ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gog (1954)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 13 trivia items for this movie. Here's a few of the ones I found the most interesting. Very Happy

The robots Gog and Magog were operated by midgets.

Note from me: This idea was used again in Silent Running, in a way, when the small "drones" were operated by four multiple-amputee actors: Mark Persons, Steve Brown, Cheryl Sparks, and Larry Whisenhunt. The operators walked on their hands, and the size of the drone suits was clearly too small for full-sized people.

The centrifuge scene was filmed at USC. The actors became sick and were replaced by dummies.

Note from me: I'm not sure I believe that the centrifuge is anything but a rather badly designed prop. It spins the people around while they're sitting sideways — which would just throw them out if it didn't spin slowly!

As of April 2005, only one complete dual-projector stereoscopic 3-D print is known to exist anywhere in the world. The Left and Right prints do not match: the color is severely faded on one side, but the film is still viewable in 3-D.

Note from me: This sad situation is no longer true, since the 3D Blu-ray is supposed to be excellent.

Director Herbert L. Strock had very poor vision in one eye and consequently was unable to properly gauge how the 3-D effects were, and had to rely on others to tell him. Confidentially, Andr?? De Toth, who directed House of Wax (1953), arguably the most famous 3-D film, only had one eye and could not see the 3-D effects at all.

Note from me: It's sad that the directors of these two famous 3D film were unable to fully enjoy their own movies.

The 2016 Kino-Lorber 3D Blu-ray release of this movie features an audio commentary by Tom Weaver, Bob Furmanek and David Schecter.

Note from me: I've had the Blu-ray for several months, but I haven't watched it yet. I also don't have 3D equipment. However, I'm planning to watch the 2D version this evening (Oct 29th) in the chat room with Bulldogtrekker and Gord Green. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:40 am; edited 2 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The robots Gog and Magog were operated by midgets.

Note from me: This idea was used again in Silent Running, in a way, with the added fact that the midgets were paraplegics.

The actors inside the drone suits were neither midgets (hypopituitary dwarfs) nor paraplegics (people who are paralyzed from the waist down). They were bilateral amputees.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Islamic apocalyptic tradition, the end of the world would be preceded by the release of Gog and Magog, whose destruction by God in a single night would usher in the Day of Resurrection.

The Gog prophecy is meant to be fulfilled at the approach of what is called the "end of days", but not necessarily the end of the world.

Jewish eschatology viewed Gog and Magog as enemies to be defeated by the Messiah, which will usher in the age of the Messiah.

Christianity's interpretation is more starkly apocalyptic: making Gog and Magog allies of Satan against God at the end of the millennium, as can be read in the Book of Revelation.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, soctpens. I corrected my statement.

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the space suits that they are wearing on the merry-go-round centrifuge, they are the space suits from "Abbott and Costello Go To Mars".

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
If you look at the space suits that they are wearing on the merry-go-round centrifuge, they are the space suits from "Abbott and Costello Go To Mars".

Which were originally made for Destination Moon. Those suits showed up in at least a dozen movies.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine if today more physical effect elements were reused the cost of films could be controlled and greatly reduced..

Some of the best films were created by individuals who were more concerned by vision than budget.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:

scotpens wrote:
Which were originally made for Destination Moon. Those suits showed up in at least a dozen movies.

Yes, they did, but the suits in Gog and A&B go to Mars aren't the full Destination Moon suits. The cloth suits themselves definitely look like the ones in Destination Moon, but the "accessories" are not the same.

The straps are white and crossed, instead of black and parallel.

The control panels on the abdomen are flat against the body, and they curve around it — instead of protruding out horizontally, and facing upward.

The helmets, of course, are drastically different.

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouTube has a clean, sharp HD copy of Gog without the French subtitles. Grab it while you can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFW3i2hVxbQ
Phantom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: GOG Reply with quote

I saw this one in February 1955 (I have a copy of the newspaper ad). It was on a double with a Judy Canova movie Untamed Heiress, of which I don't remember a frame (probably lucky, at that).

Except for the clunky multi-appendage robots and Michael Fox's chilly death (which raised my hair), I had forgotten the rest of the movie.

Snapped up the dvd as soon as it became available. It has its faults, but it isn't exceptionally bad like Killers From Space. It's okay for occasional viewing when nothing else is available.

Apart from the robots swinging their arms around like drunken boxers, the best scene in the film was the laser attack. As for those tuning forks (or whatever they were) I could never understand why someone in the room didn't throw something over them to deaden the sound.

Haven't seen Magnetic Monster lately. Liked it when I did.

I guess my favorite of those mentioned in this thread is Riders To The Stars, the 1950's version of The Right Stuff. For a kid in those days, wading through the "mush" was par for the course until we got to the good stuff in space. Never forgot Richard Carlson coming unglued when he saw that corpse float past his window.

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the suits made for "Destination Moon", the studio also created 7 or 8 lower grade suits and gear for publicity purposes. I don't know if the Hero suits were rented out to other productions, but the publicity suits were.

Considering that the A&C suits and helmets showed up in other productions, and appear to be the same color, they may very well be copies of the DM suit design. Note only the suits look like the DM ones and were of one color, the helmets and backpacks are different. DM set the standard for what space suits are suppose to look like, and Hollywood tends to copy designs that were popular in other productions. Even currently, how many spaceship and installation designs still look like they could be in "Alien"?

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: GOG Reply with quote

Phantom wrote:
I guess my favorite of those mentioned in this thread is Riders To The Stars, the 1950's version of The Right Stuff. For a kid in those days, wading through the "mush" was par for the course until we got to the good stuff in space. Never forgot Richard Carlson coming unglued when he saw that corpse float past his window.

Bulldogtrekker (the late, lamented Tim Edwards), and I used to enjoy movie chats fairly often each week, and he was also a fan of Riders To The Stars. He talked me into watching it with him on one occasion, even though my opinion of was (to put it politely) less lofty than his. Confused

My first viewing the movie (after reading about it for years in Famous Monsters of Filmland) was when TCM showed it in 2002 as part of a New Years Day Sci-Fi marathon.

Unfortunately, the movie was a huge letdown. The basic premise didn't exactly impress me.

Catching meteoroids in space to analyze them because they get so hot in the Earth's atmosphere when they fall to Earth that it (somehow) changes their molecular structure — well, that's not exactly good science. Rolling Eyes

However, I actually envy folks like Bulldogtrekker and Phantom who saw Riders to the Stars when they were wide-eyed youths who could enjoy this movie without picking apart its flaws — the same way I still enjoy my own boyhood favorites.
Very Happy
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings. This will be my first post upon re-emerging at All Sci-Fi after a hiatus of a couple (or a few) years. Since I'm working on an orthographic drawing, this time of the Gog robot(s), I figured this would be as good a thread as any.

I'm still working on the drawing, so for now I'll just add a few more publicity photos to the one Bud already posted. All of these turned up in an image search of the internet.

It's been taking some time to complete the drawing due to the intense detail of all the froo-froo on the robots and trying to find good images to work from. I have the Blu-ray edition of the movie, but my computer has only a DVD drive. I've ordered an external BD drive for my PC so I can capture decent images, so we'll see how it goes.

To give everybody something to do in the meantime, has anybody spotted the difference between the Gog and Magog robots?

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the best bunch of sci-fi freeks on the web!

You will have a lot of catching up to do...but heck...that's a lot of fun anyway ! We've all missed your contributions !

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gord. It's good to be back in finer company.

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: