ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
And "We here should be highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain . . ." makes no sense. "We here should be highly resolved" makes sense. But it's no improvement on old Abe.

Right. I did leave out the D on "resolved". Thanks for pointing that out.

I fixed it.

And I think it needs it. But then, I like prom dressers, too.
Very Happy
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind as well that he was speaking to a 19th Century audience. Speech grows more flowery as you regress in time. Try reading some of the works of writers around the time of the Revolutionary War.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wayne, You're right, of course.

I never meant to suggest that Lincoln's Gettysburg address was not written well, I just said that the last sentence was overly long and wordy by today's standards of writing and "didn't exactly knock my socks off" the way it did for good old Klaatu.

I was just suggesting that according to the accepted rules of language today, it would (as you stated) be a bit less flowery if it were written today.

Much to Klaatu's credit, he appreciated the message in spite of the fact that he learned English from "monitoring [our] radio broadcast for a good many years".

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Bear in mind as well that he was speaking to a 19th Century audience. Speech grows more flowery as you regress in time. Try reading some of the works of writers around the time of the Revolutionary War.

What's mostly forgotten today is that, at the dedication ceremony of the Gettysburg National Cemetery, the famous orator Edward Everett spoke for more than two hours before President Lincoln gave his two-minute address. Nobody remembers, or cares to remember, what Everett bloviated about, but everyone remembers Lincoln's pithy but powerful speech. Lincoln's use of language was actually brief and economical by contemporary standards.

Here's the complete text of Everett's Gettysburg speech. Enter if you dare.

http://voicesofdemocracy.umd.edu/everett-gettysburg-address-speech-text/

Oh, were we talking about The Day the Earth Stood Still?
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm reading this thread, I'm wearing my Klaatu barada nikto t-shirt.

When I ordered this t-shirt 2 months ago my wife asked what it was. After 32 years married I had never shown her the movie! I corrected the situation that evening.

For me I hadn't watched it in about a decade.

We both enjoyed it. It's gratifying for me that rewatching a film I've seen many times still held me in the story, but more impressive was that it held my wife's attention well and she liked the movie. Thats not bad for a movie made 67 years ago in a completely different society.

It was a great story then, It's still a great story today. For me the Film is perfect, Nothing needs to change. I never saw the remake for that reason, There is no profit in it.

Most of my thoughts have already been posted here by others, so I won't repeat their words.

Suffice it to say this was a very important film, for both science fiction and main stream films.

Edit:

If anyone wants the T-shirt

https://www.cafepress.com/mf/59872192/gortrobot_tshirt?productId=1073638675#color=brown
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mach7! Very Happy

I'm glad that my somewhat controversial posts about the Gettysburg address inspired such a fine discussion. You're comment certainly sums up the strong feelings we all have for this great movie.

Bud

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy this exceptional article about one of the greatest science fiction movies ever made, presented in Cinefantastic Volume 4 Number 4.

The article offers a wealth of information about this great movie AND the short story which inspired it. If you've ever wished you could find out absolutely everything about this remarkable film, this is your dream come true! Shocked

While you're reading it, enjoy these two suites from the motion pictures soundtrack. Very Happy

Click on each page here to see a large, easy-to-read version you can zoom in on. Click on the large version again, and then zoom in as close as you want!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good time replacing all (but one) of the pictures in this Starlog article from issue #23. As a result, I think you'll enjoy this enhanced version of the article much more than if I'd just left the original pictures in place.

Click on each page here to see a large, easy-to-read version you can zoom in on. Click on the large version again, and then zoom in as close as you want!

Below each image you'll see this:

Click here to see the original page above, before I enhanced it.

~ Click here to see the original page above, before I enhanced it.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article begins with a brief discussion of the script, and one statement made in this section reminded me of the soap box I get on from time to time when I state my firm belief that Gort really is the “master”, as the robot turns out to be in the surprise ending of the short story,Farewelll to the Master.

__ ___

After all, in Klaatu’s final speech he states this.

“In matters of aggression we have given [the robots] absolute power over us. This power cannot be revoked.”

So, Klaatu is not here to warn us that his race will order the robots to destroy the Earth if we threaten them — he’s here to warn us that the alien races are not in control of the robots. The robots are the masters in a very real way.

Al Taylor doesn’t quite summarize the plot well on the second page, because he makes it sound as if Klaatu delivers his message shortly after landing and then wanders around in public to get to know the local folks. We, of course, know that’s a trifle backwards, but it’s forgivable. Frankly, the thing we don't really need is a summary of the plot for a movie we’ve been watching for many decades.

Al Taylor said something at one point that made me bristled a bit when he describes the scene in which Patrica Neal goes to Gort and delivers those famous “three little words”

I love you!

Just kidding . . . although for all we know that’s what Klaatu barado nikto really means, and THAT's the real reason Gort picked up Patricia and carried her into the ship like Rhett Butler . . . Wink

But Mr. Taylor then states that, “Gort registers the command and goes off to retrieve his master.”

Nope, wrong again, Al. Gort retrieves the ambassador’s body and gives him super-duper CPR. But even if it hadn’t worked, Gort would have needed no further orders, he’d have just turned Earth into a charcoal brickette and left without a backward glance.

Gort was large and in charge.

Robert Wise was interviewed about the production during the filming of Star Trek: The Motion Picture and he said the same thing about the two Gort suits Lock Martin wore which I’ve read in several other articles — he states that one suit had a zipper in the front for rear shots, and the other one had a zipper in the back for front shots.

We actually get a brief glimpse of the alleged front “zipper” when Gort walks into view carrying Patricia Neal. I realize the term used is not really important, but that’s no zipper, folks. It’s a set of laces which closes the crude cut in the thick rubber of the chest.

So, why is it always referred to a “zipper”? Shocked

However, I’m sure there were many times when poor Lock Martin wished there was zipper in the front, a bit lower down.

But hey, I digress. Rolling Eyes

A large part of the remainder of the article is the familiar story about how Patricia Neal dangled on wires like Mary Martin in Peter Pan when Gort is supposed to be carrying her. But, while reading it I realized that the description of the method used to support her in Gort's loving arms always says it was done with a “crane”.

A crane? Confused

I’d really like to see this crane sometime. Obviously it’s not a huge mechanism like the ones at construction sites, so I can’t quite visualize what this “crane” looks like.

Can anybody supply a picture of what was used? If so, thanks. (And if not . . . “Gort! Sick ‘em!”)

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, I would think that they used either a camera crane, or a lighting crane. Considering their normal weight load, both could easily support the weight of an actor/actress. Also it could have been a construction crane that they use to build large sets. The scene was filmed on the backlot, so they would have had easy access to the set.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
A large part of the remainder of the article is the familiar story about how Patricia Neal dangled on wires like Mary Martin in Peter Pan when Gort is supposed to be carrying her. But, while reading it I realized that the description of the method used to support her in Gort's loving arms always says it was done with a “crane”.

The same process was used in FORBIDDEN PLANET when Robby carried Doc Ostrow in his arms after the brain boost. I believe a dummy was also used in the effect for some shots.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a camera crane shown in the photo on p. 14 of the CFQ article. It's also on p. 47 of the Starlog article.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Bud, I would think that they used either a camera crane, or a lighting crane. Considering their normal weight load, both could easily support the weight of an actor/actress. Also it could have been a construction crane that they use to build large sets. The scene was filmed on the backlot, so they would have had easy access to the set.

David, you've solved the mystery and made me feel a bit foolish by doing so. Embarassed

As soon as I read your message I instantly realized that everything you said was correct and I'd actually seen film footage of the equipment you mentioned in several movies which had "behind-the-scenes" segments!

Thank you, sir! Very Happy

I'll bet somewhere there's a BTS photo — or even a rare film clip — which shows Gort, Miss Neal, and the whole amazing arrangement with the wires and the crane which worked the bit of magic used to created that amazing scene!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trivia } In the 1952 Bowery Boys movie ''No Holds Barred,''Satch is a wrestler.

In the movie finale he wrestles in the space uniform worn by Klaatu from TDTESS.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A premium give-away:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: