerned about collateral damage, just the elimination of their targets.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha! Another Krel inspired idea! Cool

As I mention above, the Gort Partol serves various planets with multiple types of aliens. Perhaps some of them are prone to sudden, ill-conceived acts of aggression and don't have very effective police forces of their own.

In those cases the Gort Patrol would have to play hardball and keep a very watchful eye on them. They're the Bad Boys of the galaxy, because their basic nature and thir less well-governed societies cause them to be a greater threat to peace within the Federation of Planets.

Conversely there would be other races who are such total pacifists that they present a temptation to the aggressive races who covet the pacifists resources. These peaceful aliens are heavily dependent on the Gort Patrol to prevent them from the aggressive races who would take advantage of them.

And I'm sure there's a kind of interplanetary United Nations that mediates disputes between the various civilizations and helps them find peaceful compromises. The Gort Patrol would be the enforces of their decision. An alien race who tries to use force to defy an official decision that's been handed down would be dealt with by the Gort Patrol.

As for the Nazi comparison, The Third Reich made terrible decisions and enforced them with violence. The Gort Patrol leaves governing to the sentient beings, and anybody who attempts to use violence to defy the government gets zapped.

Krel, I'm not sure I agree that the Gort Patrol was "designed to instill terror in the population, to prevent them from performing prohibited actions." Isn't that like saying that policemen with guns, and courts which give death penalties, are "designed to instill terror"?

Armed policemen and judges who give the death penalty are just severe consequences for violent acts that harm society.

In the case of Klaatu's society, they created an army of machines designed to be incorruptible judges. They carry out executions in extreme cases when the evidence (acts of aggression) is so obvious there's no need for a trial.

Yes, I know, that's simplistic — and that's why I agree with Klaatu when he said, "We do not claim to have achieved perfection . . . "

But it might actually be the only way a legal system which exists to serve numerous alien races with wildly diverse cultures and diametrically opposed natures possibly COULD work!

At some point, the legal wrangling has to stop and somebody has to take corrective action. Shocked

So, Klaatu's interplanetary society drew a line in the dirt and said, "You can only go so far — and no farther! And if you do, just keep in mind . . . there's a new sheriff in town."

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
As for the Nazi comparison, The Third Reich made terrible decisions and enforced them with violence.

But that's exactly what Klaatu's people have done. They made a horrible decision for themselves, and forced it onto the Earth.

Klaatu's people made a voluntary choice to live under the Sword of Damocles, Earth didn't. There is no telling how many other planets they have put under their thumb.

Klaatu said that the Gorts were made to scare people, a weapon to horrible too contemplate, to scare them into peace. To keep them in line. If there is fighting, the machine doesn't care who started it, or who's in the right. Both sides are going to cease to exist.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember though guys....They only were concerned with threats that could involve THEM! The Gorts didn't concern themselves with the Civil War, the Thirty years War, the Spanish American war etc.

They ONLY became concerned with the Earth after the birth of the Atomic Bomb and development of the rocket!

We can beat the heck out of ourselves as long as we didn't extend it out to them! They had no problem with aggression ...Just so long as it didn't have any effect on them!

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wrote earlier, at the time Klaatu arrived on Earth, atomic weapons were still in their infancy. Rockets on all sides were blowing up on the pads, or shortly after liftoff, and the first successful artificial satellite was six years away. There is no way mankind was going to be a potential threat for a long, long time. ESPECIALLY to people we had no idea even existed!

Klaatu made it very clear that once the murder machines were in place, they would deal with ANY acts of aggression they observed. It was the only way his people could stop themselves from being in constant conflict with each other. It is an interplanetary version of Mutually Assured Destruction (M.A.D.) by third party. Start fighting and BOTH sides get eliminated.

Except they can never outgrow their verson of M.A.D., which can never be shut off.

To subject, to force this system on others without their consent is evil, worse than any done on this planet, because barring unforeseen circumstances, this evil never ends.

And no matter how humanity would have behaved, it was inevitable that Klaatu's people would have forced this on Earth. They could never allow an uncowed civilization. That would be the greatest threat to their civilization.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, David, but with all due respect I think your understanding of what was presented in the movie is flawed in several very important ways. Please let me explain. I'll summarize what Klaatu said and what it meant, and then I'll post the full text of his farewell address to back it up.

Krel wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
As for the Nazi comparison, The Third Reich made terrible decisions and enforced them with violence.

But that's exactly what Klaatu's people have done. They made a horrible decision for themselves, and forced it onto the Earth.

The Nazis' slaughtered the Jews to get rid of them. But the Gort Patrol protects victims against aggression. That's their whole purpose — they protect innocent parties against anyone who is attacking them.

I'm sure we both agree that there's a huge difference between the Nazis' intolerable decision to exterminate the Jews just because they were Jews, and the justified response of the Gort Patrol when they take action against a group who have committed violent aggression against another group.

Klaatu did not come here to force us to be subjugated by them. He came to warn us that if we committed acts of aggression against them, the robots would destroy the aggressor — meaning us.

Krel wrote:
And no matter how humanity would have behaved, it was inevitable that Klaatu's people would have forced this on Earth. They could never allow an uncowed civilization. That would be the greatest threat to their civilization.

I'm sorry, David, but that's the exact opposite of what Klaatu described. Consider this statement.

"It is no concern of ours how you run you own planet. But if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder."

There's an old saying. "The right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins".

That's a very important point. The Gort Patrol doesn't interfere in any way with the acts of peaceful people. They're purpose is to protect innocent people from guilty parties who are threatening some kind of harm.

Krel wrote:
Klaatu said that the Gorts were made to scare people, a weapon too horrible to contemplate, to scare them into peace. To keep them in line. If there is fighting, the machine doesn't care who started it, or who's in the right. Both sides are going to cease to exist.

Frankly this statement surprised me. Confused

The last sentence alone shows just how completely you've misunderstood the purpose of the robots. Klaatu said, "For our policemen, we created a race of robots. Their function is to patrol the planets in spaceships like this one and preserve the peace."

If the robots did what you described above, it would be like having our police show up to stop a bank robbery . . . and then just kill everybody in the bank, both the robbers and the victims! Shocked

To prove that you're mistaken about what you said, please consider this important part of Klaatu's speech.

"At the first sign of violence, they act automatically against the aggressor."

They don't just "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out." Laughing

As I've said, the stated purpose of the robots is to protect innocent parties from those who threaten them. They're literally "policemen". Could Klaatu have made that any plainer?

Krel wrote:
Klaatu's people made a voluntary choice to live under the Sword of Damocles, Earth didn't. There is no telling how many other planets they have put under their thumb.

Again you're mistaken. Absolutely nobody is living "under their thumb".

Here's how I know that.

If mankind never develops faster-than-light starships so we can begin interacting with the other civilizations, we won't ever see Klaatu's people or the robots again! After all, why should we? Klaatu said they don't give a damn what we do here on Earth! As long as can get no further than our tiny solar system, we could nuke ourselves out a existence, and they wouldn't bat an eye! Confused

And how do I know that?

Think for a moment what Klaatu said to Bernhardt. "As long you were fighting among yourselves with your primitive tanks and aircraft, we were unconcerned. But soon one of your nations will apply atomic energy to spaceships. That will create a threat to the peace and security of other planets."

Naturally he was referring to spaceships that could reach other star system. The "other planets" he refers to are obviously not Mars and Venus.

And just for the recorder, Klaatu was NOT saying we had to stay on Earth because we were considered too dangerous to be allowed to leave our planet.

Again, how do I know that? Because Klaatu said so in his final speech.

"Your choice is simple: join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer. "

Krel wrote:
To subject, to force this system on others without their consent is evil, worse than any done on this planet, because barring unforeseen circumstances, this evil never ends.

David, they aren't "forcing this system on others without their consent". The only thing they're doing is employing the robots to exercise their own right to protect themselves from violent aggression. I'm sure you don't view that basic right as being"evil".

But naturally no one has the right to inflict harm on others. That IS evil.

Everything I've said is spelled out in both Klaatu's discussion with Professor Barnhardt and in his final speech. Here's the full speech, word for word. I've emphasized the parts that clearly support my statements.

I am leaving soon, and you will forgive me if I speak bluntly.

The universe grows smaller every day, and the threat of aggression by any group, anywhere, can no longer be tolerated. There must be security for all, or no one is secure.

Now, this does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. Your ancestors knew this when they made laws to govern themselves and hired policemen to enforce them.

We, of the other planets, have long accepted this principle. We have an organization for the mutual protection of all planets and for the complete elimination of aggression.

The test of any such higher authority is, of course, the police force that supports it. For our policemen, we created a race of robots. Their function is to patrol the planets in spaceships like this one and preserve the peace. In matters of aggression, we have given them absolute power over us. This power cannot be revoked.

At the first sign of violence, they act automatically against the aggressor. The penalty for provoking their action is too terrible to risk.

The result is, we live in peace, without arms or armies, secure in the knowledge that we are free from aggression and war. Free to pursue more profitable enterprises.

Now, we do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system, and it works.

I came here to give you these facts. It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet, but if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder.

Your choice is simple: join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer.

The decision rests with you.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"As long you were fighting among yourselves with your primitive tanks and aircraft, we were unconcerned. But soon one of your nations will apply atomic energy to spaceships. That will create a threat to the peace and security of other planets."

I think this basically proves my point. The "violence" and "aggression" refereed to was to EXTERNAL actions, not mere internal ones. That participating planets moved to eliminating internal strife was a case of serendipity, not pure enforcement.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely correct! Very Happy

Serendipitous wars are (because of their intrinsic nature) strictly excluded from any interference by the galactically mobilize mechanical enforcement units, because said units are restricted to incidences involving unaffiliated forces from diverse planets — as prescribed by the mechanical units primary mandates!

Actually, it's all very simple.
Cool
gofffan
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Klaatu's warning was to cease and desist in hostile actions against each other on the Earth, or they would make sure we would be obliterated when we got around to space travel.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gofffan, in view of these two statements, the first one delivered to Professor Barnhardt and the second in Klaltu's closing remarks —

"As long you were fighting among yourselves with your primitive tanks and aircraft, we were unconcerned. But soon one of your nations will apply atomic energy to spaceships. That will create a threat to the peace and security of other planets."

"It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet, but if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder."

— it's clear that the alien society didn't care what we did in our own back yard, but if we started trouble on their "property" (the rest of the galaxy), the robots would do what he stated below.

"At the first sign of violence, they act automatically against the aggressor. The penalty for provoking their actions is too terrible to risk."

Basically, Police Officer Gort wasn't here to write us a ticket. He just let us off with a "warning" this time . . . Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's always possible that the Gorts have been in existance for a very long time...millions of years in fact.

What if...Sometime in the remote past...or even more recently...something caused a "glitch" in their programing?

With the assumption that the Gorts are self replicating machines...replacing parts and entire units as they wear out over time...these "glitchs" could spread like a trojan virus through the entire corp.

The result would be that they have become the "Nazi"-like threat you've spoken of and Klatuu was indeed looking for the help of an upstart violent race of intelligent beings to help end the terrorist threat to all that the Gorts have become.

What do you think????

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
What do you think????

What I think, sir, is that you are brilliant!

Your suggestion works perfectly with the concept I pitched concerning Klaatu coming to Earth with a hidden agenda to deliver a plea for help from the planetary federation, who want to break free from the control of the Robot Police.

Your concept includes several elements that never occurred to me before, such as the idea that the coalition of alien life forms is ancient. Perhaps Klaatu's humanoid species only evolved within the last hundred thousand years and then joined the coalition when they developed hyperdrive.

I'm even more impressed by your idea that the factories which construct the robots are totally automated to prevent anyone from tampering with either their designs or their programing. That's consistent with Klaatu's statement when he said, " . . . this power cannot be revoked.

Gord, that's perfect!

Under those circumstances it's not hard to imagine the problem you so eloquently described. But the real stroke of genius, my clever friend, is your idea that the Robot Police Force worked well for eons, a system that originally included the sentient beings as part of the "judgement" process, rather than allowing the robots to be the only ones who determined who is to be executed.

That's the aspect of the Gort robots I've always been bothered by. I've always put the blame for the fact that the robots were judge, jury, and executioners entirely on the aliens' own plan, and they foolishly abdicated their responsiblity to make such choices.

Gord, you've elevated the story I suggested to a much higher level! And you've even found a way to bring the situation to a point that fits Krel's version of what Gort and the robots do.

By gum, we were BOTH right! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: