ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Universal Back Lot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Universal Back Lot Reply with quote

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nifty photo,Butch.

Always been intrigued by the backlots & "towns"constructed by the various studios that have been used by both film & tv to shoot on.

Some years back I bought a book that was a fine compilation of western towns built for filming.
Some were on the backlots of the studios but others were located elsewhere.

One of my favorite books on the topic is all about the MGM Studio backlot. Excellent book with tons of terrific photos & history.
The MGM backlot was considered the finest of all the studio backlots. Sadly it was demolished back in the 70s.

And since westerns are now a rarely filmed genre by either film studios or the networks,many of those great ole western towns have been torn down.

Last edited by Pow on Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time nearly every studio had a ranch with a herd of cattle for filming westerns, sadly few studios have a ranch today. One of the few is Disney, which makes money renting it out to other studios. You know that covered bridge that is in so many movies, tv shows, and commercials? It is on the Disney ranch.

David.
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Some years back I bought a book that was a fine compilation of western towns built for filming.

Cool. Do you recall the title? I've only ever visited one western town built for films-- Alamo Village in Bracketville, Texas, which was built for John Wayne's The Alamo in the late '50s. It was a super memorable place to see as a kid, though, having been a huge fan of the movie back then. We Texans were always big on the Alamo. I believe it's still there, but may not be open to the public anymore.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh! So sorry to get back to you so late, Rocky.

The book is An Ambush of Ghosts: A Personal Guide to Favorite Western Film Locations by David Rothel.

Published by Empire Publishing, Inc. (919) 427-5850.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Rocky Jones hasn't posted on All Sci-Fi since 2016 — six years ago. Sad

He's one of over 30 active members who have drifted away from All Sci-Fi over the years, despite the occasional "mass emails" I've sent out, encouraging them to return, and also to reply to the emails if they've forgotten their password.

Rocky Jones wrote:
We Texans were always big on the Alamo. I believe it's still there, but may not be open to the public anymore.

I Googled the question, "Is the Alamo still open to the public?" and got this.

The Alamo is free to visit! You can go inside the church and walk around the grounds, as well as visit all the various buildings which are open to the public. There is a fee if you wish to rent an audio guide or take a guided tour.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: