ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello Down There (1968)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Hello Down There (1968) Reply with quote

This light-weight domestic comedy is easily dismissed as cinematic fluff, but it's worth a little respect just for the names associated with it.

The large cast is comprised of faces we've come to know and love: Jim Backus, Ken Barry, Richard Dreyfuss, Bruce Gordon, Janet Leigh, Harvey Lembeck, Roddy McDowall, Tony Randall, Arnold Stang, and Merv Griffin (as himself).

Executive producer Ivan Tors was the man behind "Science Fiction Theater" in the 1950s, as well as other sci-fi projects over the years (many of which had undersea themes).

The director is none other than the legendary Jack Arnold ("It Came from Outer Space", "The Space Children", etc.). Diving scenes were directed by Riccou Browning, with whom Arnold collaborated on "The Creature from the Black Lagoon". "Hello Down There" might not be Blue Ribbon material, but it certainly has a good pedigree.

The plot centers on an "average" family (Randall, Leigh, and two kids) living in an experimental undersea house. The teenagers are part of a rock band that delivers cutesy songs periodically, a gimmick which plagued many of the films from the middle-and-late 1960s.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:15 am; edited 3 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this one, Bud.

Always thought it was an intriguing premise having a family live in an undersea dwelling. Not unlike Lost In Space & Star Trek: The Next Generation having families venture out into space.

Irwin Allen did a TV-pilot, City Beneath The Sea, in the 70s. Lavish looking production. Again it interested me as a concept having families & workers live in a city that was underwater.

Unfortunately being an Allen production I'm sure in no time it would have devolved into mindless action & nil character development. Razz
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you saw this at the right age to appreciate it without being too critical, Pow. That's the secret to enjoying any of the less-than-perfect productions we often remember fondly.

This 1:41 minute clip doesn't exactly dazzle the viewer with its intelligent presentation of what life beneath the waves is like in the film. Watch it you'll see what I mean. Rolling Eyes

___________________ Hello Down There - clip

And you just haven't lived until you see Richard Dreyfus (a few years and a bushy head of hair before he battled Jaws) as both lead guitar and lead singer, delivering a mellow rock tune called "Little Goldfish".

If added it to our Sci-Fi Love Themes and Rock Riffs from the 50s and 60s thread.
Smile

_________________________ Little Goldfish

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
And you just haven't lived until you see Richard Dreyfus (a few years and a bushy head of hair before he battled Jaws) as both lead guitar and lead singer, delivering a mellow rock tune called "Little Goldfish".

I really wish you hadn't shown that.

WayneO
-----------
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that open pool in the middle of the house, that is going to be one humid environment. And with salt water, good luck keeping all the metal from corroding, not to mention what it is going to do to all the cloth and paper.

But I didn't think of any of that when I was a kid. I just thought it was neat.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: