ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 2nd Best Secret Agent in the Whole Wide World (1965)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: The 2nd Best Secret Agent in the Whole Wide World (1965) Reply with quote

[Also released as: "Licensed to Kill"]

The long, jokey title warns the viewer that (A) this is a jump-on-the-band-wagon Bond imitator, and (B) it makes no pretense of being serious.

Tom Adams (who looks like George Lazenby's brother) is the secret agent with the obligatory square jaw, cool manner, and magnetic attraction to anything with female hormones. Veronica Hurst is his sexy assistant, Karl Stepanek is the scientist who's anti-gravity device is the focal point of the plot, and the Russians are the villains (surprise!).

As Bond imitators go, this one isn't too bad. The American version has a title theme sung by Sammy Davis, Jr. Also starring Peter Bull, John Huxtable, John Arnatt. Directed by Lindsay Shonteff. It was followed by a sequel: "Where Bullets Fly".

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold your ears and play the trailer for this one on Youtube. It starts out loud.

Watch for a quick scene in which secret agent Tom Adams is in bed with a lovely blond who looks suspiciously like Margaret Nolan — "Dink" from Goldfinger, in the early poolside scene in Miami with Connery. She's also the girl who actually appears on the posters and in the title work, painted gold.

The trailer has a scene in which the blond says, "It's funny, but I met someone like you once, down in Florida. His name was . . . James. James something."

The scene with Margret Nolan is at the 33:30 mark in the movie below. It's a different scene than the one in the thumbnail below.

The Second Best Secret Agent In The Whole Wide World (1965)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie also has a Mike Connors joke, where he wears his C96 Mauser holstered in the back, and mentions that he got the idea from an American show.

Mike Connors did a show named "Tight Rope". He played an undercover cop who carried a revolver in a holster in the small of his back. People would search him, find one weapon, only to have him produce one when needed. Because of the show, Police had to change how they searched people for weapons. Mike Connors liked it so much, that he carried his weapon the same way in "Mannix".

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Peter Gunn (Craig Stevens) wearing his holster at the small of his back too, and there was a short scene in the opening credits of him facing the camera with his hands up because somebody behind the camera had the drop on him. He would pretend to turn around slowly as it he'd been told to do so — and then suddenly reach back, draw the gun, spin around and shoot the unseen man! Shocked

I couldn't find a YouTube video that showed that opening shot, but I did find this excellent video of the title theme from the original album . . . which I bought at a yard sale years ago.

I remember my high school band playing this at football games. I was the Duane Eddy extended version.

Henry Mancini rocks! Cool

________________________ Peter Gunn Theme

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got several 45 rpm records by Duane Eddy. I love his music. Here's the version of the Peter Gunn theme he made popular with high school bands in the 1960s.

Ah yes . . . the lost days of my youth. Cool

_________ Peter Gunn - the Duane Eddy version

filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Second To None, and Second Only To . . . Reply with quote

Great trailer. The loud volume reminds me of the ear splitting (even on a video) sound of a locomotive horn, the engineers having to wear ear plugs on the job.

Sammy Davis song was good, as were the songs he sung in Johnny Cool.

Superlatives and their qualifications and variations are often arguable.

The first superlative is: Second To None, and the second is Second Only To.

In North Carolina, the Fort Fisher Hermit was, allegedly, Second only to the Battleship North Carolina as that state's Biggest Tourist Attraction.

And, in South Carolina, the Sunset Lodge Bawdy House on US Hwy 17, outside of Georgetown, was allegedly Second Only To Fort Sumter, as the most widely known landmark in that state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: