ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Nutty Professor (1963)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phantom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Just Who Was Buddy Love? Reply with quote

This was Lewis' biggest hit, coming after a string of successes that don't fare well among modern audiences.

I admit he has always been an acquired taste. I've always had the impression he was trying to emulate the silent comedians.

Many of his routines in his films don't involve dialogue, particularly The Bell Boy, in which he is mute throughout until a closing verbal gag.

Oh, yeah. Who was Buddy Love?

Although he always denied it, some people have suggested that Lewis was doing a savage send up of Dean Martin. There was still a great deal of animosity between them in 1963.

I wonder what Martin thought about it.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comment about Jerry doing an obnoxious veresion Dean Martin. Being a big fan of Dean, I think Jerry should have tried to really imitate Dean's suave and friendly manner, instead of portraying a selfish narcissist who insulted people.

I'm pretty sure Jerry could have done a truly cool version of Buddy Love, sweeping the luscious Miss Stevens off her feet. That's what he was trying to do with the formula he took, and it would be fun to see him succeed in a big way! Cool

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By jove Bud you are on to something regarding Jerry playing Buddy Love in a charming and fun manner ala Carey Grant in his funnier films.

The nasty Buddy Love is so unlikable that he's hard to stomach. I get that Lewis was doing his version of Mr.Hyde with Buddy. After all, Hyde was rotten & evil and Love was barely a step up from Hyde.

Lewis did indeed deny that Buddy was a spoof (a mean one) of his former comedy team partner Dean Martin.

Funny thing though is that I've read numerous things that stated Dean was a well liked, laid back and naturally funny gentleman.

Lewis on the other hand comes off by many who worked with him or knew him as a raging egomaniac who could treat people savagely.

My impression was always that Jerry's character of Buddy Love wasn't a hateful satire on Dean.

Buddy Love was really the dark side to Jerry that Lewis knew so well and at times did act like in real life.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha! Thanks.

My thinking is that since Dr. Jekyll was a moral man and Hyde was the polar opposite, they should have applied that concept to the Jerry Lewis character by having him change from a clumsy, goofy, social misfit to a handsome, dazzling personality who was admired by one and all.

The funny ending would work better that way, the scene in which Stella and Jerry walk away from the camera and we see that she has two bottles of the formula the hip pockets of her tight jeans so that could transform Jerry whenever she wanted to. Laughing

The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

I've been in love with Stella Stevens ever since she played Appassionata Von Climax in Lil Abner in 1959. Shes hotter than Texas chilly in this movie and ever other film she's appeared in, not to mention TV appearances in shows like Banacek.

And that, I'm sorry to say, is about the only reason to watch this Jerry Lewis movie. But it's a fairly good reason in itself. Here's the trailer.

You should check out The Ballad of Cable Hogue, she cavorts around in her underwear, gets naked in a barrel bath and runs off baring her backside.

Love Stella Twisted Evil
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Louis Stevenson's story stripped bare.

Jerry Lewis stars, directs, produces and co-writes (with Bill Richmond) this comedy take on Robert Louis Stevenson's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

The Nutty Professor is a film I adored as a child, and truth be told most of Jerry Lewis' films made a humorous mark in my spotty youth, but not many can now be viewed in adulthood and still tickle the rib cage with the same mirthful impact. The Nutty Professor still does to me now what it first did many many years ago.

Reading some of the reviews around the internet you can see some people going a bit deeper than is really necessary, yes there are some interesting things to delve into if you so wish, (beauty skin deep, the meek rising, be yourself, social acceptance issues etc etc) but ultimately it's a comedy spin on the Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde story with Jerry Lewis in sublime pratfall mode.

Lewis' reading of the "good & bad" side of one man is basically he expressing he himself, and he has great fun with both sides of the character. There's some very funny sequences along the way, reference Kelp's attempt at bulking up at the gym and jitterbugging at the dance, and all things build to the climax where common sense prevails as the heart strings get tugged and the smile lands firmly on the face. Joining Lewis in the froth broth as the love interest is Stella Stevens, who is not only socko sexy and gorgeous - splendidly attired in Edith Head's figure hugging costumes - she also proves to be great foil for both of Lewis' characterisations.

Awash with Technicolor and comic vibrancy, The Nutty Professor is a classic case of comedic film making done with invention and a sheer willingness to entertain. 9/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: